RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Pictures for display: please, which one?

Old 07-10-2005, 10:57 PM

Pictures for display: please, which one?

This is for display at the reception as an 11 x 14. Would like some crtique. Should I offer to make it at least a 16 x 20 or is the 11x large enough?
Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pr-for-web.jpg (99.5 KB, 69 views)

Last edited by comtradr; 07-10-2005 at 11:42 PM. Reason: easier to compare
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-11-2005, 05:58 AM

Use the left image, as the vignette on the right image does not seem appropriate to the image.
I think the size of the portrait should be proportionate to the space.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-11-2005, 06:03 AM

Hi comtradr,

I'm sorry, but I really don't have a clue on how big a display should be to look better .....

I think that its optimal size depends also on where this display is placed .... I 'translated' your sizes in cm ... they are both 'large' pictures but, if you have enough place the larger size 16 x 20 would surely look great...
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-11-2005, 06:04 AM

Hi Vikki,

We cross-posted ....
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-11-2005, 07:53 AM

Vikki,

Thanks for the input, the bride asked for the 11x14, I might give her the 16x20 upgrade as a special gift ( find something to give them ) I do for one of my larger packages. Tell me when vignetting is more appropriate, is it more masculine, is that why? Guys sometimes are clueless.

Flora,

I think they will have enough room for a a larger print. I should have thought of saying a 16x would look nicer at the time and then told her it was my gift to them. Thanks.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-11-2005, 08:37 AM

Sorry I hadn't clicked on the fact that you were asking which of the two pictures posted we liked most .... I thought you wanted to make one of each ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by comtradr
Tell me when vignetting is more appropriate, is it more masculine, is that why? Guys sometimes are clueless.
... In my opinion there are no 'discriminations' whatsoever regarding vignetting ... it's just a matter of personal taste .... If a vignette at all, for a bride, I would rather go for a soft, 'dreamy', romantic, white vignette .... but this is just my taste ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by comtradr
I think they will have enough room for a a larger print. I should have thought of saying a 16x would look nicer at the time and then told her it was my gift to them. Thanks.
...I think it's very kind of you and I'm sure they'll love it!!!
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-11-2005, 09:18 AM

vignetting is most often used to highlight or focus attention on a subject. it gives contrast and shadowing and so on to draw the attention in. in the case of this subject, i dont think you really need it. and it seems a bit 'burned' or 'smokey' in this case and detracts a bit from the woman. you've already got the drop-shadow framing to give the contrast and i think that's enough in this case. you might try the same effect in white, though. it might work. or maybe just a touch in the corners, but that's up to you. or maybe instead of a gradient vignette and drop shadow you could try a solid to frame the subject with, but pull it back a bit.

then again, what does the gift recipient want? if she likes the vignetting, then go with that

Craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-11-2005, 04:11 PM

I imagine a dark vignette to be appropriate for a dark image. Images where the overall feel is dark (candlelight settings, moonlit beaches, etc.). The image you have is bright and pristine. Therefore, a dark vignette in this case looks affected, unnatural, and adds nothing to the whole.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-11-2005, 11:59 PM

Flora,

....go for a soft, 'dreamy', romantic, white vignette ....

I think that is good for this one.

Craig,

Thanks for the CC. I won't be able to "pull back" any on this print cause it's already close cropped, white vignette sounds good.

Vikki,

....a dark vignette in this case looks affected, unnatural, and adds nothing to the whole.

Thanks ya'll,
I totally agree, I will try it several ways before deciding on the final print but it will be bright overall of course.

I think the oval might look nice in a larger frame with double matt skin tone/white.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rp-web-wht-vgnt.jpg (95.6 KB, 21 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-12-2005, 02:09 PM

comtradr,

actually, you can crop it closer and with quite good results. i'm including one such image. but, ultimately, what 'looks good' is going to be up to you and the bride.

i've also included some other examples here. in the one with the black vignette, this is what i meant by pulling it back to the corners more. i also made it a solid to get rid of the 'smoky' feeling.

generally, i dont like the 'frame' options in paint shop pro, but a couple werent too bad. i've included one. the others are done with just simple borders.

other possibilities include real frames. i would think a white matte with a thin chrome frame would look nice.

Craig
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Image2.jpg (55.9 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg Image6.jpg (75.6 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg Image11.jpg (89.1 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg Image12.jpg (49.0 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg Image13.jpg (48.0 KB, 8 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help