RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Civil War mustache

Old 07-10-2005, 02:02 PM

Civil War mustache

Hey all, Im actually pretty proud of this one. I was totally blown away at what detail and quality I was able to recover Using Photoshop. I'm no airbrush artists so I didnt "create" any of the retouch excpet totally repaintign the the white shirt. I tried do give it some depth but my shading is primitive. ANd I had to repaint his neck since it was a mess of shadow and scratches. The original shadow gave it some depth and unfortunately its gone now. It would also see that I have somehow greated a new outline to the right side of his face. I guess through trying to kill all the scratches what do you think?
The main issues for this post are repairing his mustache and blotchy skin.
My process is as follows:

lasso to sperate him from the original background.
Auto Levels
Desature
Major spot healing on parts that really stand out
Shadow.highlight adjustment
Neat image noise reduction.- Just WOW!
More major spot healing
Perhaps another go and shadow/highlight adjustment on the Jacet

Maybe its because of all my spot healing. But his hands now look like he got that MJ disease. His face does too but not as awful

Firs the mustache, I copied HIS right side and pasted it ti his left side. But you can see where the muchstache just seems to stop rather than go up under the nose.
One cannot really draw the a mouse and I dont have a tablet, Im not a drawing artist anyway. Anyone here really good at creating civil war era hair? Any ideas about the blotchy skin? I tried color picking a middle skin tone and airbrushing at about 20% opacity but that seemed to kill what texture and real shape to the head there is. Any ideas about this pic at all? BTW, It's my grandmothers Great Uncle Charlie Nelson in 1866.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Scan0010Final.jpg (98.1 KB, 58 views)

Last edited by pjanak; 07-10-2005 at 02:05 PM. Reason: typos
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-10-2005, 03:14 PM

Pjanak

You’re doing an excellent job and must have spent a long time doing this.

What you may have got wrong is

“I copied HIS right side and pasted it to his left side”

This would have worked if his head had been vertical. But on this picture the head is leaning 7.8 degrees So you would have to rotate his moustache by 7.8 degrees

Select HIS right side of moustache
Copy and Paste
Edit > Transform > Flip Horizontal
Edit > Transform > Rotate
Type -7.8 (Minus for Counter Clockwise)
Move to the correct position

As you can see I have done no other retouching

Ken
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CameraKen.jpg (97.6 KB, 30 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-11-2005, 12:06 AM

Actually I did rotate it. I guess it doesnt look like I did though. Or your just pointing out what I failed to mention. Suprisingly The image "came together" in rather short order. I mean looking at the original you'd expect maybe 24 total hours spent on it. But in realitiy. the longest time spent working on the images was maybe 5 hours. and of the 5 easily taking an hour to eliminate major dust and scratches

So, you didnt paint any of that mustache? It looks good. If not, How did you pull out the better detail of the mustache? Hmm, perhaps I need to explore the original some more.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-11-2005, 03:00 AM

Heres a better improved moustache. I left some noice in for textures sake. But again, I'm no paiter so it still kinda sucks

It appears I cant spell either. LOL
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Scan0010Finalaa.jpg (98.7 KB, 27 views)

Last edited by pjanak; 07-12-2005 at 03:52 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-11-2005, 07:21 AM

Pjanak

My apologies for my last post. I got it all wrong.
I wasn’t happy with what I said and so I checked my facts.

When you flip his moustache it is flipped on a vertical. Because the moustache is already at an angle it must be rotated by TWICE that amount

Therefore the angle to rotate is 7.8x2 = 15.6 Degrees

Select HIS right side of moustache
Copy and Paste
Edit > Transform > Flip Horizontal
Edit > Transform > Rotate
Type -15.6 (Minus for Counter Clockwise)
Move to the correct position

The funny thing is that when you do paste the moustache back at the ‘correct’ angle there is very little sign of a moustache ever being there
Maybe his moustache was not symmetrical in the first place and using the 7.8 degree angle could be better.

I just wanted to post this to correct ‘The logic’

Ken
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tash at 15.6.jpg (99.4 KB, 12 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-11-2005, 07:59 AM

pjanak,

I think you really did a great job with this restoration .... ... Just a couple of things ... The transition between man and new background (particularly around his head) is a 'paste' dead giveaway .... The coloured background was a tad too smooth, the last one is a bit too noisy and too sharp in comparison with the man ....

pjanak, Ken,

I have a question for both of you .... the whole image is askew ... so why the efforts of calculating the rotation of the 'left' moustache ... and not try to straighten the whole image?

Attachment 1 > Straightened image
Attachment 2 > Moustache Detail (also simply copied, flipped and pasted ... no painting involved)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F_Scan0010-orig.jpg (99.9 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg F_Details.jpg (97.4 KB, 25 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-11-2005, 01:30 PM

Flora
They say there are at least three ways to do everything in Photoshop. I usually look for a fourth way which is far more difficult and time consuming.

I think Pjanak has enough knowledge to straighten this if he wants to. This type of ‘leaning’ picture was quite common. It was the Victorian casual look. The photographer and Customer at the time must have liked it like this.

If I were restoring this I probably would not copy his moustache at all as I think there is enough detail in his left side without it.
Nor would I leave in the large frown marks between his eyebrows.
But I do agree with you that I would straighten it up.- Pjanak’s choice.

Ken
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-11-2005, 02:47 PM

moustache flipping.... is this a new sport?

i took a shot at this also.

first, i ran contrast/lightness and HSL to try to bring out some more detail. i didnt care about the colors in hsl because i knew i was going to convert to gray scale. just find the detail first.

then i made a new image from the last and rather than hand remove all the specs, i ran it through polaroid's dust and scratch remover. this saves a LOT of time with clone/heal. but, before i did ran it there, i sharpened more once and did a salt and pepper at about 5/5 and added back some noise, a very small amount and then softened once to smooth all this out a bit.

polaroid's program is nice because you can adjust the level of detail you want to check for and get rid of. but, when doing this, i did the mask first and then erased ALL the mask area around his eyes and lips/moustache. i didnt want to lose any more detail there. i ran the program twice, once for dark specs and once for light.

then i went back to psp and removed the major background noise/specs.

after that, it was all detail work on the face. a bit of cloning on the face. a bit of hand work on the eyes and a mirror of the moustache like others did. a bit more clone, push to clean things up here and there and that's it.

there's more you could do with mine. i didnt touch the hands or hardly any of the clothing. the background could be changed, but i prefer to leave things as close to how they were as possible.

it also wasnt real clear that he didnt have a bit of a beard, but i finally decided this was from shadowing and degradation of the image and simply toned all that down for contrast.

this stuff is always open to interpretation too. my eyes may not look right to others. and the same with the rest of the face and the stache. but then, it's not my image nor my client

Craig
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Image-krae-1e.jpg (95.8 KB, 15 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-12-2005, 02:48 AM

[QUOTE=Flora]pjanak,

I think you really did a great job with this restoration .... ... Just a couple of things ... The transition between man and new background (particularly around his head) is a 'paste' dead giveaway .... The coloured background was a tad too smooth, the last one is a bit too noisy and too sharp in comparison with the man ....

Thanks for the thumbs up. Although I know I could do better. The background was a quick just to make him easier to see. I told my mom that thats it for now until I can do better. Im not satisfied really because I seemd to have given him plastic surgery or something. Maybe its just because of how I manipulated the shadows/highlights. I've done him 3 times in 4 days(not total hours and not consecutive but close). No reason why I cant work on him from scratch a few more times. Each is a learning experience.

pjanak, Ken,

I have a question for both of you .... the whole image is askew ... so why the efforts of calculating the rotation of the 'left' moustache ... and not try to straighten the whole image?

Here is the original with the frame include. I've rotated the image and added a straight line so you can see its not really that much "askew". But rather he is.

QUOTE]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Scan0010-origwith-frame.jpg (98.3 KB, 17 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-12-2005, 03:23 AM

They say there are at least three ways to do everything in Photoshop. I usually look for a fourth way which is far more difficult and time consuming.

LOL

I think Pjanak has enough knowledge to straighten this if he wants to. This type of ‘leaning’ picture was quite common. It was the Victorian casual look. The photographer and Customer at the time must have liked it like this.

If I were restoring this I probably would not copy his moustache at all as I think there is enough detail in his left side without it.

Wow, See I didnt see any detail. All I saw was dusk, scratches and stains.

Nor would I leave in the large frown marks between his eyebrows.
But I do agree with you that I would straighten it up.- Pjanak’s choice.
Ken

I'd leave'em in. They guy was blind but I dont know by how much Life was hard back then so the frown lines show it. Hmm cant post.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help