RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Problem Potpourri

Old 06-22-2005, 10:00 AM

Problem Potpourri

I would certainly appreciate some direction with these photos. I am fairly new to Photoshop (using CS2) and could probably find a tutorial if I knew how to articulate the problem. Alas, I don't. The one of the lady in church was taken on a new digital camera. I would like some direction as to "recovering" this image (if it is even recoverable to any degree).
The young man with the purple stamp is my brother Sisay. It's the only photo of him as a young man in Ethiopia and I would like to know if it can be saved.
The next two are my aunt (my mothers' sister) who passed away several years ago. I would like to colourize them (I have been able to clean them up fairly well) but am somewhat baffled by tutorials and books which assume that I am far more adept than I really am. Any assistance would be immensely appreciated.

Last edited by geezer; 11-06-2007 at 07:22 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-22-2005, 10:10 AM

Welcome to RetouchPRO

I'm sure somebody will be along soon with a whole list of links to help out (otherwise, I will when I get back from lunch)...
In the meantime, could you post a bigger image of the "blurred" lady in the church?

Reply With Quote top
Old 06-22-2005, 10:56 AM

Hi,

Welcome to RP. Had a quick go with the picture of your brother. Unfortunately the stamp went straight through his eyes, so I was unable to do a very good job there. Otherwise it was just a case of cloning and patching. Also a little contrast adjustment with levels and a little sharpening.

It may be possible to superimpose eyes onto the picture, but with a face you know so well, it will be difficult to do without changing his look. I've probably already done that by cloning. As you know his face, it should be easier for you to get it right.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sisay 1 copy.jpg (88.7 KB, 47 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-22-2005, 07:47 PM

one way to start

Hi

This is just meant as a way to start..

if you open the channel window and delete red and green the blue channel looks better (because the stain is blue).

I then duplicated the Layer then set the new layer to the multiply mode..
because it was then too dark I lowered the opacity of the layer... both of those things in the layers window.

at some point I changed the photo to greyscale then back to RGB... i'm not sure if that was neccessary though.

anyhow then I flattened the image..

I hope you get lots of advice.. and enjoy the experience

RonDon
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sisay-1b.jpg (26.8 KB, 34 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-22-2005, 10:07 PM

In gratitude

Thank you all so very much for your timely assistance. I was certainly overwhelmed that such a response was forthcoming. Here is a larger copy of the Greek lady. Thanks again.

Reply With Quote top
Old 06-23-2005, 02:47 PM

Hi geezer,

Welcome to RP!

I tried the 'Greek Lady', but got no acceptable results .... Unfortunately it's very, very blurred (a lot of duplications) ... and I'm afraid nothing really works when the blurring is so extreme ....

One question .... could you please, post a bigger size of your aunt's pictures as well? .... They are very small and this makes working on them difficult

Just follow the second link under my signature if you are not sure about size and resolution...
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-23-2005, 03:34 PM

i gave the lady in church a shot. ran this about 5 times with some of the rendering times running over 8 minutes. it's pretty severely blurred....camera shake, but i improved it a bit.

Craig
Attached Images
File Type: jpg oldladydeblur2a.jpg (87.1 KB, 41 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-23-2005, 04:49 PM

i also tried this one. this is strictly clone, push and some fine brush work around the eyes. there's prolly an easier way in photoshop; i'm using paint shop pro 7.xx.

Craig
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sisay-1-k-1a.jpg (68.2 KB, 37 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-27-2005, 10:15 AM

A note of thanks to everybody who was not only kind enough to give it a go but whose mini-tutorials are now printed in my burgeoning Photoshop notebook. Flora...here are to pictures of my aunt which you requested. The tutorial on how to have Photoshop do all of the size alteration worked quite well. To Gary, Ro, rondon and Kraellin, my deepest appreciation. I had some success with following your various hints and will send them in the next reply. At the moment, I do believe that my grandchildren are commencing with some type of revolt and so I shall return within the hour.

Reply With Quote top
Old 06-27-2005, 12:52 PM

Hi Geezer:
Welcome to the forum. I am new to photoshop myself. Just purchased CS2. I hardly know the program myself so can not help with the pictures, but if you stick around long enough you will learn a lot and the people here are so kind and helpful, not to say patient with questions and requests for help from a granny...ME.

Which brings me to this...My grands come over often and they offer some "fine" times here too, aren't they grand!! LOL I just wanted to let you know I have this in common with you and hope you got the gang settled before the revolt broke out!! Good luck with your learning experience . Nebgranny

Sending to help you with the grands..LOL
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help