RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Snapshot to Presentable picture

Old 07-29-2005, 01:42 PM

Snapshot to Presentable picture

I took a picture of my friend from uni and he'd like to turn it into something that can be more presentable for job applications/interviews or any time someone needs to see his face. He'd like to thin out the face, chin and cheeks (that's a lot to ask but...), lighten up the skin, smooth out the wrinkles, change his shirt, etc. In other words, the works. I'm really a tyro when it comes to doing this kind of thing. Where does one start changing this many things?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg danblocker.jpg (86.6 KB, 40 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-29-2005, 03:04 PM

Is there any way you can reshoot his photo? A full face photo is really unflattering, no matter how slim your face is! A 3/4 portrait would do better. And a simple background.

I will work on it today and see what I can do....

~Amber~
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-29-2005, 03:28 PM

umm, i'll answer some of your questions in a minute. first, if your friend is going to be using this for job interviews, resumes and that sort of thing, the first thing i'd do is take another photo. this particular shot looks angry, menacing, etc... so, unless he's applying for a bouncer or a wrestler or something along those lines, i'd get another shot, preferably with a bit of a smile on it. doesnt have to be a wide grin, but the tiniest of smiles would do wonders.

now, to your questions, do you want to simulate the things you're after, or actually change them? things like light and shadow can narrow and widen a look without actually doing 'plastic surgery' on the picture.

but, in this picture, i dont think you're going to be able to change much with just lighting. so, for plastic surgery, your tools are things like 'clone', 'push', 'smudge', 'warp', 'liquify' and along those lines. others like 'skew', 'pinch', and 'punch' might even work a bit if used judiciously.

attached are the before and after. i didnt try to clean this up very much. i just wanted to give you an idea of possibilities. i used mostly warp to narrow the cheeks and jaw, and then some clone and push to reduce the wrinkles and straighten a few lines.

also, i did a tiny bit of reducing his 5 o'clock shadow, but much more would be appropriate.

Craig
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Image3.jpg (97.6 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg Image4.jpg (95.2 KB, 35 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-29-2005, 03:57 PM

I completely agree with Craig on this one. It's definatly not for interviews, and it looks more like a mug shot than a portrait. But I like what you did craig! I'm still working on it. Been up since 6:30 this morning, so it might take a while- I'm exhausted! Will try again in a while...

~Amber~
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-29-2005, 04:45 PM

thanks, amber

and i agree:
Quote:
A 3/4 portrait would do better. And a simple background.
btw, you can see where i warped; the background shows it up. so, you'd want to clean things like that up too.

Craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-29-2005, 09:44 PM

Totally agree with what has already been said ... Take another photo encompassing both head and shoulders ... Get your friend to show at least the perception that he is happy ...

Doesn't need to be a belly laugh ... but first impressions when looking at photos of people can be picked up in a millisecond ... body language is a science in its self ....

You asked what you should do first ...? Get another friend ...!!!! :

Just kidding ...!!! I'm sure you can get a very "personable" photo of your friend which in reality will not need any work from the masters here on the forum ...
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-30-2005, 09:01 AM

As an employer, the last person to get hired is the first one to give me a photo of themselves that doesn't look like them. What is he trying to hide is the first thing that comes to mind, if he is so dishonest as to try to pass himself off as something he is not, what else would he do?

Maybe that sounds kind of harsh, but if you want to impress a possiable employer, this is not the way to do it. I would retake the photo and produce something a lot more better rather than waste any time trying to pass this off.

Mike
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-30-2005, 09:26 AM

Sorry Mike, I must respectfully disagree. Honesty only comes into play when discussing credentials or competence. Even babies gravitate to the more attractive face. We're not talking about submitting a nicely retouched photo of Brad Pitt and claiming to look like him. We're talking about taking an average human face and enhancing it. Here's what I've done so far with my limited knowledge of photoshop.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg danblocker3 copy.jpg (95.9 KB, 25 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-30-2005, 09:56 AM

well, you're on the right track. the trick, of course, is to get it to look natural. i dont have photoshop and i know they have some better tools for this than paint shop pro. but i did get the chance to play with photoshop a bit and i recall that 'liquify' and 'warp' were definitely tools i would use for what you're doing.

i've also tried other programs for this sort of thing. i think 'Face Filter Studio' was one of them. and there is an online one called 'Rubber Faces' that i think you can purchase and use offline. you can sort of demo rubber faces online with pre-existing images. attached is one i did or a Nixon face. the link to rubber faces is www.rubberfaces.com .

Craig
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rubberfacenixon-1-k-1.jpg (67.7 KB, 19 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-30-2005, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lensbreaker
Sorry Mike, I must respectfully disagree. Honesty only comes into play when discussing credentials or competence. Even babies gravitate to the more attractive face. We're not talking about submitting a nicely retouched photo of Brad Pitt and claiming to look like him. We're talking about taking an average human face and enhancing it. Here's what I've done so far with my limited knowledge of photoshop.
You really should take some of the advice given in this thread so far to heart. There is no point trying to manipulate what is a bad photo to begin with, particularly if you are not an expert retoucher. All you will end out with is something, to be frank, that looks worse, and unnatural as well. You might as well submit Brad Pitt's photo. Get you friend to pose again, get him to smile, shave, and frame the shot better. If you can shoot from slightly above to minimise the double chin do that too.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help