RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Snapshot to Presentable picture

Old 07-30-2005, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lensbreaker
Sorry Mike, I must respectfully disagree. Honesty only comes into play when discussing credentials or competence. Even babies gravitate to the more attractive face. We're not talking about submitting a nicely retouched photo of Brad Pitt and claiming to look like him. We're talking about taking an average human face and enhancing it. Here's what I've done so far with my limited knowledge of photoshop.
Thats really a narrow look at honesty. I look for honesty when an employee calls in late, calls in sick, whatever, and really would like the employees to be honest when they are handling the company funds! My employees would like me to be honest with them as well. Unless I am looking for a model for a job, usually the person's looks do not count for a whole bunch. What we look for is the "total package", meaning credentials, competence, ability to get along with the crew, the list goes on and last but not least do we percieve the the person as being honest. And thats my whole point, if the photo that is submitted is not really the person who shows up for the interview, then they already have some strikes against them before they can even say anything.

Altho one can do a great deal of correction work in PS, most consider that PS works much better for enhancing a photograph than it does for rebuilding bad photographs.

Mike
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-30-2005, 03:20 PM

Mike,
You are correct. Looks alone don't tell the tale of the man (or woman). Unfortunately, not all employers are as enlightened as you. Fixing bad photgraphs (more than enhancing decent photos) is the real power of PS and the people on this site. Just one look at some of the other work on this site, especially the challenges, should convince most people of this.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-30-2005, 06:14 PM

Anyone else here starting to suspect 'lensbreaker' is a troll?
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-30-2005, 06:33 PM

lensbreaker,

here's a much simpler way to get at least part of what you want. first, i resized the picture to 565 x 800. this was so we could see it easier here on the forums. next, i unchecked the 'maintain aspect ratio' in the resize tool and dropped the image to 500 x 800. this reduces the width of the picture making everything within narrower. it's a very short, easy method for 'thinning'.

the next thing i did was set my color picking to 'pattern' and picked a nice sort of cloth looking texture and then used the fill tool to fill the shirt on each side. oh, before that, i made a selection of the whole image just slightly smaller than the whole of the original to get rid of the white framing so that my fill wouldnt spill all over the place. the fill, with about a 40 tolerance on 'lightness' then fill his shirt with the color and pattern i selected earlier. much easier than hand painting.

Craig

the pattern i picked is a bit too ordered, but you could find and pick a better one, something with a bit less severely straight lines.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Image5.jpg (89.0 KB, 12 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-30-2005, 09:07 PM

Thanks Craig,
Your idea really helped quite a bit. Now I've been trying the liquify function (puckering) on the bottom and expanding (bloating) on the forehead and here's what I have so far. Just a quick question but why can't I see what I'm liquifying on the layer, why must I use the main image to liquify (hope that makes sense).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Image5.jpg (32.5 KB, 16 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-30-2005, 10:11 PM

lensbreaker,

What is the problem with taking another picture?

If he is a friend of yours, why not just do a reshoot?

Most of the people that are giving you advice here are pros, and semi-pros at photography. If they are telling you to do a reshoot, you might want to consider it.

After looking at your picture very close, I realized what office supply store you took this in. What I am wondering is, why would you take a picture in an office supply store to begin with?

(I am not going to say the name of the store, and hurt its reputation.)

If this is a picture of a customer, that you are doing a job for, rather than a friend, I think you should stop offering services that you are incapable of.

If I am way off about this, then I would post another picture of your friend if I was you.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-31-2005, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Thanks Craig,
Your idea really helped quite a bit. Now I've been trying the liquify function (puckering) on the bottom and expanding (bloating) on the forehead and here's what I have so far. Just a quick question but why can't I see what I'm liquifying on the layer, why must I use the main image to liquify (hope that makes sense).
Its because you are working on a blank layer. You can't liquify stuff thats not there. So you need to copy the main image to a new layer. Click on the main image and drag it over the layer icon and drop it. Bang! Duplicate image in new layer.

This photo really does need to be tossed and re shot. At least a "portrait" style photo. This looks like a drivers lisence/mug shot photo.

Pete Janak
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-31-2005, 02:10 AM

Quote:
Thanks Craig,
yeah, that's lookin better. i think you can see what i mean about using a pattern on the shirt, though. it doesnt look like someone is wearing a shirt. it's a step in the right direction, but doesnt quite look right.... too ordered...too straight. some pattern that is a bit more loose and wavy maybe. you could also break it up a bit with lighting and shadows or even warp it a tiny bit, or clone or push it into something more natural looking.

to the rest of the folks commenting here, lensbreaker is trying to do something. for whatever reason, he's trying to go in the direction he's trying to go in. good, bad, or whatever, he's obviously NOT taking a new shot; at least not now. maybe he will, or maybe he wont, but CURRENTLY he's trying to do what he's trying to do, which is alter THIS picture. that we all agree he'd be better off with a different one, well, that point has been made. so, if you wish to help him out with THIS task, why great! he's trying to learn something here; give him a hand! ya know?

Craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-31-2005, 09:26 AM

Good point Craig.

If I sounded a little harsh in my post, that wasen't my intention. I was just trying to give some advice on what I seen here.

As others have said, this photo might not be the best choice to paste to a resume, but if this is all he has to work with, then we should give him a hand.

I will give this a shot, and see what I can come up with.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-31-2005, 06:02 PM

Here is what I have.

I don't have time to explain. If you want to know details of what I did, let me know.

I tried to make him look as much like himself, but not to over do it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg danblocker-fats.jpg (100.0 KB, 12 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help