RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Help with color bands

Old 09-09-2005, 12:27 PM

Help with color bands

I have exhausted my meager knowledge of PS CS. Can someone point me in the right direction for removing the blurred color bands in this photo? They were caused by the out of focus wire cage between the tiger and I.

Thanks, Catia
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BandedTiger.jpg (98.1 KB, 87 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-09-2005, 12:57 PM
Patron

Wire Excitement

I improved it some. There is a vertical and horizontal band across the photo. I selected the vertical one first use the Marquis tool then I went into quick mask mode and blurred the selection to mimic the vertical wire and copied that to a new layer to work on it. I did the same thing with the horizontal wire. I then tried a multiply blending mode and decreased the saturation. Its better but perhaps copying to separate layers may get you started.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fence.jpg (43.8 KB, 36 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-09-2005, 01:48 PM

hi catia,

these type problems are a good exercise for me. it's an area i've had difficulty correcting in the past. so, i gave it a shot.

first, i created a mask across the trouble band
i applied the fast fix plugin for a general quick fix just to get it a bit easier.
i added a contrast adjustment layer, grouped to the layer with the mask and added contrast and darkened.
added a new raster layer in the same group. on this i did a little painting to correct the orange in the gray background. blurred this with gausian blur.
did some smudge and airbrush on the new raster to even things up a bit.
merge all.

did a lot of clone to get rid of traces of the banding still left. but none on the tiger. used a little smudge too. took our the plants in the background. they were just in the way and not essential to the pic. got rid of the orange blur above that curb also.
ran another fast fix to even up things on the tiger
added a color balance adjustment layer to even up the colors on the tiger.
merge all

ran a light clone on the banding marks on the tiger and off to even this out.
ran the saturation up/down brush to do the same. also some lighten/darken brush for same.
used the 'change to target' brush to color correct the left ear.
used the push brush to fix around the left ear on the background. getting rid of final traces of orange.
a little more saturation brush to finalize things.

done.

hope you like it,

Craig

edit: oh, and somewhere in there was a use of Stroker's 'Lum frequencies' plugin to sharpen, particularly the tiger's head.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BandedTiger-1-k-1.jpg (96.8 KB, 57 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-09-2005, 02:36 PM

Thanks Phil and Craig. You have given me a couple of places to start and more importantly shown me that all is not lost.

Catia
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-09-2005, 02:57 PM

catia,

you're welcome.

i made just a few more minor corrections. just wanted to try out psp's black and white points and see what it could do. still learning all the new features.

Craig
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BandedTiger-1-k-1a.jpg (97.2 KB, 35 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-09-2005, 03:33 PM

This is just a quickie I did, I could do a better job if I spent more time on it, and was more careful with my layer bleeds.

Basically its just a mix of masked colour correction and burn layers. Each section needed correcting separately because the discoulouration and brightness distortion was not uniform. In some places I've overcorrected because I was being rough with it. I'm sure you could do a much better job if you spent time on it.
I've included my layers so you can see what that looks like
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tiger.jpg (96.4 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg layers.jpg (43.1 KB, 26 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-09-2005, 03:41 PM

Had a very quick go with this one, blending out of band edges still needs some work.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BandedTiger copy.jpg (91.7 KB, 30 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-09-2005, 06:37 PM

That is terrific Nancy. Thanks a lot.

Catia
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-09-2005, 07:33 PM

Normally, I'm pretty good at seperating varying colors and shades from one another-- but this tiger presented a fairly tough challenge because using masks, let's just say, is not my forte and the colors between the bands and the tiger were far too similar. I looked at the picture and asked myself, "Is there an easier way to fix this problem?"

I read a thread awhile ago where someone mention Lab color as a potential solution to color problems, so I switched the picture into lab mode, selected the color bands with a regular marquee, copied them into a new layer, inversed the selection, copied the unbanded section into a layer of their own and then adjusted the "lightness" layer's brightness and contrast of the band layer until it about matched the unbanded one. Then I popped it back into RGB mode, did a match color - merge between the two layers and the color band was all but gone. And a quick swish with the heal to get rid of the thin lines of difference (mind you, this is just quickie).....

It was the first time I actually ever used lab color mode, and it took all but a couple of minutes to achieve a fair looking picture. I'd imagine with just a little more time and tweaking the results could be phenomenal.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BandedTiger_roob.jpg (99.3 KB, 40 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-11-2005, 02:17 AM

Started with layers and eraser to get tones and colors better on average, then used burn, dodge, sponge, and paint brush set to color, as well as some cloning on background. Correcting tones wasn't so hard, but getting all the orange out took a bit longer. A tiger's stripes are all black, but the cage bars turned them orange, and that was best fixed with hand tools.

Larger image with comparison:
http://www.pbase.com/pstewart/image/49065524/original
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pbase48903261_retouch.jpg (99.0 KB, 67 views)

Last edited by Phyllis_Stewart; 09-11-2005 at 02:28 AM.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help