RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Bad hair day ... !!

Old 08-08-2005, 07:52 PM

Bad hair day - conclusion !

Hi, me again !

After having done some simplier color correction jobs for a client and having dinner, I suddenly remebered a couple of lines from the movie "Matrix - Reloaded".
They're from the scene where Neo have entered through The Door of Light and is faceing The Architect who tells Neo about the six versions of The Matrix :
Quote:
The first Matrix I designed was quite naturally perfect; it was a work of art.
Flawless. Sublime. A triumph equaled only by it's monumental failure ...
// ........ //
I've since come to understand that the answer eluded me because it required a lesser mind, or perhaps a mind less bound by the parameters of perfection.
I then realised that in the case of "Grace" I was not working with a photograph of a real humanbeing, but with a 3D approximate I had constructed. A representation of a person and thus - an illusion.
Ergo - my striving for pefection with the troublesome hair was overkill.
Since I was working with an illusion I only required a level of "perfection" which maintainded the illusion.

So, with this in mind I began with separating the model and hair (as was) from the background using the Alpha Channel that came with the Tiff. After pasting as new layer on top of a new, white background it was actually quite a straight forward job.
Working with an image in 3000 x 4000 pixels naturaly made it a whole lot easier.
Copying bits and pieces from "perfect" parts of the hair I simply pasted them in where needed, did some slight displacement here and there, rotated "an itch" if necessary and sort of "melted" the copied pieces into the image using the Eraser Tool with various brushes and Opacity settings. Kind of "defringing" the patches.
A bit of Healing Brush, a bit of Clone Tool and - voila - there it was !

There is still a lot of work to do with the image (finetuning tones in the hair, improving skintone, eyes etc etc) but I have made a test print with it in the size it will have in the final image - and it works.
There is no need for better detail than is now. The illusion holds.

So - I want to thank each and everyone of you who assisted me with advise, hints, recommendations, analysis and having go's at it yourselves.
You all contributed to getting my thinking process going in directions I would not have thought of by myself.

Also, this process have ment I've met some people whom I like to count as my friends from now on as well as a very positive first experience of Retouch PRO.

Thank you all very much !

-- Jiger --
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GraceHairdo.jpg (81.4 KB, 27 views)

Last edited by Jiger; 08-08-2005 at 08:35 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-08-2005, 08:14 PM

that looks a ton better. very well done!

Craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-08-2005, 08:39 PM

... and it took a ton off my chest !!

Thank you !

-- Jiger --
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-10-2005, 10:03 PM

You can render the alpha channel seperate in 3D MAX and use this as the mask, I have done this on several occasions with both still renders and motion video render (taken then to after effects) This should give you a solution straight away to use in photoshop. I will try to remember to look at this tomorrow at work to get exact details correctley for you.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-11-2005, 04:41 AM

Alpha in Max

Hello creeduk !

Thank you for replying to my post. Nice of you to do so. I appreciate it.

Quote:
You can render the alpha channel seperate in 3D MAX and use this as the mask...
>......
I will try to remember to look at this tomorrow at work to get exact details correctley for you.
Thanks creeduk, but you don't need to do that. In as good as all cases when I use Max to generate image bases I always render Tiffs with Alpha. If you check three posts up (Bad hair day - conclusion) from your you'll see I mention separaing the model from the background using Alpha.
In the case of fixing "Grace's" hair it was very helpful since from the models outline and out it was transparent. No background to erase when copying hair pieces.

Rendering Tiffs with Alphas is a true asset since most of my things in Max ends up as composites in Photoshop. As with the fake soda pop ad below.
The model, hat, bikinitop, right forearm and hand, can and straw were all rendered out as separate Tiffs and then composited back together in Photoshop. I even separated the top of the can from the rest of it and did the shiny metal effect in Photoshop.
Unfortunately, much of detail and colour tone is lost from scaling the image down and applying jpeg compression.

-- Jiger --
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SploshAd.jpg (91.1 KB, 14 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-11-2005, 07:10 AM

Nice work, I used to create tiff with alpha with but I guess when i started doing the video I changed to 32 bit targa files in sequence they seemed to work better.

I thought as you had already started to edit you might have wanted to just get a new alpha.

I guess that is where speed reading gets you...lol you miss the answer has already been found. glad it all worked out.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-11-2005, 08:39 AM

Creeduk !

Quote:
Nice work...
Thank you, creeduk !
Well, using 3D is just a way for me to get around involving a photographer, model, hair stylist, make-up artist and all that - which I couldn't pay for even to save my life...
The result leaves much to ask for, but hey - it's "cheap".

Quote:
I used to create tiff with alpha but I guess when i started doing the video I changed to 32 bit targa files in sequence they seemed to work better.
I fully understand since I originally learned this "trick" to render out Tiffs with Alpha from animation studios. Seems the pro's do this all the time - render out as sequenced stills, that is, rather than AVI's or QT's.
Leaves space to frame-by-frame editing (if needed) in apps like Photoshop.
Afterwords the sequenced stills are taken to - say Premiere - to be converted to video.
But I guess you know all about that since you work with the media.

Thanks for wanting to help me out, creeduk !

-- Jiger --
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help