RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Help w/ eyes

Old 08-04-2005, 06:36 PM

Help w/ eyes

I seem to have a problem w/ blue color casts quite a bit. I managed to elimate that...How did I do? Too green now?

The other thing that is bothering me is the eyes(eye), it's black. Is there anything I can do about that? I've tried dodging and messing w/ the catchlight, but nothing satisfactory. Any ideas?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg santa.jpg (29.6 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg SantaBaby16.jpg (49.2 KB, 60 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-04-2005, 07:14 PM

Hi Inskip!

On my monitor it doesn't look too bad. The only things I noticed was that there wasn't enough red in the whites of the eyes. Red should predominate because of the underlying blood vessels. I also think there is a bit too much cyan in the skin. If you pull down the Cyan curve slightly, you not only reduce the cyan in the skin but you also increase the amount of red in the whites of the eyes.

As to the catchlight, I personally wouldn't touch it. It's perfectly placed in relation to the highlight on the nose.

Cheers
Dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg D-SantaBaby16.jpg (84.5 KB, 40 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-04-2005, 07:37 PM

So that means I have to convert to CMYK, correct?
Then back to RGB after I make my adjustments.
I usually only work in RGB so I'm not sure
BTW looks great! I think everyone must know a secret for detecting
cyan in the skin because I thought the numbers were low. I can't quite get a handle on this color correction business...

Last edited by inskip; 08-04-2005 at 07:48 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-04-2005, 08:42 PM

i believe i'd also put a bit of red back in the baby's skin. you've got a lot of light objects in the overall, so a bit more red would help with some contrast.

Craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-04-2005, 11:13 PM

Inskip, I think we're in the realm of tweaking. Tweaking is small, maybe personal adjustments. If you take a reading of the baby's side you should get readings of about 14/25/25/0. But Cyan is more than half the value of Magenta and Yellow. Is that possible? Perhaps, under certain lighting conditions or for a particular effect you are trying to achieve. Cyan is the opposite of Red. So if the red in the eyes is less than blue and green plus if cyan shouldn't be more than 6% (and keep in mind that that ratio is typical for caucasian adults..not babies), then a logical adjustment is to reduce the amount of cyan.
There are many who can work strictly in RGB. Some can do it by numbers, others like Flora just have a feel for the right color. I can't. So what I do is Duplicate (seperate image) , change to CMYK and make adjustments. When happy, I flatten, select all, copy, then paste back into the original RGB file and change the blend mode to Color.
The bottom line, you're doin' good stuff. We're just tweakin' ya.
Hope this helps.

Cheers
Dave
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-05-2005, 01:20 AM

Thanks for the tips, I'll give it a try. I'm just trying to get used to looking at the numbers. I get confused because they vary so much. In one spot the numbers will look good (7/26/26/0) and another spot they'll be off.

Another thing I noticed is the edited image I posted here doesn't look the same as it does PS-it almost looks desaturated. On my monitor, in PS, her skin looks like it has more red. I wonder why that is? Not sure what you're seeing...?
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-05-2005, 02:08 AM

Well I tried Dave's method. I followed the instructions exactly (I think).
When it comes to curves, I'm never sure where to grab, or how to determine where to click on the image to add a handle in the curve. Anyway, I grabbed the Cyan curve right in the middle and pulled down slightly. It worked beautifully...UNTIL I pasted it back into the RGB version, now it looks like I have a yellow color cast. I DID change the blend mode to color. I imagine it has to do w/ the other various adjustment layers that are already in the file. Should I have created another flattened version of the OG to paste the CMYK file into? Not sure what to do???
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-05-2005, 05:40 AM

Hi Inskip,

Had a play with the eyes.

Did a selection round the iris, copied and pasted to new layer, levels adj to brighten, blurred slightly, then adjusted opacity of layer for best effect.

Flattened image.

New selection, this time the whole eye. Copied and pasted, brightened with levels, adj opacity.

Picture was a bit small to do any real detail work.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SantaBaby16 copy.jpg (74.4 KB, 43 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-05-2005, 11:03 AM

Duv and inkip,

I really like what you did to the pictures.

I took a shot at the image, but I can honestly say that I like it less than your work.

Gary,

I don't know how you do that. I tried it myself, but I can't seem to pull out any real detail.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg santa-fats.jpg (51.4 KB, 27 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-05-2005, 02:10 PM

Hi Inskip

Quote:
It worked beautifully...UNTIL I pasted it back into the RGB version, now it looks like I have a yellow color cast. I DID change the blend mode to color. I imagine it has to do w/ the other various adjustment layers that are already in the file. Should I have created another flattened version of the OG to paste the CMYK file into? Not sure what to do???
I have also been playing with Dave’s method. I’v tried everything to avoid CMYK but it seems that CMYK IS the best way to adjust skintones. Dave kindly talked me through a different picture and his method worked perfectly.

But on this picture I had readings of 1% Cyan 18% Magenta and 18% Yellow in CMYK but when I copied it back to the RGB File and set mode to colour the readings changed to
28% Cyan 40% Magenta and 40% Yellow

We need help here Dave Please.

Ken
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help