RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Scratches and Tears Help

Old 08-05-2005, 06:04 PM

Scratches and Tears Help

I want to practice on this photo. I would like some suggestions on how to restore this picrure. I sure would like to have you try to restore it, but in order for me to learn I would like to rerquest you post the steps so I can do it with your steps and learn some techniques. Thanks Neb
Attached Images
File Type: jpg scratchjill.jpg (49.1 KB, 52 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-05-2005, 07:50 PM

Hi nebgranny,

I did some cloning with a fine brush and about 60% opacity on her arms and legs. I copied some of the skirt and pasted in on another layer in order to match the dots. Also copied one side of her face and pasted on another layer, flipped the layer horizontially and manipulated it into place. I'm not totally happy with reconstruction of the right side of her face but it is close for this size image.

I then loosely cloned out the tears in the background. I loosely selected the girl and pasted her on another layer, then applied Dust and Noise filter to the background.

MaryLynn
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Scratch-repair-copy.jpg (60.5 KB, 35 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-05-2005, 08:18 PM

Hi Nebgranny, what version of Photoshop do you have, so we make sure we don't use tools you don't have?
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-05-2005, 09:39 PM

Hi Again: I am using PhotoShopCS2 . Thanks
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-05-2005, 09:45 PM

Thank you for the work MaryLynne. I am going to give it a try, need to figure out where a couple functions are and then going to give it a go...AH ....Just look at how much this forum is rubbing off on me...A GO!! Never said that until hanging out h ere LOL ..Neb
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-05-2005, 11:51 PM

this is a prime candidate for clone. i used psp 9. in photoshop you might use clone or heal, i think.

all i did was the head and a bit of the upper body. i didnt try to remove all the scratches, but clone or heal would/could also be used there.

but, before i did any cloning, i doubled the image dimensions. this is a small image and to get in tight with the cloning i needed more space.

i also did just the tiniest bit of hand brush work around her right eye with a very tiny brush, 1 or 2 pixels and a low opacity.

the cloning was done anywhere from 14 to about 60 opacity. it just depended on the area and how much i wanted to clone (higher opacity) and how much i wanted to blend (low opacity). it's still all cloning, but at the low opacity you are trying to smooth marks one to the next to get them to transition.

Craig

edit: oh, and once done, i sharpened a bit and then resized the image back down a bit.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg scratchjill-1-k-1a.jpg (96.1 KB, 23 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help