RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Colour Correct

Old 09-16-2005, 04:54 PM

Colour Correct

How long does it take to color correct photo, mask out white background and replace with black background. It took me eleven minutes (used the red channel as a mask).. maybe I'm slow and need to refine my technique, client wants to pay $1 to have this done to 300 photos....think not!
~Nancy~
Attached Images
File Type: jpg examp.jpg (62.1 KB, 67 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-16-2005, 07:11 PM

ooppssssss

forgot to upload the "after" file.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg examp.jpg (52.2 KB, 55 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-16-2005, 07:15 PM

Slow! That's a lot faster than me, but then I hate extractions. 15-20 minutes for me.

I would charge $1.00 just to open the files and look at them. That would net you about $60 an hour, cause that alone would be about a minute a file.

If the lighting is consisitent, you can color correct one file and save the corrections and batch correct them. That alone would eat up the $1.00.

If the client knew what the end result was going to be, why did they use a white background with a white suit? The suit blends in with the background in a few places which will require some special hand work. If all the subjects were in white, it was a big mistake. If different colors, its a different matter. It is their mistake and they have to pay for it, not you.

Larry
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-16-2005, 08:21 PM

I soooooooooo agree with you! In this global market he'll find someone to do it for his price; not me! ;-)
~Nancy~
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-16-2005, 10:52 PM

tell him for his $300 you'll give him an estimate of the work. $1 per image on that sort of image is a rip.

that particular image is amateurish. there are several things wrong with it and it tends to be true that the worse the photography, the less they want to pay to touch it up, but the more it actually needs to be touched up. and like leuallen said, not only is it a white suit on a white background, but he blew out the whites on the suit making it that much harder to correct with a mask or fill. it's lit wrong in several other places as well.

if the other pictures arent any worse than this one and you could do that one in eleven minutes, i'd say something more along the lines of $10 per image would be a better rate, but that's saying it blind without seeing the other images.

Craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-16-2005, 11:36 PM

Well I think you could possible speed the process a little - have to admit I just used the magic wand for his, and other than the sleeve and hat it worked pretty well. But $1 would be a joke. To do a good job it would take you about 15 minutes I would think once you had dealt with fiddly bits like the shine on the hat. A rough job maybe 5. So if you really wanted to work like a slave I guess $5-$10 per image would be reasonable.

Also, do they really want a matt black background, or do they want a black backdrop? It would look a lot more realistic to have something with a bit of texture I think.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg exampcait.jpg (98.0 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg exampcait2.jpg (99.9 KB, 39 views)

Last edited by Caitlin; 09-16-2005 at 11:45 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-16-2005, 11:57 PM

About six minutes, include time to open Photoshop, save the file, and write this message.

Of course-- I wasn't being careful, hence the shoulder. :P
Attached Images
File Type: jpg examp_roob.jpg (73.3 KB, 30 views)

Last edited by RooB; 09-17-2005 at 12:09 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-17-2005, 12:09 AM

Oye vey.

Is that $1 per photo? :P

Here's a muse.....

At my current rate (which will be changing when I bring my business online) is $8.50/hr, and I could do a careful cut and color fix of each one of these in 5-6 minutes (above was excessive rush, color adjust took 1 min, cut took about 1 minute, the rest was Photoshop loading :P). Roughly, 10 photos/hour-- so, at my current rate I would have been doing it $0.85 per photo. (and that's CAD).

Sad, sad, sad.

I need to stop rushing my examples-- but at $8.50/hr I can't afford to do examples for too long.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-17-2005, 12:12 AM

You've kept the earring there RooB - well spotted - I was a bit slack and removed it . The edges are a bit soft though - I think you'll find that to get a cleaner edge will equal more time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RooB
Roughly, 10 photos/hour-- so, at my current rate I would have been doing it $0.85 per photo. (and that's CAD).
But I think we've already established that that is not even close to a professional rate. You could do them for free if you wanted to too!
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-17-2005, 12:24 AM

Aye, you get what you pay for, eh?

Honestly, I am much more careful with paid work-- I have to be, since I have a "If you don't like it you don't buy it" policy. Luckily, I haven't had anyone who hasn't liked it yet. :P

Of course, I also refuse commercial work-- too much slavery, too many deadlines-- to me, it isn't only business, it's relaxation, so why make it into work?
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help