RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Civil War mustache

Old 07-12-2005, 03:54 AM

My apologies for my last post. I got it all wrong.
I wasn’t happy with what I said and so I checked my facts.

When you flip his moustache it is flipped on a vertical. Because the moustache is already at an angle it must be rotated by TWICE that amount

Therefore the angle to rotate is 7.8x2 = 15.6 Degrees

Select HIS right side of moustache
Copy and Paste
Edit > Transform > Flip Horizontal
Edit > Transform > Rotate
Type -15.6 (Minus for Counter Clockwise)
Move to the correct position

The funny thing is that when you do paste the moustache back at the ‘correct’ angle there is very little sign of a moustache ever being there
Maybe his moustache was not symmetrical in the first place and using the 7.8 degree angle could be better.

I just wanted to post this to correct ‘The logic’

Ya know. I thought your instruction was a little off. At least it seemed so visually. So I actually increasted it But I cant say I was as precise as your -15.6
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-12-2005, 04:23 AM

"i took a shot at this also."

Kraellin,

You really fixed his left eye. I wasnt sure if the original eye was the way it was dud to damage on the paper or if it was somehow related to his blindness. I stayed away from eyebrows becasue I'm no artist. Although now that I think about it I could try and cheat by creating 3D eyebrows in Poser 6. Perhaps the same for the moustache.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-12-2005, 06:28 AM

... Oh, well... lucky me I wasn't born in the Victorian Era .... I just can't stand 'crooked' pictures!!! (I would even try to straighten the 'Leaning Tower of Pisa!!! ... but I don't dare since I would probably be shot on the spot for changing a major tourists attraction )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameraken
Flora
They say there are at least three ways to do everything in Photoshop. I usually look for a fourth way which is far more difficult and time consuming.
... What?!? ... are you telling me that there's more than one way to do things with Photoshop?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjanak
Im not satisfied really because I seemd to have given him plastic surgery or something. Maybe its just because of how I manipulated the shadows/highlights. I've done him 3 times in 4 days(not total hours and not consecutive but close). No reason why I cant work on him from scratch a few more times. Each is a learning experience.
... One more question .... I thought that most of the 'noise' problems where actually compression/JPG artifacts due to the 100 KB limit of the attachments .... Is it that 'bad' at higher resolution too?

Craig,

great job!!
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-12-2005, 11:14 AM

I had another go at getting some detail from this picture

This attachment is completely unretouched

I now think (like craig thought) that he could have a beard at the sides

And I still think the frown is noise

Ken
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cameraken Showing Detail.jpg (92.7 KB, 12 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-12-2005, 01:22 PM

thanks flora. always makes my day to get a compliment from you

i could have done this a bit better, but i was going as much for speed on this one as on quality so i had the polaroid d&s do more of the work than i normally would. this took out some of the detail and gave a bit of a smudged look to things. still passable, but not the best quality. like i said, i was looking for a faster way to do this and it did cut down on the restoration time by a lot.

i also could have made his clothing a bit less grainy and fixed his hands, but those are lesser points and i just wanted to handle the face and major clean up and leave something for pjanak to do

just dont ask me to colorize the bloody thing

Craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-13-2005, 02:33 AM

"One more question .... I thought that most of the 'noise' problems where actually compression/JPG artifacts due to the 100 KB limit of the attachments .... Is it that 'bad' at higher resolution too? "

I have access to the original 1200dpi tif file I scanned. No compression. The noise Im refering to are major scratches and stains. The 100k limit is far too low to be beneficial(unless Im just really bad a posting images)and whats with the claim that I have not typed enough text to justify a replay(does that whenever use the quote button.)

Heres a crop of just his head at a width of 800, 1200dpi and jpeg quality of 70
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-13-2005, 02:43 AM

Heres the image. Keep getting upload errors

Apparently the site cannot manage to accept a 97.7 sized file. So I reduced the jpeg quality to 65
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Scan0010headb.jpg (85.1 KB, 8 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help