RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Help w/ color cast.

Old 07-25-2005, 02:09 AM

You did that w/ the original (1st) image, right? You just adjusted the white point and no black point, correct?

WOW Gary, thats wonderful. I will try your technique tommow, but I've had it, been working on this ALL day in between everything else. Thus, my feeling like a big dummy comment, but, I've already been scolded by Dave on this

I have plans for this picture beyond color correction. I've seen a technique that Vikki does where she puts a soft white glow around it. Anyway, I can't wait to move along...

Thanks again
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-25-2005, 02:13 PM

Hi Inskip,

On the levels adj I just put the markers to the ends of the histogram for each channel.

Then I lowered the output white pointer to about 245. (whites were a bit blown out by the adjustment).

Now I put an eyedropper on the highlit white on the collar under her chin.This gave a reading with too much blue.

So I added a Curves adj layer, opened the blue channel, and put the sampler on the spot I had the eyedropper on. Ctrl+click to put a marker on the graph, then lowered that point to even out numbers in each channel.(as seen in eyedropper window).

By adjusting just on this point, the yellowing of darker tones is minimised.

Hope this is clear, and helps you a little.

This is much more difficult to describe than to do.

Oops almost forgot, yes, I worked from the original.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-26-2005, 01:22 AM

I can't figure out where I'm going wrong w/ this color cast. I managed to correct another image today w/ a blue color cast, but this one is killing me...I just can't seem to get away from it being too blue or yellow. If I hadn't seen Gary's, I'd think it was impossible. Anyway, I followed Gary's instructions:

1. Adjusted levels for each channel. When you do this are you supposed to make the global(RGB ch) adjustment as well? I didn't. And I lowered the output white to 245 In the GLOBAL RGB Ch.

2. I used the color sample tool to mark the highlight. I then went into Curves (blue ch)and Command(ctrl) clicked my highlight to get a marker on the graph. When I try lowering it she gets too yellow.

Gary's looks right on to me, her cheeks are rosy not jaundiced and blue color cast pretty much gone. Gary if you read this, what do you mean to even out numbers in each channel(as seen in eyedropper window). Eyedropper window? I was keeping an eye on the info pallet while checking the highlight point. I want my channels to get as close as possible, within a couple points. I also have an RGB #1 where I put my sampler, is this where I should be looking?

Reply With Quote top
Old 07-26-2005, 04:46 AM

Hi Inskip,

First of all, generally speaking I don't adjust the Common (RGB), except in this case where I decreased the Output.

OK, the sample I selected should be white, and if that is the case, the R G and B values should be the same.

So I Alt click on the Eyedropper tool to get the sampler option. Place a sample point on the highlit white. This showed the blue value to be higher than those in R and G.

Opened Curves adj layer. Went to drop down, and selected B channel. Moved the selector for curves over the same point I already had the dropper on. Ctrl+clicked to put marker on graph. Now used down arrow to nudge this point down, till value of blue was equal to that of R and G in sampler window.

(Will try to post some Screen Shots). OK, did a quick re-work, for some reason, the levels adjustment left blue a little low this time, so had to bump it up a little, but essentially used same process. Note: Screen shot programme may not have kept colour fidelity, shown for illustration only.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Desktop.jpg (86.2 KB, 16 views)

Last edited by Gary Richardson; 07-26-2005 at 05:03 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-26-2005, 09:54 AM

Steve's Curves tutorial:
http://www.thegoldenmean.com/technique/curves1.html

In particular, page 3.
Basically what Gary is saying.

Don't forget that you can mask adjustment layers. One adjustment for area and mask it. Another adjustment for another area and mask it.

In some photos, I'm done regular desaturating to varying degrees as opposed to trying to get rid of colour cast. Might be something to try.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help