RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Faded Colours: Skin tone

Old 10-07-2005, 02:33 AM

Faded Colours: Skin tone

I recently restored faded photos of 2 brothers. The one (of the boy in the blue sweater) turned out quite well, but the other (the green sweater) is "flat" on the skin tone. Try as I may, I have had no success in completing the customers request to "make his skin tone the same as his brothers". If anyone could offer any assistance, I would be most appreciative. I'm simply at a loss. "How can it be that difficult" she said..." just do the same thing you did on the first one". I tried. It just didn't work. She (and I) am happy with everything about both photos except the facial tonality of the one (with the green sweater). Help... puh..lease!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg before-after.jpg (12.6 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg steve2.jpg (6.0 KB, 74 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-07-2005, 05:32 AM
Patron

Cool Using Match Color

I matched the color of the two brothers by using photoshop's adjustments "match Color" command. I opened both files: before-after and steve2. I selected the skin of both faces and copied them to another layer and selected the copied layer in both photos. With before and after selected, I used the match color command. I selected the source as steve2/layer 1 and the target as before and after layer 1.

That is one way of making a color match between two photos
Attached Images
File Type: jpg brother.jpg (12.5 KB, 56 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-07-2005, 06:34 AM

I could be way off base, but it appears that you've done some colorizing using soft light on the lighter image. Using a light flesh tone over the face has lightened all of the shadows and you've lost definition.
I would suggest doing a levels or curves adjustment to the original, flatten, and put that image over your colored version-setting the layer opacity to luminosity.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-07-2005, 09:01 AM

As the first photo is fairly flat anyway, I painted onto blank layers (especially the face) and set the blending to colour mode so as to not affect subtle tonal changes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg before-after copy.jpg (65.8 KB, 41 views)

Last edited by Cassidy; 10-07-2005 at 10:17 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-07-2005, 09:30 AM

to: Vikki

Hi Vikki,
I just finished looking at your gallery. I'm speechless! Lovely work! My method for bringing some color back to the photo was simply to add a levels adjustment layer. That brought back the sweater and the background. I had to do a little extra work on the white shirt underneath to bring back some of the contrast and I think that is what the face is lacking.... contrast. But merely adding contrast to that part of the picture (for whatever reason), isn't cutting the mustard. (Can one really cut mustard?)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-07-2005, 01:22 PM

what you've got is a good old pasty face. little to no shadows, little to no texture and almost a total mono-tone. the original is part of the problem. it appears to be almost a pasty face also.

philbach added some color, but didnt fix the mono-tone. cassidy's got the right idea. you can add some more variety of colors by making a new raster layer and painting in new colors with an airbrush. add this in with a low opacity and medium density or so. build it up gradually and change colors often depending on where in the face you're adding. this makes erasing and changing and blurring very easy. and on this layer you might also want add a blending mode. i'd also mask the face on this layer and add some light noise and blur it. very small amounts will go a long ways, so set it low, like 5 or so.

Craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-07-2005, 09:20 PM

I worked on luminosity and color separately.

For luminosity, I started with the original image in luminosity mode. I increased contrast as much as I could. I also dodged and burned some areas.

For color, I started with your colorization. I removed the green cast and increased reds ans saturation.

I lightened the background to make the skin less pasty in comparison.

Concerning the blue sweater brother, the nose deformation is either not there or deemphasized in the original. The client passed it so it must be there after all. I would suggest that you follow the lead of the original and make it less obvious.

Pierre
Attached Images
File Type: jpg before-after-panpan1.jpg (14.9 KB, 40 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-08-2005, 02:40 PM

nice job, pierre!

Craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-08-2005, 07:36 PM

Question...

Hi Pierre.
Thank you so much for spending time on my little problem. Could I corner you for a little clarification?
I went back to the original and changed the layer blending mode to Luminosity and I increased the contrast per your suggestion. However, in your response, you said that you started with my "colorization". I didn't colorize the image, but used a Levels Adjustment Layer. How did you remove the green cast and increase the reds? Was it with a levels adjustment layer? Also, on the blue sweater brother... what nose deformation?
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-08-2005, 08:04 PM

Hi Kraellin. Could I bother you for a little clarification? You mentioned "medium density". Vas ees dees, medium density? And how do you build it up? You also mentioned "changing colors often". The problem is that I don't know what colors to add or change. I truly do wish that I were more adept at Photoshop, but the only way to learn, at least for me is with the "hands on" approach. Please advise.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help