RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

How can I fix the sky in my pics?

Old 10-05-2005, 07:31 AM

How can I fix the sky in my pics?

Hey all,

I was just wondering if someone could help me. In most of the photos I take of landscapes there seems to be what looks like smog on the skyline. I dont know if it is the camera or the memory card causing this.

What I would like to know is how can I fix this with photoshop? I would like to keep the pictures as close to original as possible.

I have attached a pic to show what is happening.

Thanks
Margie
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Eaglehawk neck.jpg (68.3 KB, 107 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-05-2005, 07:43 AM
Patron

Smog Removal

The original seemed fairly normal and expected to me. The distance does get a little hazy either from normal humidity or smog. To increase the contrast in the background I used a levels adjustment layer in photoshop. I moved the black slider to the right to increase the contrast in the photo. I then filled the mask with black so there was no effect initially.
I then painted the mask with white to bring out the background.

Your original though was fine and appeared to be natural.

The enclosed picture shows the levels adjustment layer and what was masked (black) and what was shown.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg background.jpg (45.7 KB, 70 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-05-2005, 07:59 AM

This image does look strange to me - but I suppose if you live in an area that has smog haze, it is understandable. It's not simply normal haziness caused by distance, as there is a very distinct curved line in the sky, rather than the more normal gradation of shading - I presume this must be a low lying layer of smog. If you are not in a built up area then I find it a bit baffling.

(Well, either that, or you've captured on film a damn big sister planet that we have previously been unaware of... )
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Eaglehawk-neckhaze.jpg (99.6 KB, 40 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-05-2005, 08:28 AM

The previous picture was taken in southern Tasmania, Australia. There are virtually no built up areas here. It is actually quite a picturesque spot. The air in Tasmania is the purest in the world. There is no smog, I assure you. The worlds air purity is measured not far from where this pic was taken.
On the day the pic was taken the skies were blue with no sign of any smog whatsoever.
I have attached pic of Hobart, where you would expect smog. It has the same 'smog' outline. This pic is taken about 75km north of the other one, and over the city. I would expect some smog but not this much.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hobart.jpg (53.5 KB, 54 views)

Last edited by ScubaMargie; 10-05-2005 at 08:34 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-05-2005, 08:34 AM

Do you have any other examples on a clear sky Margie? That last one from Hobart looks like a more natural cloud effect.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-05-2005, 08:36 AM

hi scubamargie,

and welcome to RP!

i think if this thing showed up in my camera takes, and i knew this wasnt there in the sky when i took the shot, then i'd be very suspicious of the camera, particularly the lens. if it's not on the lens, and you've got a camera with detachable lenses, then i'd be very suspicious of the internal surface of the camera.

if it's neither of those, then i'd try to isolate where it's coming from. it could be a translation problem when transferring the image from the camera to the computer. or maybe it's just something with the way ps is reading your camera files or a setting in ps that needs to change. really not sure.

i'd also check the camera manual and see if there is a setting on the camera that may be set wrong.

as for fixing the image in ps, i'm not a ps user, but the operations shld be similar. the first question is, though, do you want to completely remove that yellowish hue or just blend the bluer sky with this yellower one in a more natural way?

Craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-05-2005, 08:39 AM

have a look at this one Caitlin.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0026.jpg (84.7 KB, 58 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-05-2005, 08:52 AM

Thanks Kraellin,
I bought this camera to take diving. It takes really good pics under the water.
I only seem to have problems with it above water.

You might be right about the lens. I dont think it is a problem with photoshop because other programs pic it up as well.

Attached is a pic taken underwater.

I would like to take as much of the yellow out as possible. Make it look more like what I saw the day I took the picture.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0066.jpg (41.5 KB, 46 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-05-2005, 09:05 AM

ok, that's something on the camera. notice that in pic 1 and pic 3 the yellow smudge is almost exactly the same. it's got the same arc and the same hue. that's almost gotta be on the camera or lens. that it doesnt show in the underwater pics isnt a surprise. the blue is masking the yellow there, i would guess.

ever think about leaks? that water might have gotten inside the camera or lens during an underwater shot?

and that
Quote:
I dont think it is a problem with photoshop because other programs pic it up as well.
again points to the camera or lens.

ok, to fix your current images, use the hue/saturation/lightness adjustment layer and simply alter that hue to what you want it to be. in psp you could also maybe use the hue map feature to do this, but the hue/sat/light adjustment layer shld do the trick.

Craig

edit: oh, and dont use the 'master' setting in hue/sat/light. use one of the color settings.... like yellow
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-05-2005, 09:10 AM

Yup, I agree with Craig - It's got to be a camera or lens problem. Have you tried taking some test shots of blank white/grey backgrounds?

This is a bit rough at the edges - but a magic wand selection, and a colour and brightness/contract adjustment layers seem to be able to fix the problem relatively easily (at least for a clean sky such as this one).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Eaglehawk-neckhazerepair.jpg (99.4 KB, 33 views)

Last edited by Caitlin; 10-05-2005 at 09:22 AM.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help