RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Help with color bands

Old 09-12-2005, 11:31 AM

Red face

Thank you Rô,
Lots of skilled people in here!!
I always listening:
Desaturated in Hue/Sat AL, Sat -90.
Painted back the colour on the the tiger by painting with black in the mask.
Fine tuned the Curves AL. Painted a bit in the mask to, 8% Opacity.
Wonder if I should extract the tiger and placed it in the wilderness, but mayby norwegian forests is a bit strange?

Frode
Attached Images
File Type: jpg testtiger2.jpg (91.6 KB, 20 views)

Last edited by Frode; 09-12-2005 at 11:42 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-12-2005, 01:39 PM

Thank, Ro, nice to see you too. I'm kinda busy with my own site, but it's nice to see what's happening elsewhere. Or maybe my addiction is just getting harder to satisfy...where's the "addict" emoticon?

Frode, looks great! Just could use some more contrast around mouth/chin/neck area and the eyes could be brightened a bit.

Catia, maybe if we ask nicely Flora will give us more details on making those selections and tweaking with the adjustment layers. Flora, what order worked best or did you just hop around till it was perfect? And it IS perfect.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-12-2005, 02:57 PM

Frode, nice job. I couldn't have gotten that far. But I have a tip for you for final clean up. The attachement shows two areas, A and B. In A, the basic colorization is neutral, black and white. Your image shows some yellow cast on the chest and on the left side of the chin. It seems out of place with the surrounding areas. In B, there is color, but there is a dark splotch in the middle of it.

To fix A, use a brush, blending Hue, opacity 10%, large, soft. Set color to white. Brush over discolored areas, gradually removing cast. Hue works on color only, while Color works with Hue and Saturation. If there is no color, ie white, Hue will 'decolor', neutralize the brushed area.

For area B, we don't want to neutralize, we want to put the color back in the unsaturated area. Similar to above, but this time, blending Color, and sample a color of the stripe that is similar to what you want. Build up color gradually until it closely matches surrounding area.

The first method is commonly used to remove color casts in the teeth and whites of the eyes. The second, to remove reddish casts caused by blemishes and differences in make up on women.

Larry
Attached Images
File Type: jpg testtiger2-LL.jpg (92.8 KB, 16 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-12-2005, 03:09 PM

well, with all the great works being posted here, i just couldnt leave mine alone. taking tips from phyllis and flora i corrected some more things in mine. i think i could live with it now

Craig
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BandedTiger-1-k-1d.jpg (95.5 KB, 20 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-12-2005, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frode
Wonder if I should extract the tiger and placed it in the wilderness
Great idea for a finishing touch... tigers can't be happy in cement cages, after all. Someone should do this!

Craig, great job! One more little thing and it would be done... mouth and chest area seem a bit washed out compared to the rest. Maybe a very low opacity big soft burn brush would do the trick.

OOPS! Edited cuz I'd typed "dodge" instead of "burn"...silly me.

Last edited by Phyllis_Stewart; 09-13-2005 at 12:02 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-12-2005, 05:17 PM

Thanks for the tip, Larry

In B I just missed when I painted in the mask.

This one should have been a Challenge, Phyllis.
If it was a Challenge or a contest, I think I had fixed the lack of contrast to.

Give us the high res. image and lets start over

Frode
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-12-2005, 10:07 PM

well, phyllis, i wasnt going to change anything else, but i kept looking at your comments and my picture and being the compulsive so and so that i am, i made some more changes. i worked on some of the things you mentioned and also found a few odd places where the orange still existed where it shldnt. i also blurred the background and cloned in some fur where the whites had blown things out. also fixed a few minor smudges that needed sharpening and a few other minor points like the white of the concrete curb.

now, if you find anything else....

Craig
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BandedTiger-1-k-1e.jpg (96.9 KB, 13 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-13-2005, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraellin
well, phyllis [...] now, if you find anything else...
Craig, if I do, what will happen? I am going to live dangerously and assume you meant to finish that sentence with "please tell me." If I'm wrong, I will move to Montana where you'll never find me. If I'm right, I'm still nervous. I’m always nervous when someone asks for critiques, wondering how much they REALLY want. But I’ll be brave and assume you really want advice on improvements.

A: Stripes too black
A&B: Eye color and tone don’t match, nor do stripes
C: Mouth area needs to be darker, more contrast here
D: Stripe is darkened, but too saturated with orange, needs to be desaturated cuz tigers’ stripes are black/gray, never orangey.
E: Area too light, fur washed out, and stripes too light and still orange
X’s: Fur doesn’t match...nose is less saturated and much darker than shoulder, which, altho orange, is too light due to bars. I think the best orange for the tiger lies between these two colors somewhere.

So, are you sorry you asked? On my site we have an animated emoticon called :sofahide: where I can duck behind a big blue sofa for protection...sure wish you had one here now. Shudddder!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frode
Give us the high res. image and lets start over.
There's a lot I hate in my own patched-together effort here, and if I were going to print this tiger, I'd definitely start over and do it right next time, knowing now where the tricky parts were and how to handle them better. But like the rest of us, I just thought I'd give it a go and didn't strive for a perfect final version. If we did it from scratch again, we'd all have better results I'm sure. Except of course for Fantastic Flora, whose work can seldom be improved upon!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg areas.jpg (80.7 KB, 12 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-13-2005, 02:17 AM

Ok, I tried to finish it. A few selective Curve adjustment layers and Larrys tip about desaturate. A Hue/Sat layer with Sat +17.
Smart sharpen.

Frode
Attached Images
File Type: jpg testtiger3.jpg (98.8 KB, 20 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-13-2005, 02:37 AM

Frode, that looks really great! Only two teensy things popped out at me... the shades of orange on top of his head don't match left to right, and the whites on his shoulders are a touch too dark and could use a bit of brightening. Otherwise, looks terrific!
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help