RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Need help with quality in irregular prints

Old 06-26-2005, 05:15 PM

Need help with quality in irregular prints

Hey everyone, just got a roll of film developed and many photos have really ugly quality, and I have no idea where to even begin to fix it. I've tried many things but it just keeps making it look worse. The quality is much different on one part of the photo than the other. And if anyone has the solution to fixing it, could you explain how it was done? It would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ta01.jpg (23.5 KB, 77 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-26-2005, 11:30 PM

Look at the negatives -- do they show the same irregularities? I'd show the prints to the lab and check whether there was an error during development. Perhaps it's caused by lens flare, but if it's a development error, the lab should re-do it if the negatives aren't damaged.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-27-2005, 02:38 AM

Thanks for your response. Unfortunately, I just checked the negatives and they have the same irregularities as the actual photos. I'm thinking something was just wrong with my film...it was a year old and I didn't leave it refrigerated as long as I should have, or perhaps it went through one too many x-ray machines at airports, I'm not sure.

Well do you think there's anyway to make it look a little nicer through one of the graphics programs? Particularly making the quality of the strange triangle area at the bottom of the photo to match the quality of the rest of the photo? Thanks.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-27-2005, 05:05 AM

hi Lino,

Haven't tried to fix all the issues in your picture, only the triangular area.

Did rough selection round darker area, copy and paste to new layer.
Adjusted using curves to get match. (To do this, use sample tool to get reading of sky just outside selected area, and sample just inside. Use curves on individual R,G and B channels to match colour numbers).

New layer and clone along joint line with a soft clone brush to hide it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ta01.jpg (62.3 KB, 40 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-27-2005, 07:37 PM

This picture interests me because it has quite a common problem.

I look at pictures like this and think “layer mask & Gradient” the trouble is I don’t know how to do this and finish up using the clone tool set to darken and lighten.

I look at the sky especially and think this could be made into a mask

I’ve spent a long time looking for a tutorial on faded stains and found nothing. Can anyone point me to how this should be done ‘Properly’?

Ken
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ta01ken.jpg (92.6 KB, 40 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-28-2005, 01:36 AM

Hi Ken,

Not quite sure what you're looking for here, but I took your version of the picture, and applied a levels adj layer, adjusted roughly to lighten dark vertical band, then applied a graduated mask, re-adjusted levels, finally painted on mask using soft black brush set to 20% to mask area just to left of band.

Hope this helps, any questions I'll be glad to answer.

Haven't tried to correct sea problems here, I'd probably do a rough selection round that, feather it, then adj levels or curves (whichever gave best results).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Layers.jpg (15.3 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg ta01ken copy.jpg (92.7 KB, 24 views)

Last edited by Gary Richardson; 06-28-2005 at 01:46 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-28-2005, 06:18 AM

Hi linoleum,

Welcome to RP!

Quite a bit of uneven fading and discolorations in this picture!!!

I had a go ... I used the Curves on the fadings, Levels applied to the individual channels to restore the colours, Hue&Saturation and Selective colors for the discolorations ....

Ken,

I haven't found a 'good-for-all' method which can deal with faded stains, stains, fading or discolorations .... Generally speaking, I approach these problems as Gary said ... a rough selection first, but then it could be Curves, Levels, Hue&Saturation, Selective Colors, Brightness/Contrast, Apply Image .... you name it ....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F_ta01.jpg (99.7 KB, 45 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-28-2005, 09:23 AM

My thoughts were to use something like Floras Channel Mask Tutorial Steps 1 and 2.
http://retouchpro.com/tutorials/?m=show&id=65
Then instead of selecting just the highlights in step 3 to select the whole picture and add a layer mask to select maybe the whole sky, as in enclosed sample. (masked very quickly)

I thought that this could be used somehow to repair the sky. But it looks like I was wrong.

Ken
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mask.jpg (76.9 KB, 17 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-28-2005, 09:45 AM

Interesting idea Ken, can't see any reason why it shouldn't work in principle, worth experimenting with in any case.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-29-2005, 10:14 AM

Ken,

a 'right' Channel Mask isn't very easy to achieve in this case as it works mostly with strong contrasts and isolates shadows/highlights ... all of it nearly non-existent in this image ...

What I tried, after reading your post, is a middle-tones mask ... which worked better than a 'plain' Channel Mask .... But since here we have very uneven light/dark and colour fadings a mask should be created for each individual problem area ... That's why, in my opinion, quick masking is much faster and just as efficient for this picture.

Attachment 1 > Mid-Tones Mask
Attachment 2 > Corrected/Refined and Blurred Mid-Tones Mask
Attachment 3 > B&A Curves correction with Mid-Tones Mask (no further mask refining was applied).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mid_Tones-Mask.jpg (98.4 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg B_Mid_Tones-Mask.jpg (52.3 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg MT_Maks.jpg (99.5 KB, 16 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help