RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Restoration Project

Old 07-22-2005, 06:17 AM

Restoration Project

In 2001, I moved back home to take care of my mother who was diagnosed with Alzheimer's. While I've been home, I've found some amazingly old pictures from my mother's family. My mother and her brothers and sisters grew up very hard........... abuse, poverty, you name it. I decided to try to gather pictures from her brothers and sisters as well that they might have, restore them, and send them all copies. I dreamed this up in 2002 and wanted to give them the pictures by Christmas of that year. Well, we're heading to Christmas of 2005 and I am really struggling. I've gotten more accomplished toward this project since I've joined RetouchPros but it's slow going. I decided I'd use this picture project to force myself to learn Photoshop. I have version 7. I have learned a lot from this group but I often get stuck and I often have a hard time concentrating with everything else going on around here with my mother's care. I haven't gotten anything accomplished in weeks on the last picture I started working on because I've had difficulty concentrating enough to learn how to use the masking technique I wanted to use on this picture. I need some angels to take me under their wings and help me get through this project. I think I've got almost 100 pictures I want to restore and I've completed, maybe 5!
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-22-2005, 08:22 AM

Been there... done that

I've had difficulty concentrating enough to learn how to use the masking technique I wanted to use on this picture.

Hi Anna
I never really grasped the mask thing either.. But masks aren't the only way to go.
other than things like curley loose hair I often just make a duplicate layer of something I want free of it's background then use the eraser to carefully cut the subject out... with the original layer hidden....
there is a choice to be made on the eraser's edge .. soft or hard. a soft eraser needs no further adjustment but for a more uniform blend I like to use a small hard eraser then.. after selecting the empty space with the wand use ... select/modify/expand/2 .... then select/feather/2 .. then hit ctrl-X to delete. the "2" in both cases is adjustable depending on resolution.

There are lots of alternative ways to do many things that don't require all that devotion to methods.. PhotoShop for we who are looking for escape should be enjoyable. Just remember to keep the original for a day when you may want to re-try it, but otherwise just jump in and experiment with all the various tools.

I'll give a photo a try for you just E-mail one here... sidetrek@bellouth.net
I'm on a phone modem so I please limit the size to 1-2mb
Bye
RonDon

Last edited by rondon; 07-22-2005 at 07:19 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-22-2005, 09:18 AM

I can squeeze in a couple for you. Send me two at mlgates99@yahoo.com. BIG PROJECT AND THE MONTHS ARE FLYING BY!
Margaret.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-22-2005, 06:13 PM

Hi ... Anna ... same here ... I can do one for you ...

You will need to use our upload image page "Send us an Image" button on our main menu (left hand side).

In the instructions/comments just mention RetouchPro ...
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-22-2005, 06:37 PM

Do you have some web space where you can upload the files to? You would be able to upload larger files, and members could see what was availible so they ould choose ones where they may best use their talents.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-22-2005, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatguy
Do you have some web space where you can upload the files to? You would be able to upload larger files, and members could see what was availible so they ould choose ones where they may best use their talents.
I can highly recommend photosite - you can host 100 photos for free, and it hosts quite large images (though only jpg I think)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-23-2005, 12:13 AM

GreatGuy,

I love the idea of posting the pictures online. However, they're all .tif files and I don't know if I could post files that large on the web. How would I handle that?

Thank you!

Sylvia Morris
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-23-2005, 12:45 AM

.tif files are not a problem - anyone can open them. BTW, what editing program are you using? You should be able to open the file as a .tif and 'Save as..." jpg. If not, use microsofts image viewer to do this or microsoft paint. If all else fails there are dozens of shareware programs that can do this and most have free trials. just do a search for "image + converter"
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-24-2005, 05:39 AM

Count me in. I admit I am far from an "expert" but who knows what one can accomplish in photoshop. I'm on a broadband connection so you can email me a fairly large file at jvideoservices"AT"verizon.net. Of course if your only on dial-up then you'll be limited to maybe about 1 meg in total soize of the image or zip.

Folks this is what programs like Emule, and Kazaa(peer to peer file sharing) are great for. Sure. People share illegal items on these programs. But that was never thier main intent. You can even set it up so that only a specific user or IP address can connect to your shared folder to download the photo. I share files back and forth all the time with my brother and sister. In this way she could scan a 50 or 100 meg photo, save it as a tiff or tga or even a psd and you could get your hands on it in a few minutes if you have broadband. The draw back is that the person offering the photo must always have emule or kazaa running to allow the recipient to aquire the photo. On broadband this is absolutely no big deal. There have been no security flaws found within Emule to date. The person on the server side, in this case, AtlanaAnna could schedule a time and date that she'll have emule running. Heck she could leave it running all night as she sleeps if need be.

Pete
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-24-2005, 02:30 PM

pjanak,

This idea may be the easiest and best route. I have RoadRunner, high-speed cable, always on connection. Do I just need to download and install Emule or Kazaa?

AtlanaAnna
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help