RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Lens Glare + Colour Cast

Old 07-10-2005, 08:17 AM

Lens Glare + Colour Cast

G'day All,
I am a real beginner at photoshop but have been following tutorials all over the place trying to get up to speed, buying mags etc. I can't seem to find anything that helps me with this pic that a friend has given me to fix, If anybody could give me a detailed account on how to fix it or point me in the direction of the suitable tutorial it would be greatly appreciated. It basically looks like you guys can do anything and I am eager to get up to your standards. great work!!!!!!
Thanks in advance Manda
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_4153a.jpg (98.9 KB, 123 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-10-2005, 08:49 AM

I guess you are talking about the lens blur?

It's quite a pain to remove it but can be done. Just create a new layer, mask out everything but the blurred area and adjust it to fit to the rest of the picture with hue/saturation, curves, levels or whatever you like, it only needs some sensivity in your fingertips

I had a very quick approach to it, but don't have the time to make it really perfect, sorry. Especially the edges of blurres can be really annoying

Patrick
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_4153a.jpg (98.0 KB, 89 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-10-2005, 11:08 AM

I did a lot of adjustment layers to get the face more in tune with the overall picture not working about the lens glare in general.

To remove the lens glare, I cloned in palm stems and brances to break up that halo.

Really didn't have time to spend, but it can be fixed if you have time to work on it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg swampy.jpg (72.1 KB, 69 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-11-2005, 12:10 AM

Welcome aboard Manda! I tried to make the white shirts a little whiter and lightened the dark shadows. The lens blur was corrected by cloning the surrounding area and also duplicating and flipping the right side of the man's face. You can slightly alter the eyebrow, smile, etc so that it has a "slightly" different character. Editing your file has caused some artifacting but hopefully it will give you some ideas.

Cheers
Dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg D-Family.jpg (91.7 KB, 67 views)

Last edited by Duv; 07-11-2005 at 12:17 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-11-2005, 07:03 AM

Thumbs down

Thankyou so much for all your help. I am not half as quick as you guys or maybe just a perfectionist. I have had to walk away from this one and work on another one as it is doing my head in. I really didn't think it would be as difficult as it has been to get a good enough quality pic to hang on there wall. If anybody has any other clues on how this could be accomplished it would be greatly appreciated.
Once again thanks to Patrick B, Swampy and duv you got me pointed in the right direction. Patrick B couldn't agree with you more it is very annoying!!!
I have included what I switched to as it seemed more within my limits but if I could would like some comments on how it could have been done better I have included the 2 originals then the one i created from them I will really have to work on there hair on the left hand side and can't seem to get rid of the blue under the girl on the rights neck. any help would be appreciated
Cheers Manda
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_4187a.jpg (99.3 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_4185a.jpg (99.2 KB, 48 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-11-2005, 07:06 AM

one of the 2 i joined together would not up load ?????. I am sure their is prob a better way of doing it but i am just learning
cheers Manda
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-11-2005, 03:31 PM

i took a different approach to this. i've learned a little bit from flora and it helped here.

i made a point to point selection around the lit area. i used point to point because i didnt want the gentleman's face in the selection area.

next, i used HSL on master and lowered the lightness a bit and the saturation a tiny bit. then, because this lit area was primarily in the red channel, oddly enough, i adjusted the red channel levels to more green. the next most prominent was the yellows. i did the same here but made sure i left some yellow there. if look at the background around the lit area you'll see that there is a fair amount of yellow around.

after that, i merged all the layers and started a new image.

on the new image i did do some light cloning in the adjusted area to finalize things a bit, but not a lot.

i then touched up the gentlemen's face a bit with some hand work. it could use more.

then, i adjusted the overal contrast/lighting of the picture.

then i made a selection around each individual's face and sharpened more, especially the folks in the background.

this, of course, added some artifacts and noise. so i used a fairly light setting of jpeg artifact removal to clean things up. et voila'!

Craig
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_4153a-krae-1.jpg (96.3 KB, 52 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-11-2005, 04:10 PM

It's difficult light. What with the green light from the leaves and the grandmother's turquoise dress spraying color cast on all of them, the woman does get a double wammy under the chin.

I suggest you do a general color balance and then lasso areas for further balancing. In the attachment, I used a feather of 5 on the selections.

If the family wants to put these photos on their wall, you could replace the closed-eyes man with his face from the other picture.

PS: I managed to upload the picture; it was a tad above 100k before.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_4185a copy.jpg (93.6 KB, 30 views)

Last edited by Panpan; 07-11-2005 at 04:49 PM. Reason: photo did not upload
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-11-2005, 06:40 PM

for some reason this would not upload before i changeed the name for like the third time and waited till morning and it has hehe prob user error. This is the one that has been merged could somebody please pick it to pieces. Like i said before i realise the left hand corner needs fixing (???? still figuring out best way to do it) and the blue under her chin i am working on (thanks panpan taking your advice) Thanks to the everybody who has responded to my original query with the lens blur. Although everyone's advice has been helpful I don't think I will be able to get this up to wall standard it seems to lose the look of the guy. What do you guys think????
Cheers Manda
Attached Images
File Type: jpg merged.jpg (98.9 KB, 21 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-18-2005, 04:18 PM

Well, I had a go. First I masked off the people, sharpened it with unsharp mask in LAB, then cloned right side of face to the left side, dis some touching up with clone stamp and healing brush - then replaced the origional background after cloning out the lens flair. I think it turned out ok. Any suggestions on what I could have done different? Take Care
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_4153a-copy.jpg (88.2 KB, 37 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help