RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Exposure Problem

Old 07-30-2005, 09:41 PM

Exposure Problem

I am in a bind; I need some expert advice on how to improve this photo. Could you please post some tips and a good work flow that I could follow to fix this photo. I am using Photoshop CS.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Jim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg retouch9.jpg (81.3 KB, 55 views)

Last edited by JX2; 07-30-2005 at 10:02 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-30-2005, 10:19 PM

Not quite sure what you are looking for when you say 'fix'?

In the attached I have straightened, cropped, and used a shadow/highlights adjustment and a selective contrast adjustment to make the kids on each side a bit more similar in brightness. Is this what you were after?

Unfortunately the picture has very bad jpg artifacting - I presume that is just a function of posting to this board, and not one of the problems you are trying to fix?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg retouch9b.jpg (99.7 KB, 50 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-30-2005, 10:28 PM

Hi Caitlin,

What I am after is trying to make the kids on each side a bit more similar in brightness. The jpg artifacting is a result of posting. Can you suggest some settings for the shadow/highlights adjustment.

Thanks

Jim
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-30-2005, 11:15 PM

That looks great Caitlin.

I was thinking of taking a shot at this one, but I don't know if I could do much better.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-31-2005, 12:03 AM

I agree, that's a darn good job Caitlin. The only thing I still find a little bothersome is the bright patch on the bottom right, it keeps grabbing my attention. But honestly don't know how I would approach it. Would you just keep cloning over it and build up the density? Cropping a little tighter at the bottom might eliminate it too if they wanted to go that route.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-31-2005, 12:09 AM

Ok, I took a shot at it.

I don't think it looks better than Caitlin's work, but I thought I would try.

Here's what I did.

1. Added a curves adjustment layer set to screen mode.

2. Used a gradient to fill the mask, and lighten the left side of the picture.

3. Opened up channels pallet. Selected RGB channel, and hit CRTL - ALT - ~ to select luminosity, and saved as a mask.

4. I then selected the mask, and applied levels to it. I then moved over the shadows slider till only the highlights in the picture where selected. (Like the highlights in the hair.)

5. I turned the channel above into a selection, and created a curves adjustment layer set to multiply. I moved the white point in the curve down to about 235.

6. Added another curves layer, set to soft light, and adjusted opacity to 32%

I didn't fix the artifacts, as it sounds like that's not a problem in the original image you have.

If you are looking to fix the blown out highlights in the hair, I think the only way would be to clone the hot spots.

If there is another way, I hope someone will share how to do it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg retouch9-worked.jpg (94.9 KB, 33 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-31-2005, 12:56 AM

Sorry not to respond sooner. To be honest, I just used the cheats way out and used the Shadow/Highlight adjustment, which is available in your version of Photoshop (CS) and in fact left it at the default settings. After that I still thought the left hand side could do with a bit more 'zing' and did a loose feathered selection and increased contrast a little more.

Fats - your version looks great to me - just a bit more work!

Flora just posted a tutorial on the Shadow/Highlight feature here: http://retouchpro.com/tutorials/?m=show&id=189 , though with this case I think the defaults work fine.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-31-2005, 01:17 AM

Thanks Caitlin.

I haven't used shadow/highlight that much. I think I need to learn more about it. Thanks for the link to the tutorial.

BTW Caitlin,

Is there a trick to making the images you post here, closer to what you see in photoshop?

It seems like your image looks more like what I see in photoshop, but mine looks dull unless I open it in photoshop.

Does that make sence? lol.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-31-2005, 02:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat0n3s
BTW Caitlin,

Is there a trick to making the images you post here, closer to what you see in photoshop?

It seems like your image looks more like what I see in photoshop, but mine looks dull unless I open it in photoshop.

Does that make sence? lol.
Have a look under EDIT - COLOR SETTINGS in Photoshop and see what your RGB working space is set to. It should be sRGB.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-31-2005, 09:38 AM

I see.

I left the color space set to Adobe 1998, which is what this original image was set to.

You must of converted the image to sRGB, in order to post here? I read that somewhere, but it didn't sink in till now.

sRGB for the web. Adobe 1998 for print.

Thanks alot Caitlin.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help