Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Faded Colours: Advice Please

Old 10-12-2005, 09:21 PM
Faded Colours: Advice Please

Hello again all you dear members,

I've been working on this for a bit now, and am at the point where I could use some help. What improvements can you offer? Tips, hints, all are welcome.

You can see the obvious problem at the bottom of the photo. Short of a crop, I'm stuck. And there are a few annoying areas and bits that some of you are much better at. So advise away!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg File0001-copy.jpg (90.2 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg File0002-copy.jpg (95.8 KB, 64 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-13-2005, 06:43 AM
You've done a really nice job of bringing up the detail from the original. Also some nice masking to apply the color.

The only "problem", if there is one (and here, I'm assuming that you applied tints in color mode to the original B/W image), is that skin tones not only vary in value, they also vary in hue from highlights to shadows. Clothes usually don't present much of a problem; hair, too, varies its hues over the lightness spectrum, though it's not as much of an issue as skin..

The only tool I've found that gives you any chance of realistically capturing this effect is the gradient map. You already have the skin areas masked out; you might try an experiment to see if you can achieve a more believable tone. The kids are all going to have similar skin color—find a good face image, nicely lit, with a full range of tones, and sample colors from all points in the range. Usually six or seven points will do the trick. Then, transfer those colors into the gradient in a gradient map layer. Push the sliders around to maximize the color/value match. Given the colorized look of the image overall, you'll probably want to desaturate the tones a bit, but I think you'll be pleased with the final result.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-13-2005, 07:40 AM

Well you are off to a good start. There are some defects in the background that you can "heal Out." The girl on the left side seems to have the colorized skin on the white of her eyes and her teeth. You can aggressively crop the photo. And then increase the canvas size about .25 inches to make is appear as the edge of the photo.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Edges2.jpg (45.7 KB, 30 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-13-2005, 07:54 AM
like you said, you have several problems here. but they are not insurmountable.

btw, i like how you colorized this. nice job

i didnt do everything here, just the major points. the shadow around the border seems to be from being in a frame. the photo part that is exposed to light fades, while the part hidden under the frame doesnt as much. for this, i only did the middle baby's left leg and simply used clone to pull color/texture from the above part of the leg to remove the shadowing effect. you could also use a lighten/darken tool to do this, perhaps. or, you might even mask the area and use a lighten/contrast on it. i just used clone. it's a small area.

the scan seems to have picked up a bit of the paper texture; those lines all over that just dont quite belong there. for this i used psp 10's digital camera noise removal tool. you could quite probably also use something like neat image. it didnt seem so bad as to need FFT, so i just stayed with digi noise removal. this also corrected the graininess in the kid's faces.

but, that still left a bit of those odd jpeg artifacts or scan noise. so i ran jpg artifact on this also.

for each of those above steps i duped the previous layer first.

there are still a few points to work on here, the rest of the shadow/fading, a few dust specs/spots, and some minor artifacting, but i think it's getting there pretty well.

it's a lovely photo and you've brought it back a long ways, so i hope this helps you finish the job.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg File0002-copy-1-k-1.jpg (97.3 KB, 31 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-13-2005, 08:48 AM
dcarr, as per craig, I'd recommend using the clone tool for the edges, and other than that, I'd maybe suggest that a little dropping of the saturation would make it all look quite a bit more natural. I'd adjust the eyes, lips and teeth, but not too much, more for blending rather than stand out features. Quickie of your fixed image, I found that adjusting the hue was necessary also, ever so slightly
Attached Images
File Type: jpg File0002-copy copy.jpg (92.3 KB, 26 views)

Last edited by Cassidy; 10-13-2005 at 08:55 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-13-2005, 09:52 AM
Debbie woah that kid in the middle is the double of my little nephew Cameron, there should be a challenge thread that Danny added of my nephew, and that picture and him have the same face! now that was spooky seeing that!
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-13-2005, 10:06 AM
I'll try out some of these suggestions thanks. And I didn't colorize, just brought out what was actually still there, working in cmyk and lab. It was a very old color wall portrait that's been hanging in the sunlight for years. Just used some wash on hair and such...I'd rather avoid the crop if possible, but will save it as a last resort.

He is a cutey! Today he is near 40 and slightly balding LOLOL...but still cute . Don't tell your nephew LOLOL

Last edited by dcarr; 10-13-2005 at 10:13 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-13-2005, 03:09 PM
Hi there. I just did a few things to the picture you provided, but very quick things because I need to go make dinner LOL. You know how it is when you have to tear yourself away from the computer right??? heh heh...

This is what I noticed and I hope it helps some. On my screen, there was too much of a red hue on the children, especially their faces, so I adjusted the hue/saturation, each child differenly, just to see the difference. Then I quickly softened some of the edges and did a despeckle.

Maybe I can play with it more after dinner. I noticed some of the redish tint carried over into the whites of the eyes and some of the masking needed some smoothing.

I really think you did a great job , these are just some of the things that popped out at me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg File0002-copy1.jpg (97.6 KB, 21 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help