RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

removing people from a picture

Old 07-22-2005, 04:52 PM

removing people from a picture

Hi all, I hope everyone is doing well.

I was wondering if there was a tutorial or if someone could give me some tips on removing people from a picture. There are four people in a picture and I need to get rid of two of them. There is a detailed background so using the clone stamp to cover them up might be a problem for me.
Thanks in advance for your help.
Don
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-22-2005, 06:16 PM

There is a tutorial here .
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-22-2005, 06:54 PM

Thank you Panpan, I'll have a look and see if it will work for me.

Thanks again
Don
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-22-2005, 07:05 PM

Hi,

If you post the picture it will be easier for someone to give you appropriate advice.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-24-2005, 05:54 AM

It can be done in Photoshop 7 but I must tell you that in Photoshop CS2 its far easier. Due to a new perspective cloning tool. The attached example was very easy and I am sure you can see why. In the case of doing this type of work with a very detailed background, the cloning will have to be in much smaller increments. This image was done in far less than an hour(there was a lot of dust to clean up). Personally I like the city kids in the frame. Helps break up the monotoney of all those horizontal lines a little.

Pete
Attached Images
File Type: jpg example.jpg (96.2 KB, 34 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-24-2005, 07:22 AM

Nice work, pjanak

I will have to do it in Photoshop 7, that's all I have to work with. I will try to get the picture posted here in a little while so everyone can see what I need to do.
Thanks again for all your help. Nice job on the picture, pjanak

Don
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-24-2005, 07:35 AM

Hi all,
Here is the sample of the picture. The two gentleman on the right need to be removed. I think the backgroung will be a lot of trouble to fill in where they were. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks again
Don
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sample.jpg (94.7 KB, 43 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-24-2005, 07:49 AM

One Idea

you might be able to enlarge the 2 wanted subjects making them appear closer while covering the hard to blend area... I think the full sized scan of this photo is going to be great to work with.
RonDon
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bigger-men.jpg (95.4 KB, 38 views)

Last edited by rondon; 07-24-2005 at 09:23 AM. Reason: to include photo
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-24-2005, 10:00 AM

Nice one Rondon,

Takes care of the problem with the car with elegant simplicity, and also IMHO frames the picture much better.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-24-2005, 10:20 AM

yes, removing the two isnt that tough. like you said, it's filling in the background. i took this part way just from what was available in the picture. but, if you really want it to look better i'd suggest doing a google image search on old cars, particularly on that one car behind the two guys. if you know the make and model that would help in the search. try and find one with the full body showing and in that same perspective. then, use the found one to clone in the missing parts on your image.

what i did on yours, to the point that i took it, was all clone and push work. i borrowed parts of the foreground car, parts of the middle car like the one showing headlight and parts of the fender to do this. i cloned the tree out a bit and the building in the background to get rid of the two gents. it was just find something in the existing picture that looked like it could work somewhere and clone it in. i used push to even up some edges and smudge some stuff around. i also cloned out that '71' thing. i think that was from another car, a taxi. i cloned it completely out. wasnt important.

i didnt take it to a finish. i would need to know more about how that one car looked in particular and that's why the google image search or other existing pictures you might have that showed more about that car or type of car.

Craig
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sample1-k-1.jpg (93.4 KB, 31 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help