RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Help needed on a bent and moldy baby pic

Old 07-27-2005, 06:11 AM

Smile Help needed on a bent and moldy baby pic

Hi everyone,

First off I would like to say ..nice place...Just found it yesterday ..

I have this picture of me when I was a baby and was wondering if you could help me and point me in the right direction for mending the picture.

Thanks

Ladyred
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rubybaby.JPG (14.1 KB, 75 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-27-2005, 07:55 AM

Hi Ladyred and welcome to the forum. I had a go at the picture what I did was first I cropped it to just get the image in then I straightened it up using the ruler tool in PS.
I then adjusted the levels to get a better tone on it. I also erased the creases in the pic by using the healing tool. I also added a bit more tone around the face by using some burning. I then added a slight blur to the overall pic. So hopefully this will help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg baby.jpg (19.8 KB, 54 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-27-2005, 01:01 PM

rotated image left 3 degrees.

selected out image to new image

rough clone of background to clean out major damage

resized image to double original (did this here to avoid extra work when rough cleaning)

new adjustment level of curves for contrast and correction

duplicated original image to clean with clone/push/smudge

added new adjustment layer of contrast/brightness

final cleaning with clone/push/smudge

adjusted curves layer

Craig
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rubybaby-1-k-1a.jpg (94.1 KB, 40 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-27-2005, 03:53 PM

Would have been better with a higher resolution image, but here's what I got. I masked out the baby and just created a new background using the colors from the original background. I tried making a pattern but it didn't work like I had planned....So I just added some grain to make the background look more like the original background. There are alot of details, but I don't have time to go into it now. If you have any Q's, don't hesitate to ask.

~Amber~
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rubybabyretouch.jpg (62.5 KB, 43 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-27-2005, 04:06 PM

Wow .... You guys are amazing .... You are inspiring me in what direction I need to go into to clean up the picture ...

I wish I had a higher resolution of the picture but it is all I have ... I don't even have the picture. I scanned it when I was down home this summer ... The scanned pictures wont open in photoshop for me so I was doing a print screen on them ...maybe if I took it into photoshop with a print screen I could get a better resolution .. I will try that and see how it goes..

What would happen if I were to enlarge the pciture using the 10 % method in the image resize in ps ..a step at a time ... should this be done before cleanup or after??
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-27-2005, 04:10 PM

Here is the picture brought through photoshop as a printscreen ..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rubybaby2.jpg (58.1 KB, 28 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-27-2005, 04:24 PM

Hi guys,

Here is one of my efforts at fixing the photo.

1. straightened the photo
2. cloned and used the healing brush
3.applied dust and scratches filter
4. applied unsharp mask

Comments welcomed ...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mytryatrubybaby2.jpg (51.5 KB, 34 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-28-2005, 03:47 AM

Hi ladyred,

Welcome to RP!

I think you did a very nice job restoring your picture! It looks very clean .. unfortunately, it's very small in size so I couldn't see the details ...

I had a quick go at it as well .... I used Curves and Levels to balance tone and contrast and the Heal Brush to remove the scratches ...

Usm To slightly sharpen.

Added a light Sepia Tone to the shadows only.

Lightly darkened the edges.

(I work with PS)

Nice job everyone .... Just a few small things ... Too strong a contrast makes you lose details in shadows and highlights ... too much blurring makes it look more like a painting ... (which can be very nice if done on purpose) ... unless the original background is very damaged, I'd rather fix it instead of completely change it ... a superb new background not really matching lighting and noise is a dead giveaway for 'manipulation' and it can too easily get the 'pasted' look
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F_rubybaby.jpg (94.7 KB, 56 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-28-2005, 04:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyred
I wish I had a higher resolution of the picture but it is all I have ... I don't even have the picture. I scanned it when I was down home this summer ... The scanned pictures wont open in photoshop for me so I was doing a print screen on them ...
I have read that sometimes you can open problematic files that Photoshop can't read in Irfanview, resave them, then Photoshop will recognise them. If you don't have Irfanview, it's a very handy freeware image viewer and can be downloaded here: www.irfanview.com
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-28-2005, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caitlin
I have read that sometimes you can open problematic files that Photoshop can't read in Irfanview, resave them, then Photoshop will recognise them. If you don't have Irfanview, it's a very handy freeware image viewer and can be downloaded here: www.irfanview.com

Thank you Caitlin .... You are a lifesaver! The program works like a charm. I can now get those scans opened at the higher resolution. The baby picture went from 14.1 kb in size to 597 kb. A much better size to work with. When I was home this summer I had scanned a lot of pictures and was disappointed when I got home and ps would not open them.

Now to get them all converted over to a jpeg format and then start restoring them.

Thanks again,

Ladyred
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help