RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Silvering: Suggestions for photo of my grandfather?

Old 10-22-2005, 11:05 PM

cynthia,

how rude of me... welcome to RP!

yes, psp 7 doesnt have the digi noise remove. i used to use neat image in its stead. i use psp 10 now.

yup. if reshooting it works, go for it and keep us informed.

Craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-22-2005, 11:43 PM

Cynthia,

You are welcome. I have 30 years experience copying photos - it really works. If you need help working out the lighting I will be glad to help. It has been on my to-do for a year now to do a tutorial on copying for RetouchPro - maybe this will see it to completion ...

I tracked down this old thread where I posted some copying tests that will interest you;

http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/input-output-workflow/4941-bw-copy-neg-vs-scanning-test.html

Roger
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-22-2005, 11:58 PM

roger_ele - I have to come back in a minute to read your link because I have to first post my current result.

Here's what I did. I went over to Photoshop to work on it using some of the tips I found under Challenges and then I went off on my own. I'm so excited because I could never tell what was going on with his clothes - it was confusing because I was seeing two different types of collars. Now I can see that he has a jacket just hanging over his shoulder on one side.

I'm not a Photoshop expert by any means and have minimal experience working with channels. But, the one tip that did the most was converting to CYMk, discarding the worst channel. I then converted to grayscale - then did calculations / multiply (whatever that is) - converted back to CYMK so I could add back in the sepia tone and then finally converted to RGB. It certainly is an improvement.

Kraellin - Thank you for the welcome! Yes, I'm a newbie here - very first post.

I've been working on genealogy and a family book and this photo sent by my 90 year old uncle was the biggest thrill so far.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg grayscale sepia.jpg (86.7 KB, 69 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-23-2005, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger_ele
Cynthia,

You are welcome. I have 30 years experience copying photos - it really works. If you need help working out the lighting I will be glad to help. I tracked down this old thread where I posted some copying tests that will interest you;

http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/input-output-workflow/4941-bw-copy-neg-vs-scanning-test.html
Thanks Roger. That is very interesting. I used to manage an artist and sometimes had to do copy negs and was aware of the drawbacks of them - I would have never considered that in some cases the increased contrast could actually be a plus.

The problem with me photographing the photo is I don't think there's anywhere in my house where I could get enough light on the photo without the light being behind the camera. Is it possible I could set this up outside in the shade? My camera is a Canon S330 digital if that means anything to you.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-23-2005, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraellin
cynthia,

how rude of me... welcome to RP!

yes, psp 7 doesnt have the digi noise remove. i used to use neat image in its stead. i use psp 10 now.

yup. if reshooting it works, go for it and keep us informed.

Craig
I will keep you informed.

I used to always keep up with the PSP upgrades, but when Jasc was acquired by Corel, I stopped getting upgrade notices in the mail until very recently and didn't even realize how far behind I was. And now I've put it off because I do web design professionally and wasn't at a point where I could afford much of learning curve if there is one. Can you tell me anything about the differences between 7 and 10 and is 10 the same thing as PSP X?
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-23-2005, 02:05 AM

I think this is the best one yet. I rescanned in Photoshop instead of PSP. Has anyone ever noticed that Photoshop scans seem to be a little better. After I converted to grayscale like before, discarding all except the cyan channel, and converting to RGB - I then saved it and went back to PSP for the remainder of the changes. I skipped the calculations step - for one reason it was grayed out for some reason. Then in PSP, my steps consisted of increasing colors to 16 million, adjusting color, some cloning and slightly darkening the folds in the curtains (might work on those a bit since they look a little fake).

The only thing that's really different is that I scanned through Photoshop instead of PSP and I skipped the calculations step in Photoshop. Does that make any sense?

I'm really blown away with the changes - never thought I'd be able to get it this good.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg newer-reduced2.jpg (70.4 KB, 48 views)

Last edited by cdaniel; 10-23-2005 at 02:12 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-23-2005, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdaniel
The problem with me photographing the photo is I don't think there's anywhere in my house where I could get enough light on the photo without the light being behind the camera. Is it possible I could set this up outside in the shade? My camera is a Canon S330 digital if that means anything to you.
Cynthia,

I am not familiar with the Canon but here are a couple of thoughts;

-The only problem with low light is some cameras get a noisy/grainy image so try it anyway. The shutter speed could end up at one or two seconds, but with the camera planted on a table with the shutter pressed/squeezed carefully you should be fine. If you want more window light open a door ...

-Also try outside in the shade, under a porche overhange, near a wall that is lit by the sun, etc. Just hold a large black card behind the camera so that no light comes from the camera direction or position yourself so that it is dark behind you. Think of it this way - because silvering does not reflect the light smoothly like a mirror it can catch light from a wide angle, to be safe I would suggest blocking all light from the camera all the way to a 45 degree angle .. the camera is at 90 degrees to the original ... so half way from the camera to the plane of the original being copied. Each spot can be a quick test - you can even hand hold a bunch of spots, then came back with a tripod for the spot that works This really can be easy and fun.

What distance is the Canon at when focused at the distance for this photo? If it around chair hieght take two chairs, position them next too each other with the camera stradling the chairs looking down. Put a dark cloth over the top to block the crack between the chairs and set the original on the ground or on a board resting on the chair braces. You can move this chair set up anywhere.

Try it all and quickly - don't make rocket science out of it. If you do alot of spots you will get a better feeling for the lighting needed.

Roger
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-23-2005, 01:37 PM

Ok, thanks. It's cloudy today - I'm in Florida. So, guess I'll have to wait until a better day.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-23-2005, 06:39 PM

If you kept it dry you could probably even do it on a rainy day ...
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-23-2005, 06:41 PM

By the way, great job on the restoration!
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help