RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Help w/ color cast.

Old 07-24-2005, 04:51 PM

Help w/ color cast.

There's a bit of a blue color cast (esp in the whites) in this image that I want to eliminate. I'm sure this is a simple task for many of you, however I haven't been too successful at it. First of all, I tried to correct the white balance in my RAW converter manually by selecting an area that should be white(that's how I understood the directions), but that made everything go very yellow. I also tried selecting shade (taken in the shade) for white balance and that too made it go very yellow. Selecting the white point in PS makes it turn yellow as well. Any advice for me on how to color correct this image would be very appreciated. Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg _MG_0651.JPG (79.0 KB, 64 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-24-2005, 05:11 PM

Is this what you want?

I used some spot of her shirt as a neutral and added some blue with color balance to adjust the skin tone sketchy.

Patrick
Attached Images
File Type: jpg _MG_0651.JPG (88.8 KB, 44 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-24-2005, 05:26 PM

Thanks Patrick. It definately toned down that blue color cast. It's a bit yellow, but not as bad as when I tried to do it...Where were you when you selected the neutral point? Levels? Curves? And you said you added blue??
I wouldn't expect that when blue is what we're trying to remove. Interesting. Much improved.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-24-2005, 05:35 PM

No problem,

I did it with the neutral picker in the curves dialog box. I just thought it was a tad too yellow and therefore added some blue. It could also use some red maybe, just give it a try with the color balance sliders
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-24-2005, 06:17 PM

Red face Here's mine...

not really satisfied w/ it. Got out my Scott Kelby book and selected my white and black points. Adjusted the curve to adj the midpoints. Added a bit of blue and a touch of red, but color still seems a bit strange..ugh. This color correction business is a pain. Seems I always have this problem shooting in the shade.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg _MG_0651_copy.jpg (57.4 KB, 34 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-24-2005, 06:46 PM

it looks fine. good job

Craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-24-2005, 07:00 PM

I thought you did a good job Inskip. Just a thought that a girl this young might have equal amounts of yellow/magenta. I balanced her light cheek to about 33% each.

Cheers
Dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg D-Girl.jpg (98.4 KB, 27 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-24-2005, 08:12 PM

Thank you. Maybe I'm being overly critical of my work. She just looks kinda yellow to me. I feel like a big dummy, but what do you mean balanced her light cheek to 33%???
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-24-2005, 09:23 PM

You're anything but a big dummy. If you measure the values of "her" right cheek, the percent of yellow is maybe 5 or 6% higher in yellow. Open your info palette. Click on the arrow to open up the palette options. The first set keep as Actual or RGB. The second set change to CMYK. Now when you open up your info palette for corrections, you can see numbers for both RGB and CMYK modes. When you run the eyedropper over her right cheek you'll see that the yellow values are a bit higher than magenta. Do your corrections to even them out. Post again if you don't understand but please don't do the dummy routine again.. we're all learning here.

Cheers
Dave
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-25-2005, 01:36 AM

Did a levels adj on each channel, before applying a Curves adj to the hilight on her collar, just below chin.

If you position a Sampler where you want to check, when you open your curves to the channel you want to adjust, Ctrl+click on the same spot to put a marker on your curves graph. That way you can perform a spot adjustment rather than a more general adj of all tones.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg _MG_0651 copy.jpg (75.8 KB, 25 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help