RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

How to erase a black majic marker

Old 10-05-2005, 02:52 PM

How to erase a black majic marker

Hi All,

Attached is a class photo, and apparently the young lady didn't like her picture at the time. Is there any way to get rid of the black marker across her face? I've checked the channels for possible channel replacement, but it seems to show up equally in all channels.

Thanks for your help.

Steve
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Class cropped.jpg (88.8 KB, 102 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-05-2005, 03:05 PM

It seems to me her face is pretty much destroyed by the marker-- and the only potential solution would be to find a similar picture and then superimpose the head from the other photo onto her body in this photo.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-05-2005, 05:14 PM

There should be a solvent that will remove that. A solution for cleaning I've used is PEC-12, which is an archival photo emulsion cleaner. It includes in its list of muck it can remove 'most permanent inks'. If you're in the US it should be fairly easy to find eg. link . If you are in Australasia, I can give you the address of the Australian importer.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-05-2005, 07:30 PM

Thanks to both of you. I was afraid the face was out of reach for restoring digitally, and you confirmed that. I hadn't thought of using a chemical on the original, great idea.

Many thanks, Steve
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-05-2005, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srailey
Hi All,

Attached is a class photo, and apparently the young lady didn't like her picture at the time. Is there any way to get rid of the black marker across her face? I've checked the channels for possible channel replacement, but it seems to show up equally in all channels.

Thanks for your help.

Steve

As a mum, I have only one quesiton: did the unhappy young lady have her bum sufficiently warmed to discourage this activity in future?

Maureen
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-06-2005, 06:53 AM

Interesting you should mention that....several months ago I posted here a school class photo with blue marker on a young girls face. The young girl in that photo is the mother of the young lady in this recent photo, and that was the mother's class photo from "way back when". Fortunately I was able to restore that photo, through careful cloning and head substitution (from another photo taken the same day) of the mother, but I suggested she definitely needed a serious mother/daughter talk.

Steve
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-07-2005, 03:12 PM

i've been playing with this a bit since it was posted. i tried several different methods, none of which was very satisfactory. nonetheless, i got a little bit, but bear in mind that this is extremely speculative! so, be kind

Craig
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Class_cropped-1-k-1a.jpg (94.4 KB, 68 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-07-2005, 05:01 PM

I don't know if that's the girl-- but it does sort of look like a younger Mona Lisa.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-08-2005, 02:42 PM

hehe, roob. you shld have seen the first 6 attemps

it's not right. it's not natural, but it's about as much as i was willing to spend the time on and approximate.

Craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-15-2005, 07:22 AM

Well, folks, there is a happy ending to this story, but through a solution I didn't expect.

I explained to the mother the difficulty in restoring the face since it appeared most of the face information was lost behind the black marker. I mentioned, as suggested above, that she try a chemical removal. She thought for a minute, then pulled a "Handi Wipe" from her purse...you know...the kind of wipe in small square sealed packets that, at least around here, we normally have handed out at BBQ restaurants to clean our hands after a messy dinner. She opened it and rubbed it on the marker and off came the black marker. The photo is now like new.

Moral of this story...never underestimate the power and resourcefulness of a mom. They carry those big purses for a reason and keep them stuffed with magical items.

Thanks to all for your effort.

Steve
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help