RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

pattern in paper?

Old 09-03-2005, 10:39 AM

ah, ok. i thought maybe there was more to this than we were seeing on the original post. thank you, shdyldy.

yup, this looks like a job for FFT (fast fourier transform), as duv said. that is, if you want to keep it at the original resolution. but notice in your original post how the effect was reduced because of the posting limits. you can sometimes get rid of patterns like that by simply resizing, changing resolutions or a combination of both, if you're willing to sacrifice size and resolution.

Craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-03-2005, 11:00 AM

here's a couple examples of a quick use of FFT. the image 3 one used a blend mode of 'lightness' after the fft and image 4 used 'luminance' in the blend mode.

the basic steps are flatten your image if you already have layers.
run the fft filter.
paint out the 'stars' (i also paint some lines emanating out from the stars)
run the ifft filter (the counterpart to fft)
place your corrected image over the original as a new layer.
use a blend mode to get an overall effect of the two images together.

there are good tutorials, and lengthy discussions about the fft filters on these forums. you shld be able to find them by simply searching the forums using 'fft' as your keyword.

these pics i'm posting were done quickly just to show a base example of the fft. so, it appears i missed some stars or lines. a more thorough job could be done. also, dont worry about getting the pattern out of the background. the background can be completely replaced or fixed with other easier methods.

Craig
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Image3.jpg (96.4 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg Image4.jpg (91.3 KB, 24 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-03-2005, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraellin
here's a couple examples of a quick use of FFT. the image 3 one used a blend mode of 'lightness' after the fft and image 4 used 'luminance' in the blend mode.

the basic steps are flatten your image if you already have layers.
run the fft filter.
paint out the 'stars' (i also paint some lines emanating out from the stars)
run the ifft filter (the counterpart to fft)
place your corrected image over the original as a new layer.
use a blend mode to get an overall effect of the two images together.

there are good tutorials, and lengthy discussions about the fft filters on these forums. you shld be able to find them by simply searching the forums using 'fft' as your keyword.

these pics i'm posting were done quickly just to show a base example of the fft. so, it appears i missed some stars or lines. a more thorough job could be done. also, dont worry about getting the pattern out of the background. the background can be completely replaced or fixed with other easier methods.

Craig
I found the tutorial and downloaded the filter, Thanks! However it looks like I will have to fool with it later this weekend. My husband is trying to pass a kidney stone today. Yikes!
Thanks for all your help! I read a lot on here but have never posted before. I love restoration and I have learned a lot today!
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-03-2005, 11:17 AM

shdyldy,

Hope he's much better soon.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-03-2005, 11:29 AM

shdyldy,

you're welcome.

and i tried my own suggestion of changing resolution and resizing. it didnt work on this image. so, oh well. fft is probably going to be your best bet. it's not the easiest thing to work with, but with practice it can produce pretty good results. if you then follow that up with some other smoothing or slight blurring, you can probably get it to an acceptable level.

Craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-03-2005, 11:45 AM

In addition to the fft, another technique that may help when you have paper texture is to work with two scans.

Rescan the image turned 180 degrees, i.e. head down. In PS, rotate the new image back up and superimpose it over the 1st in overlay blend mode. This should cancel the shadows and highlights caused by the scanner's light being offset from the sensor. You can use difference blend mode temporarily to help superimpose the images.

Pierre
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-03-2005, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraellin
shdyldy,

you're welcome.

and i tried my own suggestion of changing resolution and resizing. it didnt work on this image. so, oh well. fft is probably going to be your best bet. it's not the easiest thing to work with, but with practice it can produce pretty good results. if you then follow that up with some other smoothing or slight blurring, you can probably get it to an acceptable level.

Craig
I had a chance to fool with it some and after I make a BG copy and had a levels adjustment layer, I flattened it, applied the filter, went to the channels pallette, selected red and all I get it solid black......no stars. Did I miss something?
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-03-2005, 07:27 PM

My Result

Quote:
Originally Posted by shdyldy
I had a chance to fool with it some and after I make a BG copy and had a levels adjustment layer, I flattened it, applied the filter, went to the channels pallette, selected red and all I get it solid black......no stars. Did I miss something?
I applied myself and the filter.........cloned away and this is what I came up with.
Thank You, the FFT download worked great!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg peeps done.jpg (88.5 KB, 29 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-03-2005, 09:25 PM

there ya go! VERY well done

Craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-04-2005, 06:47 PM

You can try this ...

http://www.restoring-photos-made-eas...ned-Photo.html
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help