Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Need help restoring Painting

Old 07-06-2005, 02:44 PM
Flora makes the Hue/Saturation tool look very easy. The big problem I have with this tool is knowing which slider to adjust and in which direction.
Using the eyedropper does not seem to help as even when you know the HSL values you want this does not seem to help in finding the correct values on the sliders.
Flora seems to be able to do this ‘by eye’
Does anyone know a way to do this ‘By the Numbers’?

Reply With Quote top
Old 07-06-2005, 04:21 PM
Smile Hi Hardeep

I decided to give your painting restoration a try as my 2nd post to the site.
I wasn't on my main computer so I only had Photoshop Elements 2.0 available at the time.
I decided to try to bring out the colors in the painting, while trying to maintain the texture and repairing any age damage.
I started with a levels adjustment to bring up the colors a bit.
In order to restore the color I selected each color separately and created a new layer for them and adjusted each one. I set the tolerance on the magic wand selection tool at 50 and when all was said and done I had about 15 layers of various colors. I then simply went and used the replace color on each until I found tones that I liked.
After I had the colors adjusted to where I wanted them I used the clone tool to fix any age damage that still needed to be repaired.
To be sure the texture was still intact I ran a texture filter on the whole picture. Still a few spots that need a little TLC but I have to run.. maybe will bring it over to Photoshop 7 and see if I can't work out the last few details.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg hpim0035 skmcb-3.jpg (29.5 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg skmcb-hpim0035.jpg (91.4 KB, 12 views)

Last edited by skmcb; 07-08-2005 at 01:22 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-06-2005, 04:40 PM
Introduction, 3 assumptions and first post.

Greetings every one and venerable ones,

I am your newest newbie, just joined yesterday and hope you bear with me if my posting somehow gets corrupted with the images.
Pertaining to this beautiful painting of Hardeep Singh's, I am making three assumptions off the bat:

1) The copied image is flat coming out of the digicam (washed out).
2) The use of flash lighting has resulted in uneven lighting (center more).
3) The color is off.

I may be wrong or right about it, but here is the image and the layers pallette explaining my workflow.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hardeep1_800.jpg (98.4 KB, 16 views)
File Type: png LayersPallette.png (21.7 KB, 10 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-07-2005, 12:59 AM
Hi All,

Thanks for taking the time to answer my queries.

Kraellin, based on your explanation, I fiddled with the Hue and Separation tool until I realised that changing the HSL sliders for 'red' affects only the cracks. So I changed those until the sky looked better. It still didnt look as good as Flora's though. Since the photograph didnt have good contrast etc for a print, I 'auto contrast'ed it but that only made the cracks show a little again. So, I undid that and used the manual contrast to get to a decent tradeoff.

Flora, thanks for your detailed explanation. I know its always harder to explain than do. Will try the detailed procedure today.

skmb, your stuff looks good. Although there is a little sidden meeting between the trees and the sky, its still very nice. Will try this too, thanks.

berwin, thanks.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-07-2005, 04:16 AM
Flora, was able to replicate the steps - amazing how so simple steps could do something so wonderful. How did you arrive at the numbers? Maybe its just experience

skmcb, found it hard to replicate your steps. overall understood the method but still, I am not that skilled yet. would need to replicate the steps on the high resolution image to be useful unless you can email the result to me.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-07-2005, 02:23 PM

yup, flora does great work.

am looking forward to see your own rendition.

Reply With Quote top
Old 07-08-2005, 01:49 AM
The first one is what I did based on Flora's suggestion, the second what I had done earlier with clone and neat image (awful). I have one more version, a composite of various layers that I made previous to this post which is more bareable than the neat image one but I cant post because I dont have it on this computer. skmb also send me her version, which is also beautiful and brings out colours much better.

I would certainly want to contribute to keeping this wonderful community alive. Would send in my (small) contribution soon.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HPIM0035_p1.jpg (85.7 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg HPIM0035_p2.jpg (53.8 KB, 12 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help