RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

going for a photo-shoot look..

Old 10-05-2005, 05:02 PM

going for a photo-shoot look..

Hi, I wanted to know if anyone could try to make this photo look like a glamour or modeling shoot. Unfortunately, the picture is bad quality and theres a small line on the mouth and chin done by the camera somehow. I was wondering if the line could maybe be removed also? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

If anyone would like to give it a shot, please email me at jammar190@aol.com ..i know its a spam risk, but its a risk im willing to take since I can't find a photo host that keeps the quality.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-05-2005, 05:18 PM

Jammer, if you could post an attachment here it would get you a lot more response. If the size is a problem, why not post a cropped section of the part you are having the difficulty with?
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-05-2005, 08:30 PM

ok, i was alittle scared to do this, because when I did before, it came out alittle more blurry than it is when I send in email, but I hope it's okay.

the mouth part is alittle worse once it got attached, as i suspected. if this is too hard to work with u can email me because it does come out better there;
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (29.3 KB, 100 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-05-2005, 08:38 PM

Jammar, your attachment is very low resolution. Can you post something larger? Usually something close to 800x600 pixels is fine, as long as it's under 100KB.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-06-2005, 03:05 PM

im really sorry but thats the biggest it gets, if u want, u can email me for a slightly better quality, but its not any bigger =[ I know its very low resolution so if anyone can even change a background to make it look more dramatic, that would be great
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-06-2005, 05:35 PM

hi jammar,

i played with this a bit yesterday. the others are right; it's too small for the most part. makes it harder to work on....but not impossible. but, your work is cut out for you.

this needs several major steps to fix. the background needs to either be changed or blurred out pretty severely. a mask and a guasian blur shld do the trick.

the lighting is poor. her face is way too dark. you could use several things here, and adjustment layer of contrast/light, adj layer of levels, adjustment layer of curves. i'd suggest masking her, all of her, and trying the first.

also, i'd enlarge the image by at least 4x. almost all paint programs will have a resize tool. resize by 400%. this will make the next steps easier. you might also want to enlarge the resolution while you're at it.

now the hard part... the face is such a low resolution that any change to a small area has a much larger proportional effect. this is why you enlarge the picture. like you noticed the jaw and lip area are kind of messed up. i'd suggest either a heal or clone brush.

the face, at least partially because of the darkness is wrong color-wise. even when you bring up the light, the colors are still going to be wrong. make a new raster layer and using flesh tones, air brush in some better colors ON the blank raster layer. the blank layer shld be 'over' the other filled raster or background layers. this allows the paint on the blank raster layer to overlay onto the other one beneath. thus, you're effectively painting on your image without actually painting on it. pick different flesh tones and color them in as appropriate to what the person shld look like. use a fairly low opacity and just add it in little by little.

when you get it to where it looks pretty good, you might try a gausian blur on the blank raster layer to even it up a bit. you could also do some highlighting with a lightness/darkness brush to give some shading and highlights to the face. just pay attention to where the light source is in the image.

when you've got it looking even better, try some blending modes to the layer itself. often 'luminance' or 'screen' or 'dodge' will work, depending on what the image needs. just try em all and see what they do and what the image looks like.

small images can be much trickier to work on. if possible i'd see if i could get a larger scan of the thing and then work with that.

keep us posted on how it goes.

Craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-08-2005, 02:29 PM

thanks for the advice, but the thing is, i dont have photoshop so i hoping if i can find some1 who can
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-08-2005, 02:34 PM

ah, i see. well, you could get yourself a copy of 'The Gimp'. it's completely free and has a lot of features for doing stuff like you want. the address is something like thegimp.com or thegimp.org. i forget, but google can find it pretty easily. and, it's fun

Craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-08-2005, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammar190
thanks for the advice, but the thing is, i dont have photoshop so i hoping if i can find some1 who can
jammar190, do you have any graphics programmes? If so, you might want to search the web for tutorials for those programmes.

If you don't have any editing software, I know some of the people here offer their editing services for a fee if you want to approach them on it.

Check for a link at the bottom of their posts to see if they offer such services.

Good luck!
Maureen
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-08-2005, 06:23 PM

i have paint shop pro (8 i think) by jasc software
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help