RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Need Advice with clean and fix faded pic

Old 06-22-2005, 12:56 PM

Hi Tom,

I cheated with the wall, and stole it from another picture (one of the challenge images), one with a similar planked wall. Copied and pasted into picture, then adjusted size and hue/sat to get a reasonable match. Masked it to fit round girls head.

Flora, yes, plank wall is fine. I know I've used planked wall, but both are valid.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-22-2005, 01:23 PM

I think the wall is different. If you check the marked area (the circle) you can see that there must be some vertical wood sheets. It seems there are 2 horizontal sheet above those. That means when looking from the side instead of this..

\
\
\
\
\
\

its more like this..
_
||
||_
||_'
||
||_
||_'
||
||

Also there is something above the dark horizontal area (see marked area). It's over the complete width of the picture. Most likely another wood sheet.

Just an idea..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg family1b.jpg (69.8 KB, 21 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-22-2005, 11:58 PM

Another Attempt

Here is another attempt at fixing this picture.

I am very frustrated at this point as the more I try to clean it up, it seems to start evolving into a cartoon type look.

Also, no matter what I do, I can't get the dirty look out of it. I'm using various filters and have followed several tutorials, but end up with it looking like a painting instead of a photo.

The hands are a mess and that is one of the most difficult areas to deal with. I have also added color to it, in hopes that it would bring out some areas that I could work with more closely.

Anyway, here is my latest attempt. I don't wish to go any further until I get some feedback from ya'll.

Thanks for all your help,

Tom
Attached Images
File Type: jpg New-Level.jpg (99.0 KB, 24 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-23-2005, 01:52 AM

Hi Tom,

First of all, be aware that certain areas of this picture will be very difficult to clean up. Most namely the area of the girls hands and the little girls legs.

You will almost certainly not be able to restore this back to an "as new" state, as there is not enough "good" picture data to work with. You may be able to borrow from another image, but this in itself poses significant problems.

Just a few hints when cloning.

1. ALWAYS Clone on a new layer.
2. Be aware of the texture of the image you're working with, and choose a brush thats appropriate (ie vary the hardness/softness to suit).
3. Try varying opacity of brush to blend things in rather than softening brush (sometimes this works better).
4. Vary brush size. Sounds obvious I know, but you'll find its easy to get stuck using a brush of one particular size, when a different sized brush may give better results.
5. Try experimenting with the clone brush set in different blend modes, this can sometimes help with certain cloning difficulties.

By working on a seperate layer, it is easier to correct cloning faults, by simply erasing them and re-doing them. Also you can vary opacity of layer as another adjustment.

Don't try and clone the whole image on one layer, choose a small area and try to get it right. Then another layer, and work on another area.

You can merge layers once things are right to keep file size down (be careful to make sure you're happy with things before you do this, as its difficult to step back once you've merged.)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-23-2005, 02:11 PM

Hi Tom,

what Gary said ...

I'm one for 'as close as possible' to the original and try-everything-you-can, but, in some cases, particularly when good/vital picture data is missing or damaged beyond recognition, it is just not possible ....

One thing I always try to keep in mind is not to lose 'the' focus ... meaning... unless it is some historical 'document', where every single detail can be of vital importance, when working on a picture portraiting people, I concentrate on them ... what good is to put a lot of time and effort to perfectly reconstruct a plain, non-descript background, if then I can't restore the eyes in a face or bring the main subject of the picture to an acceptable condition?

With this in mind, I learnt to 'crop' away, entirely or partially, non vital-damaged parts , I learnt to hide or cover such parts, to borrow from the same or other pictures when reconstruction is nearly impossible ... alas, what I haven't learnt yet is to perform miracles ...
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-23-2005, 02:49 PM

i'm posting this one only to show what the background looks like. i didnt try to clean up the rest of the picture.

also, flora, what exactly does the heal brush do? i dont have anything like this in psp 7.xx and brushes and tools like you're using show me that it may well be time to get better software. you did an excellent job that i would have had to do with a lot of cloning. oh, and how much time did you spend with the heal tools on this one?

Craig
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Image4a.jpg (86.1 KB, 10 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-23-2005, 04:36 PM

Craig,

Thank you very much for your kindness!

The following is the Photoshop Help File definition of the Heal Brush:

Quote:
The Healing Brush tool

The Healing Brush tool lets you correct imperfections, causing them to disappear into the surrounding image. Like the cloning tools, you use the Healing Brush tool to paint with sampled pixels from an image or pattern. However, the Healing Brush tool also matches the texture, lighting, transparency, and shading of the sampled pixels to the pixels being healed. As a result, the repaired pixels blend seamlessly into the rest of the image.
.... and I would add colour as well ...

I'm posting two examples of differences between 'Clone' and Heal ... As you can see, the Clone just covers up .... the Heal corrects blending in .... With the Heal Brush you can also create a pattern of a good part of the picture and use it as a sample for larger areas to be restored, without bothering to sample all the time ... It has its limits of course, but it is a really fantastic Tool!!!

Attachment 1 is just to show you the 'macroscopic' difference between these two Tools .... Attachment 2 shows a practical example of it in what could be a routine restore work ... In both cases I used the same brush size and hardness ans sampled from the same points .... (needless to say ... the heal brush version is the right most one in both attachments... )
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Clone_Heal.jpg (99.5 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg Clone_Heal1.jpg (98.0 KB, 19 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-23-2005, 04:54 PM

thanks flora

yup. that's the tool i need.
Quote:
However, the Healing Brush tool also matches the texture, lighting, transparency, and shading of the sampled pixels to the pixels being healed. As a result, the repaired pixels blend seamlessly into the rest of the image.
let's see.... i'll need a new computer, photoshop cs, corel painter, a new printer, a new house to put them in......

Craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-26-2005, 02:58 PM

One more time

Hi folks,

I've done a little more work on the photo I posted previously and would not like to get more feed back.

I've done some correcting and also colorized it. The coloring was done in hopes of it bringing out more in the image that I can work on.

My problem is keeping the picture from morphing into what looks like a painting.

What would ya'll suggest from here? Thanks in advance!

Tom
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Colorized-Copy_filtered.jpg (89.0 KB, 54 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-28-2005, 05:58 AM

Hi Tom,

You are getting there ...

Your last version isn't much like a painting like your first one was .... just a bit on the 'flat' side for lack of contrast, a little 'over-denoised'' for an old picture ... and, at least on my monitor, the colours look barely there ...

I tried it again using the bigger size (light sepia and partially coloured) ... I replaced the planked wall (not too happy about it ... ) ... and the girl's arm and hand 'borrowing' from another picture ...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F_Damaged-Pic1.jpg (98.1 KB, 37 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help