Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Faded Colours and image

Old 06-10-2005, 11:23 PM
Faded Colours and image

I need some input on this, if I may ask. Any opinions on the best way to approach this? The guy, the groom, in the gray suit, is the father of a friend of mine, and this is the ONLY picture that anyone seems to have of him. I want to do me best to fix this picture, but also maybe give him something extra special of his dad? This is from a 600 dpi scan of the "original", which I am sure is not the original, as there is a visible texture, like a paper textue, but it is not actually on the paper. Should I scan it differently? Should a scrap the red channel? Whatta ya'll think? Any help here is greatly appreciated.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg chris fam small for web help.jpg (89.4 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg chris fam clip for detail.jpg (80.3 KB, 32 views)

Last edited by 1STLITE; 06-10-2005 at 11:25 PM. Reason: might help if I actually gave you the pictures, huh?
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-11-2005, 11:22 AM
The noise was maximum in the red channel. The green channel was relatively good. I copied the green channel to the red one also. Got rid of the noise but it affected the colour. Tried channel mixer to set the picture right. I am sure some expert from RP forum will tell you how to get the colour right.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg chris-fam-004-s.jpg (83.5 KB, 29 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-11-2005, 12:46 PM
I didn't finish this print, as you can see. However, what I did was use the eye droppers in Levels and selected a grey point,(the boys jacket), a white point, (the wedding dress), and a black point, (the boys pants). I did a Color Balance Adjustment Layer and reduced the red in the print. Next, a Selective Color Adjustment Layer and took out the colors in the wedding dress. I made and Empty Layer and used the Clone Stamp Tool, the Healing Brush and the Spot Healing brush on the red spots.

The print does have a "pebbled" texture to it. I think in the '70's some "drug store" print finishing establishments offered this texture in their prints. Also, the print is "soft", probably taken with a Instamatic type camera. I made a Merged layer, (keeping the underlying layers) and applied Neat Image. I used the High Pass Sharpening techinique to try and improve the soft image.

I don't know if the FFT process would help much on the texture finish or not. Flora's tutorial, (listed on the site), would soften an already soft image, so I don't know if that would be a solution either.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg chris fam-F.jpg (91.3 KB, 44 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-11-2005, 02:54 PM
hi Dawn, as a quick way of getting rid of the red blotches, try the following.

Select Red Channel, copy to an Alpha channel. Now apply Polaroid Dust and Scratches filter to the Alpha, tick to remove light coloured dust.

Now slect this and paste it into the Red Channel, voila.

For some of the bigger red blotches, it may be necessary to clone them out (I haven't done this). Try doing this on the red channel only, to keep info in other channels.

haven't done anything else to image posted.

Hope this helps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg chris fam small for web help copy.jpg (86.5 KB, 18 views)

Last edited by Gary Richardson; 06-11-2005 at 03:00 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-11-2005, 05:55 PM
Hi Dawn,

Attached is pretty much a combinations of the techniques already mentioned here.

Rather than using the Polaroid filter, I just use the built in Photoshop Dust & Scratches filter. It can be done directly on the Red channel (though I realise this is a bit more risky - I always go for the quick method when I can ) The key to using the D&S filter is to drag the Radius up until all the dust vanishes, while the threadshold is at 0. Then pull the threshold up as far as you can without the dust reappearing.

That paper texture is a big problem. I tried removing it with Neat Image, not very successfully. Working on a higher resolution copy may make it easier, though I didn't have any greater success with your cut out detail. As it is printed on, chances are it is not completely regular.

*Edit* I've also attached a version with a much more extreme Neat Image filter on a duplicate layer (A bit too extreme - but shows how far Neat Image can take it), with a layer mask to reveal the less softened lower layer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg chris-fam-smallb.jpg (96.0 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg chris-fam-neatimage.jpg (98.3 KB, 22 views)

Last edited by Caitlin; 06-11-2005 at 07:50 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-12-2005, 01:01 AM

I tend to do what Gary does ... making a copy of the damaged channel, work on it and paste it back ... and usually it works very well ... But if I need to correct only selected parts of the Channel, instead of copying it as an Alpha Channel, I copy it as a Layer, duplicate it, correct the duplicate and use a Layer Mask to apply the corrections only to the copy of the original Channel .... Merge, copy, paste back and delete the now unnecessary Layers .... This way I can use every Filter etc. on the Layer/Channel, and correct where I want only without touching the good parts of it ...

I used the FFT Filter to remove the photo texture and it actually worked very well (Attachment 2) ... Look out for a Tutorial on it ... ByRo wants to write one this week-end

I used the levels for correcting tone, contrast and colour, I 'vignetted' the groom's head, enhanced it with Curves and Brightness&Contrast and sharpened it a bit ...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F_chris-small-web.jpg (97.6 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg ChrisFFT.jpg (96.4 KB, 23 views)

Last edited by Flora; 06-13-2005 at 09:20 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-13-2005, 07:52 AM
Thank ya'll so much for all your help. I am off now to make another attempt at it, and will post the results when I get done. You all are awesome!

Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help