RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Hows my color?

Old 07-31-2005, 06:30 PM

Inskip, I think changes are being made even though the mask looks black. You also have to make sure that you Deselect, otherwise, you could be trying to sharpen your whole image when in fact your only sharpening the "selected" color in Color Range.
Some Cyan in a child's face is natural if some parts are in shadow. I think for a child you want to sample the lightest area (assuming it's not blown out). Even if you balance the light area to 0 cyan, you may still have some cyan in the shadows which again I think is natural.
Threshold does "not" give you black and white points. It only gives you the lightest and darkest areas which is totally different.
The more information a retoucher is given the better and closer he/she can come to an accurate rendition. Knowing things like the couch is biege and ivory as opposed to grey and white can help a lot.
Pictures are about feelings. If color correction gives you the feeling you want..you're there. Don't forget also that the type of light that is falling on the scene can be important such as late evening sun which can make a wonderful "color cast" picture. Just some ramblings.

Cheers
Dave
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-31-2005, 07:19 PM

Thanks fatOn3s for another excellent post. I think I’ll print that out.

Quote:
If you have true black
??

And from Duv

Quote:
Threshold does "not" give you black and white points. It only gives you the lightest and darkest areas which is totally different.
This is my point. How can you tell?
I found this in a workflow from luminous-landscape

Check for “true black”; open blue channel; move shadow slider right to beginning of graph; if histogram stops short of 8, there is no true black so eyedropper cannot be used (skip step); if values under 8, click Set Black Point eyedropper (left most).

Does this make sense?
Is there a better way of finding if there is a true black or true white?

Ken
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-31-2005, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameraken
Thanks fatOn3s for another excellent post. I think I’ll print that out.

??

And from Duv

This is my point. How can you tell?
I found this in a workflow from luminous-landscape

Check for “true black”; open blue channel; move shadow slider right to beginning of graph; if histogram stops short of 8, there is no true black so eyedropper cannot be used (skip step); if values under 8, click Set Black Point eyedropper (left most).

Does this make sense?
Is there a better way of finding if there is a true black or true white?

Ken

Ken, "True" is a state of mind. It doesn't exist. The best photographer in the world when inspecting his/her work in PS will find contamination. That's because, seldom in life do we experience pure aka true blacks and whites in our works. It's a self imposed state that we impose upon ourselves to get the image to a neutral point.."even though the correct image is off the neutral point". That probably doesn't make sense but what I'm trying to say is that you control reality. How well you do that results in the final image. If you took a picture of a "blue black" dark person, would you change the values to say 30,30,30? You've certainly elimanated the color "cast", you may even have a picture you're more happy with, but is it correct, right, whatever? You're the judge. Does it please you? Does it please others that view it? There is no magic formula. Only suggestions that help to guide and make you think about what you are doing. There is no panacea..only continued effort and understanding. Perhaps that last double scotch was ill advised.

Dave
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-31-2005, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by inskip
Not sure what the deal is w/ Color Range, but when I select cyan nothing show up in the selection mask preview except her eyes which I don't want to change. However, I can see that cyan is high in certain areas of her face??? This bothers me because in Eismann's book it says wherever the mask is black no correction will take place, well the whole mask is black. Also, it won't let me select the Color Range eyedroppers and the fuzziness slider is grayed out.

I really need to get the WB straightened out on my camera...

Maybe these pics will clear things up.

Pic 1 shows how I selected the cyan color in her face.
Pic 2 shows the alpha mask I created from the selection in color range. I blured the mask with a 3.5 gaussian blur.

As you can see, I am not actually selecting the cyans from the drop down menu. I am manually picking them with my eye dropper as shown in pic 1. Then I moved the fuzziness slider over, till it looked like I had all of the bad color in her face selected. I also switched to quick mask mode, in color range, in see what parts of her face was actually selected.

To be honest, this might not be the best way to select the cyan patches in her face, but it was the solution I came up with.

I hope this is what you were asking for.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg color-sample.jpg (99.8 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg Cyan-Mask.jpg (33.0 KB, 12 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-31-2005, 11:08 PM

How in the world can you tell that you're actually selecting cyan from that as opposed to some other color? My eye isn't that well trained yet

Are you using the Color range Eyedropper in the actual image and when you get to a spot that is high in cyan sampling it?

Sorry...??
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-01-2005, 10:01 AM

Thanks for your comments Cameraken.

inskip,

I can see the parts of her skin that has to much cyan, and I think you can too, even though you don't think you can.

The reason I say this is because when you looked at the original, you knew that something looked wrong in it. You didn't know what, but you knew there was something not right.

When you are not sure what it is wrong, and alot of times I don't, that's where the info pallet comes into play.

When in the color range tool, you could use the info pallet to help judge what is good skin color, and what color is bad. When you see skin that has a high level of cyan in it, select it with the eye dropper.

Keep in mind though, not all pictures will require going through all of this to get skin color correct. Alot of times, removing just a color cast with also correct skin color.

Remember Duv's tips.

One person's idea of correct color, maybe different than another person's idea. Who's to say my picture is correct in color, and Duv's is not. Duv's picture, and my picture, are both correct and incorrect at the same time. Correct color is in the eye of the beholder.

BTW, also make sure that your monitor is calibrated. I just use adobe gamma to calibrate my monitor. It comes with photoshop, if you have a PC, and you can find it in your control pannel. If you have a mac, I think you have to use a different program to calibrate, but I could be wrong.

With a calibrated monitor, you can trust the color you see on your screen much more.

One thing I've learned from all this, is I sure like to ramble.

Anyways, I hope this helps.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-01-2005, 11:10 AM

fatOn3s, your ramblings are all good

Well, when I ZOOM in I can now see the clumps of cyan in her skin. But w/ the Color Range tool I'm not sure how I will know that I'm actually picking the cyan because it doesn't show/tell you that are. It just shows a mask of her face. Anyway, I will dig into my books and play w/ it some more so I can get a better understanding of this tool.

I get how "correct color" is relative. For me, I generally (but not always) go neutral-not too warm, not too cool. I can always add effects like that later on. Thanks.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help