RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Help with color bands

Old 09-13-2005, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Craig, if I do, what will happen? I am going to live dangerously and assume you meant to finish that sentence with "please tell me." If I'm wrong, I will move to Montana where you'll never find me.
hehehe, no need to move to montana although, i do hear it's a pretty scenic state.

you may always critique anything i post on retouchpro. it's part of the reason for being here, to me at least. i would caution one thing (not that you're guilty of the following, but just as a message to everyone); the word 'critique' is sometimes mis-used in 'art' circles. the word means to keenly observe and comment upon. this means both the good points and the bad (good and bad are a bit relative and subjective here, but i'll use them anyways). if one ONLY points out the bad, as has been somewhat the trend of late in other venues besides retouchpro, there is a tendency to make the artist think there is nothing right with his/her work. so, if one critiques, one shld always also point out the good in the same manner that one points out the bad, point by point. only pointing out the bad is like an employer who only tells an employee when he's done something wrong and never compliments or notes when the employee does something right. one tends to get that 'boy, i just cant do anything right' sort of feeling in the employee. so, that's my only criteria i ask when critiqueing.

now, you did compliment me on the piece. that's good and i appreciate that and by virtue of that compliment what you've said in essence is, 'i like everything else you did, but these points'. so, in fact, you did follow my criteria; so, we're good and no need to hide behind the cyber-sofa

as for what i may do with what you've suggested:

A. not going to worry about this one
A&B yes, noticed this myself and originally chalked it up to 'lighting', but looking at it now, you may be right.
C agreed. thought i had fixed that...ah well.
D yeah, i worked on that, but in looking at flora's, i'm not there yet.
E. worked on that also. it was REALLY blown out. had to clone in some texture just to get it to there. maybe i'll use the whiten/darken brush, but it's actually satisfactory to me as is... except for the stripe. can desat and darken that.
X's yes, had noticed that also and really wasnt sure whether to chalk that up to 'lighting' or if it shld be handled. not even quite sure how i got that. i could lighten the head fur a bit and see. in actual fact, when i look at all the fur, there definitely seems to be regions of difference in shading....right side/left side of head, nose relative to head, nose relative to body and so on. i may have to look at all those regions again and the original lighting.

also, one critique of my own on flora's. this could just be my monitor, as i change my gamma at different times of the day, but it overall seems a bit too saturated, again, to my tastes and settings. overall, both yours and hers are excellent, though. but then, i'm almost always impressed with flora's and i can see from yours, that i'm going to have to add another 'gee, i wonder what phyllis would do with this?' to my list

so, thank you for taking the time to critique mine, especially with the added illustrated image!

Craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-13-2005, 03:44 PM

Thanks and Sorry everybody!!!

I'm just in the middle of moving home .... Came back here tonight for a nice HOT shower... and to check my mail ...

After the shower I'm going to write the details of my restoration!!!
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-13-2005, 07:25 PM

I'm back ....

Thanks again everybody for your kind comments!!!!

Craig,

just tell me when you arrive and I'll pick you up from the airport! ...

What I did in this picture:

* Loosely selected and strongly feathered the faded areas (Attachments 1).

*Copied my selection on its own Layer. (Attachments 2)

* Used the Shadow/Highligh Adjustment for consistency and very basic colour correction. (Attachments 3)

*(Attachments 4) shows how my correction Layer looked like right after the Shadow/Highlight fix.

* Created a Blank Layer set to Color and a very soft black brush (Opacity 30-40%) to practically desaturate around the tiger and on the tiger's coat where it should have been white (or nearly white)

* Created Levels Adjustment Layer for a first enhancement of the image ...

(Attachments 5) shows how my 'selection' looked like after these two last steps.

After this, it was further enhancing by creating Blank Layers set to Soft Light/Overlay ... (I'm so glad you are still using it Phyllis!!!!) and with a soft Black or white brush (Opacity 10%) I painted over the parts I wanted to enhance ... (Black on the shadows to increase them, white over the highlights to make them stand out more)

I used a Selective Colors AL to enhnce the yellow/red of the tiger's coat.

Finally, I used USM to lightly sharpen the tiger only ...

Great job everybody!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tiger0.jpg (96.6 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg Tiger1.jpg (97.3 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg Tiger2.jpg (95.7 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg Tiger3.jpg (97.6 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg Tiger4.jpg (97.5 KB, 18 views)

Last edited by Flora; 09-13-2005 at 07:36 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-13-2005, 07:35 PM

Hi Frode,

Welcome to RP!

Great Job!!! ... and once you touched up what Phyllis suggested, it's really going to look terrific!!!
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-13-2005, 09:25 PM

Quote:
just tell me when you arrive and I'll pick you up from the airport! ...
hehehe, you're a dear

and thank you for posting your steps. i was curious also.

Craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-13-2005, 10:07 PM

Flora, do you have room in your new place for one more houseguest? I'm very good at unpacking. All I want in return is to quietly look over your shoulder as you retouch. I'll even cook! Hope you like peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.

Seriously, thanks so much for taking the time to show the steps and especially the shadow/highlight settings. I've saved that one for future reference in case I try this guy again. And I should have known your magic overlay/softlight layer trick would have a big part.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-14-2005, 02:57 AM

Thanks, Flora

I think I leave it now. Nature is my subject and I don't believe the tiger is 100 % symetric. Maybe it's just an excuse.
Thanks for shearing your technique, I will look into it (The result is great). And that’s why I joined. You can always find new techniques to speed up your work. I also have a little handicap in my colour vision, so I always looking for ways to find the right colours in other ways than subjective vision and judgement. And that’s also why I posted my first post, another way to do it.
RP have been fun so far. Maybe I will look into some of your old challenges.

Frode
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-14-2005, 01:57 PM

phyllis,

despite my earlier, long, and somewhat frustrated post, i did take what you had to say to heart and worked on this some more. the eyes are now more even. the orange is now more even all around. the stripes are darker, though maybe could stand some more. the mouth is darker and i got rid of some more orange where it shldnt be and i redid the overall look and feel a bit. i even re-did his left ear, though you hadnt mentioned that one.

it's no flora or phyllis, but i do like it better.

thank you!

Craig
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BandedTiger-1-k-1k.jpg (96.9 KB, 18 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-14-2005, 10:07 PM

Craig, looks good to these old eyes! All the colors seem to be right and the tones match well. It's got strong blacks, but that just adds intensity, and tigers are pretty intense critters, after all.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-15-2005, 04:32 AM

I come from China, I like here.
Hope to be with everybody to become the friend!
Beg your pardon for me mess English

adong
Attached Images
File Type: jpg temp.jpg (90.8 KB, 27 views)

Last edited by adong; 09-15-2005 at 04:47 AM.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help