RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Help w/ eyes

Old 08-05-2005, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by inskip
Well I tried Dave's method. I followed the instructions exactly (I think). When it comes to curves, I'm never sure where to grab, or how to determine where to click on the image to add a handle in the curve. Anyway, I grabbed the Cyan curve right in the middle and pulled down slightly. It worked beautifully...UNTIL I pasted it back into the RGB version, now it looks like I have a yellow color cast. I DID change the blend mode to color. I imagine it has to do w/ the other various adjustment layers that are already in the file. Should I have created another flattened version of the OG to paste the CMYK file into? Not sure what to do???
Can someone please help me w/ this? Also, why does the version I posted here look different than it does in PS?

fatOn3s, yours looks a little soft for whatever reason, but otherwise it's great. The whites are white, her skin tone looks beautiful and the color really pops esp. the red hat. How do you do it?? I still haven't gotten a handle on the Color Range method you tried to teach me

Last edited by inskip; 08-05-2005 at 02:27 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-05-2005, 02:54 PM

inskip,

if i remember correctly, this was answered recently in another thread... i think it was that you're working with a profile of photoshop rather than sRGB. i think. i know i saw this recently. and i believe you can change this in your preferences or options settings.

i may have this wrong, so if i run across that other thread, i'll link you to it.

Craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-05-2005, 03:00 PM

Ken and Inskip. I think what is happening is that you flattening your CMYK duplicate, then selecting, copying and pasting back into your original RGB image. When you change the mode to Color, you are using the original luminosity values of the RGB file. So in this thread the result would be a darker picture with higher percentages of everything. To maintain exactly what you have from the CMYK correction, leave the mode as Normal. Sorry about the confusion.

To Fats, I also like what you did but did you edit your original post? I was sure when I first looked, it had too much red.

Cheers
Dave
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-05-2005, 05:36 PM

Ken, did you have any luck? Sorry Dave, leaving it in normal didn't make it look any better. I think I actually found the method in Eismann's book (p.118). I followed the instructions, it says to flatten and then change the mode to color after it's pasted into RGB. I end up w/ a yellow color cast Like I said it looks great until I paste it into my RGB file. Do you think it's because of all the adjustment layers, I mean Eismann's example only has two layers. I'd like to keep it w/ my OG RGB file but maybe that's a problem..
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-05-2005, 06:22 PM

Mmmm, that's pretty freaky. Maybe duplicate your layered RGB, flatten it and paste your CMYK into it and see what you get. Alternatively, try just changing your CMYK file to RGB. Some claim that there is some data loss but I've never been able to see it with my eyes or when printing. I guess it depends somewhat on how much of a perfectionist you want to be. BTW, page 119 also shows you where to pull down on the curve.

Dave

Last edited by Duv; 08-05-2005 at 06:30 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-05-2005, 07:23 PM

Here are my steps

1) Open Santa.jpg
2) Right click the top of the picture and click duplicate
3) Change mode of SantaCopy to CMYK
4) I picked an area on her left side that read 18 40 22 0 and made a sample point.
5) Opened a curves layer and changed this point to 0% 12% 12% 0%
6) Looks OK so flattened layers.
7) Select All, Copy Click Santa.jpg and Paste. Still looks OK
8) Change blending mode to colour ---- Problem????

Dave I have attached two pictures. The first is after step 7 and the second is after step 8. As you can see the cyan has returned. (Please disregard eyes etc. I was just looking at skin)

Inksip you seem to be having a different problem to me. Mine looks fine in normal mode it’s only when I change mode to colour that I get a problem.
About your other problem. Kraellin mentioned Srgb. Are you on a Mac or a PC?

Ken
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ken_santa_Normal.jpg (35.2 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg Ken_santa_Colour.jpg (33.5 KB, 7 views)

Last edited by Cameraken; 08-05-2005 at 07:46 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-05-2005, 07:59 PM

Ken, after step 8, if you change to LAB mode and brighten with Curves, do you get something close again to the CMYk file?

Dave
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-05-2005, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duv
BTW, page 119 also shows you where to pull down on the curve.
Yes, for that particular picture...She added a handle on the curve by clicking the cheek area. I wasn't sure how to determine where to click in an image. Wouldn't it be different for other pictures? In my case it would be where the high Cyan readings are, right? I think I'm getting it now...

Last edited by inskip; 08-05-2005 at 08:30 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-05-2005, 08:33 PM

Right on, Durango!

Dave
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-05-2005, 08:54 PM

Quote:
fatOn3s, yours looks a little soft for whatever reason, but otherwise it's great. The whites are white, her skin tone looks beautiful and the color really pops esp. the red hat. How do you do it?? I still haven't gotten a handle on the Color Range method you tried to teach me
Thanks inskip.

I decided to blur the picture with a new meathod I have been working on. That is why it looks on the soft side. I didn't use the color range meathod this time, except to select the "reds".

I used flora's shadow/highlight tutorial to start. Then color corrected the rest of the picture with curves. After that, I wasen't happy with the skin tone, so I used color range to select the reds, and to tweak the skin tone with curves till I was satisfied.

Quote:
To Fats, I also like what you did but did you edit your original post? I was sure when I first looked, it had too much red.
Duv,

No, that is the same picture I posted the first time. I am glad you like it.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help