RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Bad hair day ... !!

Old 08-06-2005, 11:46 PM

Assuming the attached is what you are after then...

Try using the smudge tool at about size 3 and 80%. smudge in with the white and out with the hair. Do this on a new layer and then sharpen as necessary.

Christine
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Grace-copy.jpg (93.4 KB, 42 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-07-2005, 01:25 AM

I suggest visiting Renderosity and check out the Poser Hair tutorials. Concepts could easily apply to Discreet MAX as well.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-07-2005, 06:13 AM

Jiger

Well this is the best I can do using a hair mask. Maybe someone knows a better way but the black extends deep into the hair.

Ken
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ken_GraceLarge copy.jpg (92.1 KB, 45 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-07-2005, 06:58 AM

Replies to all since last.

Hello again good people !

At 04.25 am (my local time) after answering Marthig's post I finally gave it quits, but I see there's been folks busy while I was sleeping .
Haven't tried anything new since, but as the day passes I'll see what I can do with your suggestions.

Marthig: >What I am sorry about is that I could not give you an easier solution.<
You have absolutely no reason to be sorry about anything, Marthig. You gave it a go and came up with a solution that was something else than when I tried the similar.
Even though it didn't quite "hit the mark", posting this problem to RP made me come out from my home office "cubicle" and start talking to people active in this kind of work. As such - that is a great reward and in the process made me start thinking in other directions.
I'm most happy you decided to give it a try .

Kraellin: You spotted the basic problem just right, there, and your solution will for sure be one I'll consider. From there I'll be able to fill in strands to break up the "perfect" lines using a one pixel brush. All it takes is to make it look right.
Also, I did contemplate the masking approach - but didn't think of the luminosity channel .. . I'll give that a spin and see what happends.

>...about painting skin tones, see nancyj's response is this thread:<
Yes ! Yes, yes yes... thank you very much for this pointer . It's exactly what I was looking for. I was going in about this direction but missed some of the things NancyJ points out.

Panpan: Yes, I've tried that too, but since the texture is a jpeg and not my own (it's a Kozaburo) I can only take out mats and defringe in photoshop. The black drop-shadow comes from the lighting rig in Max. Two Area lights - one from front right and one fill from "oblique" left.

Xaran: Very impressive, and very close !!
I think that in the end run I'll be using bits and pieces of all the suggestions I get here.
Thank you for showing me this

panjak: >I suggest visiting Renderosity and check out the Poser Hair tutorials.<
I see you spotted my "fake" ..
Yes, it's DAZ Vicky 3 and Kozaburo's "All-back Hair" imported from Poser 4 to 3DS Max 5.1. This since I can't afford a photographer, model, hair artist, make-up artist etc etc, so I'll have to go with what I got access to.

As for Renderosity - yes, I've been there for years now and much of what I've learned this far stems from there. Though I still use it as a resource I wouldn't take the problem there for debate.
You see, in a thread at their forums I accedently happend to lower my guard and admit I'm having this problem with being slightly dyslectic and English is not my native tongue.
This proved to be a bad move since it was found an easy target for ridicule ...

To most part, that's why I brought the subject matter to RP instead.

Cameraken: What you did is good enough and shows there's a possibility to use a mask. As I told Kraellin, I've been thinking about a mask of some sort, but just havent found the right approach yet.
Personally I think a combo of masking-cloning-painting will be the way to go.

Thank you all for your efforts with coming up with a solution !
You have all contributed to making my thinking process take new routes and see the problem from new angles.
My hopes for getting this thing done has risen conciderable and I've met some really nice people in the process.
Love this place now !

-- Jiger --
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-07-2005, 09:55 AM

jiger,

you're welcome

yes, nancy's tips are quite good. flora has some great one's too regarding this sort of thing. i just dont know where to find them at the moment. i also know nancyj just wrote and posted a tutorial on the subject, so you might check the tutorial forum.

and regarding other forums where you get ripped to death, yeah, been there, done that, burned the place to the ground there's two kinds of critiques/critics, invalidative and constructive. i like it here because folks here are of the 2nd type, constructive.

so again, welcome to RP

and keep us posted on how this all goes!

Craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-07-2005, 11:48 AM

Re: Jiger, you're welcome ...

Thank you, Kraellin !

I must say I've never felt more welcome to any forum or resource as I've done here at RP. I mean - after my initial post there have been half a dozen people doing their best at helping me out and sharing their ideas of possible approaches. All of them in a warm and freindly manner.
That's a lot more than I could have ever expected.

Quote:
...and regarding other forums where you get ripped to death, yeah, been there, done that, burned the place to the ground
Well, I see you've had your share of this - shall we say - pityful behaviour..?
Why some feel the need to do this is beyond my comprehension since it's not as if you're competing for some prestigeous seat at an animation studio, or anything. Perhaps it's their way of feeling acknowledged when they can put someone else down in the dirt.
Quote:
i like it here because folks here are of the 2nd type, constructive.
... and very true you are !

I've spent a good part of the last 48 hours browsing the RP's forums, tutorials and resource pages and I haven't forund one single shred of arrogance or condescense anywhere in any thread.
As you say - all constructive and aimed at sheding light in darkness.
Perhaps this is since image editing and retouch is a discipline with it's unique terms and those who have walked the path for a while know and understand what kind of difficulties you can run into.

And - yes, I will keep you posted on the progress.
Today (saturday) I've decided to "take the day off" - apart from reading and answering posts, and then I have to put it aside in favour of some "real" image work (yes, I do a bit of work for a local commercials producer).
But I'll get back to it, rest assured !

// and - since now having revieled my tendency towards dyslexia, I hope you have patience with my spelling, laguage errors and strange choise of words //

-- Jiger --
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-07-2005, 11:54 AM

Quote:
// and - since now having revieled my tendency towards dyslexia, I hope you have patience with my spelling, laguage errors and strange choise of words //
you're doing fine. i speak fluent 'gibberish', 'dyslexia', 'garbage', 'foulmouth', and a few others

Craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-07-2005, 12:08 PM

Re: You're doing fine ...

Phew ... nice to know.

Then you won't have any problems understanding me.

(To brag a bit - I can keep my trap shut in 14 different languages and that doesn't include the local African dialects... )

-- Jiger --
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-07-2005, 01:11 PM

Jiger Kraellin

No argument here I got The Prize for Speaking gibberish and strange choice of words.

Ken
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-07-2005, 03:15 PM

Re: Jiger Kraellin

Well, well !
Seems I'm in the best of company here ..

Btw - I now see that this post have had 132 (!) viewings since posted (my own not counted in, I take it) and so far 18 replies.

I for one find that rather astonishing.

-- Jiger --
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help