RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Is there any hope for this old faded photo

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 06-08-2005, 10:49 PM
adlep adlep is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 4
Is there any hope for this old faded photo

If you look at the blue channel, it is actually not that bad. Should I just scrap the R and G channels and work specifically with the B ?
Is there any way to quickly remove the nasty yellow overcast?
Link to an old photo (2.8M JPEG)
Auto levels sortha-kida works, but the resulting image still has some extra red in it, I just can not remove...
:-(
Help...
Reply With Quote top
  #2  
Old 06-08-2005, 11:07 PM
Caitlin's Avatar
Caitlin Caitlin is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 494
adlep, if you could include a small version of your photo as an attachment to your post it will encourage more people to have a look at it. It also means that the example is here for future forum readers to look at, long after your link may be dead.
Reply With Quote top
  #3  
Old 06-09-2005, 12:43 AM
soleah's Avatar
soleah soleah is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Guam
Posts: 170
Hi adlep,

I took the liberty of posting your original in acceptable "forum" size.

You're so right in wanting to throw out the R & G channel.

One way of doing this is to use the Channel Mixer adjustment layer. Check the Monochrome check box. This will convert the image to grayscale.
Adjust the Red and Green color sliders to 0 and the Blue color slider to +100%. (2nd attachment)

Then I added Levels adj. layer for tonality and contrast. (3rd attachment)

I hope this helps. Welcome to RP
Attached Images
File Type: jpg adlepOrig.jpg (99.5 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg adlepCM.jpg (96.8 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg adlepLEVELS.jpg (97.4 KB, 75 views)
Reply With Quote top
  #4  
Old 06-09-2005, 12:19 PM
adlep adlep is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by soleah
Hi adlep,

I took the liberty of posting your original in acceptable "forum" size.

You're so right in wanting to throw out the R & G channel.

One way of doing this is to use the Channel Mixer adjustment layer. Check the Monochrome check box. This will convert the image to grayscale.
Adjust the Red and Green color sliders to 0 and the Blue color slider to +100%. (2nd attachment)

Then I added Levels adj. layer for tonality and contrast. (3rd attachment)

I hope this helps. Welcome to RP
This looks much better, I am going to apply your suggestions. One more thing I can try to do to that picture is to add another ajustment layer in the multiply mode to bring some of the additional details out...
Check out the pillow - multiplying this part couple of times exposes nice patterns on it...
Opinions?
Also, thanks for your feedback...
Reply With Quote top
  #5  
Old 06-09-2005, 01:28 PM
creeduk's Avatar
creeduk creeduk is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 297
Strange result if you multiply the image several times first the green channel becomes the only useable channel not the blue. I thought this was interesting.

Last edited by creeduk; 06-09-2005 at 01:57 PM.
Reply With Quote top
  #6  
Old 06-09-2005, 01:36 PM
chrishoggy's Avatar
chrishoggy chrishoggy is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Yorkshire
Posts: 578
Blog Entries: 1
Just a quick example and part of the pic done in CS2.

1/ delete red & green channels
2/ duplicate layer and set at 70% opacity
3/ adjusted contrast up a little
4/ flatten image and run through neat image
5/ used clone & spot repair tool to clean up some areas

Gives you a rough idea on what to do. Bit more time would give better results
Reply With Quote top
  #7  
Old 06-09-2005, 01:46 PM
Gary Richardson's Avatar
Gary Richardson Gary Richardson is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Yorkshire, England
Posts: 2,717
Hi Adlep, had a play with your picture.

Desaturated image. Selected stained areas, and adjusted levels to match rest of image, cloned out joins. Cloned out numerous small blemishes.

Copied to new layer, applied Polaroid Dust and Scratches filter to take out dust marks. Applied cover all mask, the using soft white brush, painted out blemishes.

Copied layer, set blend mode to Multiply, adjusted layer opacity.

Adjusted levels to up contrast a little.

Ran through Neat Image to reduce noise.

Created sepia version by applying colour layer.

Hope this helps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Girl copy_filtered.jpg (85.6 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg Girl copy_filtered sepia.jpg (85.3 KB, 49 views)
Reply With Quote top
  #8  
Old 06-10-2005, 09:18 PM
adlep adlep is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrishoggy
Just a quick example and part of the pic done in CS2.

1/ delete red & green channels
2/ duplicate layer and set at 70% opacity
3/ adjusted contrast up a little
4/ flatten image and run through neat image
5/ used clone & spot repair tool to clean up some areas

Gives you a rough idea on what to do. Bit more time would give better results
NICE...
Thanks for your feedback folks. I am going to play with it some mor eand then post my final work for critique...

I love PS
Reply With Quote top
  #9  
Old 06-11-2005, 04:28 AM
Flora's Avatar
Flora Flora is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Milan, Italy
Posts: 2,325
Blog Entries: 3
Hi adlep,

Welcome to RP!

What Caitlin said about posting the 100KB version in addition to (whenever possible) a link to a larger size picture .....

I had a go at your picture ...
After increasing overall tone and contrast and using Neat Image to minimize the noise, I used Curves, Levels, Brightness&Contrast on selected parts of the picture to enhance specific features ... (the pillow's pattern for example) ....

I did only a very basic 'clean-up' using the Polaroid D&S Filter (like Gary did), didn't bother with the baby's dress (I hate those white dresses with no details at all .... ) and I kept my restoration on the 'darker' side just to show how many details you can actually see ....

I'm posting a greyscale version and a light sepia one (which I actually prefer) ....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F_GirlGrey.jpg (96.0 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg F_GirlSepia.jpg (98.0 KB, 69 views)
Reply With Quote top
  #10  
Old 06-12-2005, 01:34 AM
adlep adlep is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flora
Hi adlep,

Welcome to RP!

What Caitlin said about posting the 100KB version in addition to (whenever possible) a link to a larger size picture .....

I had a go at your picture ...
After increasing overall tone and contrast and using Neat Image to minimize the noise, I used Curves, Levels, Brightness&Contrast on selected parts of the picture to enhance specific features ... (the pillow's pattern for example) ....

I did only a very basic 'clean-up' using the Polaroid D&S Filter (like Gary did), didn't bother with the baby's dress (I hate those white dresses with no details at all .... ) and I kept my restoration on the 'darker' side just to show how many details you can actually see ....

I'm posting a greyscale version and a light sepia one (which I actually prefer) ....
What can I say?
I am absolutely stunned to see such a level of restoration possible.
This is some good stuff here Flora...

I will aim to duplicate your level of restoration
Reply With Quote top
Reply

  RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
retouch of an old photo booth picture unimatrix001 Photo Restoration 1 10-04-2007 10:49 PM
Oxidation to photo Joramilea Photo Restoration 18 10-25-2006 08:44 PM
restored photo for critique and help! auroraskye Critiques 8 09-24-2006 01:46 PM
Faded Photo restoration HELP! samwise Photo Restoration 15 07-11-2005 05:52 AM
Faded Photo Found In The Attic geezer Image Help 5 06-23-2005 07:44 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:08 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright © 2016 Doug Nelson. All Rights Reserved