RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Faded photo

Old 08-09-2005, 08:33 AM

Faded photo

Hi folks,

I have really enjoyed reading through this forum. Just don't have enough time to take it all in. It's great!

Here is a pic I have just started working on. On the left is the original and on the right is what I have done with it so far. I have used, layer masks, level and curve adjustment layers, etc.

Any suggestions you have for what more to do with it would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Tom
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Copy for Retouchpro.jpg (99.4 KB, 137 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-09-2005, 09:19 AM

tricky image. i think the first thing i'd do is crop this image to get rid of the folks on the bottom. there is nothing there worth saving. i'd also get rid of some of that curtain on the left with a crop.

next, i'd be very tempted to reduce or remove those curtains. they are more of a distraction than anything.

the guy in the middle looks good, although the data in his clothing seems to indicate that it was more blue. you could make a selection of that and alter it. but that's just a preference choice and not totally necessary.

the two girl's faces look as if they've had cloning applied. so, i'd be very tempted to redo those. and if you do, i'd simply make a selection of each face and a new image of the selection and double the image size, work on them separately, and then reduce them back down and paste them back in.

these are tricky images because they have multiple damage. it's faded and it's 'dirty'. the trick is to bring back from the fading while also cleaning up.

got to head off to work now, so, good luck

Craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-11-2005, 12:32 AM

Here is where I am at this time.

MOre feedback please? Thanks!

Tom
Attached Images
File Type: jpg steves-sisters-4.jpg (60.8 KB, 63 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-11-2005, 07:30 AM

looks ok to me

i think it came out nicely.. I like the deep colors..

Craig.. I was a little surprised at your advice.... i think the first thing i'd do is crop this image to get rid of the folks on the bottom. there is nothing there worth saving. ..... I'm not putting you in charge of any family reunions
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-11-2005, 09:20 AM

oh my! now how in the world did i miss that? the image i looked at originally only had the tops of the heads showing! not only that, but i dont seem to have the image on my harddrive any more! something odd going on here. lol rondon. you're absolutely correct. whatever it was that i did wrong, that advice was certainly misplaced. thanks

Craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-21-2005, 08:44 AM

color casting questions

Hi folks,

I'm still at it with this picture (the more difficult the more fun they are to work with and practice on). Anyway, I am wondering what you would do with the orange/brown color cast that dominates this photo? Nothing I do will remove it very well. Plus, when I do get some headway, the texture of the images starts chainging to where it looks bad in another way.

A previous attempt with the picture (also posted here) looks better on screen than it does when it is printed, so, back to the drawing board. I need hlep!!! :-)

Thanks,

Tom
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Merged.jpg (30.5 KB, 34 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-21-2005, 08:52 AM

Well from what I can see Tom your colours look good, but the attachment is really much too small to tell anything more than that. If you don;t already know, you can save your attachment up to 100kb, and best to make it around 600x800 pixels.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-21-2005, 09:34 PM

i'd also like to see the larger image. i worked on this a little bit, but in looking at your first and second attempts, i'd say you've got it well in hand. but, let's see that third attempt

Craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-21-2005, 11:42 PM

Faded Photo

Thanks for the replies I've received.

In reality, I have worked this picture over ad infinitum. I'm somewhat of a perfectionist when it comes to this type of stuff. Thus, I'm driving myself crazy going over and over and over the image. Sometimes spending, literally, all day long on one picture. So, I'm not sure which one to post. The one I'm refering to is one I thought would make the best print, not so. It still comes out way too dark on the clothes (girl on right and man in middle).

The file here is a little degraded because of it being reduced and changed in order to post. Maybe this will help. Let me know what you think.

Tom
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Scan1.jpg (76.6 KB, 41 views)

Last edited by tomvason; 08-21-2005 at 11:51 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-22-2005, 01:08 AM

you've come a long ways. i like how you cleaned up the faces.

i was concentrating more on the lighting and didnt spend near the time you probably did. to balance out the left to right lighting i made a mask with a gradient along the edges. the mask was over the bright areas. i then converted the mask to a selection and used an adjustment layer of contrast/lightness to tone it down to match the other side, the right side, more. seemed to work pretty well.

i also did some cleanup, but you've got me beat on that nice.

Craig
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Image1d.jpg (97.5 KB, 42 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help