RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Advice on this over exposure

Old 09-17-2005, 12:25 AM

Advice on this over exposure

Through the RetouchPro Forum, I discovered the FFT filter. Truly amazing. Times like these I'm so thankful for people with higher IQ's than mine!
The difficulty with this image is self-explanatory. Any advice would be most appreciated!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg working-copy-3.jpg (96.5 KB, 72 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-17-2005, 10:30 AM

Very quick and dirty go with your image (have made no attempt to remove texture).

Did levels adj, masked to expose blown out area. Seperate levels, masked for shadow area (this introduced a significant green colour cast) adjusted to remove without too much success, so did a quick colour job (better results would have been possible with more time).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg working-copy-3 copy.jpg (88.4 KB, 48 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-17-2005, 11:23 AM

Hi pjstaley

I tried to equalize the light, but the results are not very good.

I used the fft to remove some of the pattern. You're right! It is an amazing tool .

Pierre
Attached Images
File Type: jpg working-copy-3-panpan1.jpg (99.1 KB, 51 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-17-2005, 11:33 AM

Did a Selective color adjustment and then a Levels adjustment -- it takes some time and work, but it can look pretty good when you're done.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg UnevenExposure-cj.jpg (89.4 KB, 48 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-17-2005, 12:32 PM

Just the lightness.

Hi,
Levels AL, adjust,use Gradient tool in the mask.
Ctrl-click mask, inverse selection, Levels AL, adjust
Ctrl-click mask, Curves AL. adjust

This is just the start and the adjustment is subjective, but the technique is quick and good.

Frode
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ScreenShot202.jpg (99.6 KB, 27 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-17-2005, 05:44 PM

Thank you all...

I was (and still am) excited about being in the business of restoring photos. Sometimes, though, it feels like being married to a co-dependant. You're always finding different ways to solve somebody else's problems, it's always a different problem, and it never goes away. BUT, you go on, and you keep trying. And you know without question that without a good support system, everything would go south in a hurry. So, with that in mind, thank goodness for control top panty hose, wonderbras and the RetouchPro support team. Thank you all so much.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-18-2005, 02:36 AM

Hi PJ,

As I said in reply to your PM, here's what I did.

Took your original image, and copied to a new layer (I always do this, so that I don't work on the original.)

Now applied a levels adjustment layer to whole picture, adjusting until the LHS of the picture was just lighter than the dark RHS (Toggle the layer On and Off to compare it with the original below). Sorry can't give you actual settings, as I've recently cleared out my files, and this picture was one that got deleted. I now applied a gradient mask to the Levels adj layer, starting at the LHS and halting round about the shadow line.

Created a new levels adjustment layer, and this time lightened the whole image, to try and balance the RHS with the rest of the image (again toggle this layer On and Off to compare with the layer below). Applied another graduated mask.

Now de-selected base layer, then merged all other layers.

Created a new layer, set to soft light blend mode, filled with 50% grey. Now using a soft black brush set to about 5-10% opacity, painted to darken areas that still needed a touch more dark, also using a soft white brush set to 5-10% opacity, painted to lighten areas that needed lightening.

Lastly, created new layer, and set to colour mode. Selecting colours taken from good areas, painted over mis-coloured areas (mostly on RHS). I was in a bit of a rush, so the results aren't too good, with a bit more care and time I'm sure my efforts can be improved upon.

Hope this explains things, if further clarification needed on any point, just ask.

Gary
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-18-2005, 10:42 AM

Hi pj.

I'm going to put a copy of these explanations on the website in case others are interested. In what follows, I call the four women, from left to right, ggm (great-grandmother), gm(grandmother), g(girl) and m (mother).

Let me answer you last question first. The blind is white and evenly colored because I cheated! Most of the blind is a transformation of the section between the middle separator and m's head. Her arm is a transformed version of ggm's and, lastly, that side of the sofa is a transformed copy of the other side.

I worked separately on luminosity and color. The two light sources in the image affect both. The flood dominates on the left two thirds (which I'll call left for short) and the ambient light dominates the right third (right for short).

On the color side, I loosely selected the right side with a 20-feather and neutralised the blind with the middle dropper on the levels tool. I inverted the selection and neutralized the blind on that side. (I didn't modify the curve at all at this point.) The red channel is maxed on the left highlights so the colors are altered. I used the color replacement brush with m's flesh tones as the source to fix this.

On the luminosity side, I started with the fft to get rid of most of the paper texture. I worked with a copy of the image as is, but I thought of an improvement. Bring in the three RGB channels as layers. Notice how the red channel's highlights are blown on the left and how the blue channel is not so good on the right. So the plan is to build the luminosity from 50% green and 50% blue on the left and 50% green and 50% red on the right. With the green layer on th bottom, mask the appropriate areas of the red and green layers and set their opacity to 50%. When done, merge the layers with ctrl-e and set the blending mode to luminosity. We already have a better quality image.

I never managed to make the fft filter work per the tutorial on this site; I always end up with a transparent image. So I developped a kludge. Here it is. First, select the luminosity layer and turn off the other layers, filter>blur>average and use the eyedropper tool to set the foreground color to that average. Ctrl-z to undo. Now image>canvas size and use 200 for height and width. This puts a 100-pixel border around the image to absorb "ringing" so the filter effects reach to the edges. Because this is not the background layer, that border is transparent. Fill it with the foreground color (i.e. the
average luminosity we obtained earlier). Ctrl-j to make a copy; turn that copy off for now. Filter>Fourier Transform>FFT RGB, select the red channel and, with the brush set to a black hard circle, overwite the white dots and dashes, except the center and center lines (a dot on the line is ok to erase as long as it's not the center). If you're like me, the darker areas have become transparent when you do filter>fourier transform>ifft rgb. I sometimes copy the layer many times until the image becomes fully opaque and then merge those layers. A better idea is to use the copy we made
before the fft. If we do ctrl-i to invert it, filter it with fft and invert again, we get a result where the lighter areas are transparent instead of the darker. Merging that result with the first, I get an opaque image after only three copies usually. We don't need the border anymore so we crop the image to
the original size.

After merging the luminosity and the color layer, I selected the lighter values with ctl-alt-acute, put them on a layer with ctrl-j, set the blend mode to multiply and adjusted the opacity. I then selected the right side onto a screen-blend layer. I did that a second time.

The rest is the copying I talked about at the beginning and various fiddling with details.

I hope that helps. (Now you know why I only give details on request. I tend to go on a bit ).

Pierre
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-18-2005, 11:17 AM

pj, a pictoral sample would be nice My version was as simple as a gradient only

Last edited by Cassidy; 09-18-2005 at 11:45 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-18-2005, 08:55 PM

working on the original i got it a little better, but it still needs work.

Craig
Attached Images
File Type: jpg working-copy-3-1-k-2a.jpg (95.2 KB, 31 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help