RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Faded Image: Can it be improved?

Old 11-02-2005, 05:54 PM

ok..made the adjustment level, see the mask icon now what??
Need help with the mask part please...
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-02-2005, 07:35 PM

Not good at this but i do try LOL!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 123.jpg (49.8 KB, 26 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-02-2005, 10:38 PM

Hi Neb,
If you look at my little diagram you can see that after you have done an initial levels adjustment you will need to bring up the darkness values on the right so you need a gradient mask. First select the gradient tool under the paint bucket. Next select the quick mask button at the bottom of the tools. Then drag a line from the top right area down toward the bottom left. You'll have to experiment a bit to get the correct area selected. Next, turn the mask off then depending on which side of the screen is selected; you can now adjust your levels in the faded area.

You could also just paint the mask over the areas that are faded and do the same selection process without the gradient mask.

I hope this makes sense.

Ants
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gradmask001.jpg (33.9 KB, 17 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-02-2005, 10:51 PM

I had a crack at this as well seeing I was half way there. I also added a gradient sky. If you find that after you adjust your levels, part of the picture is too dark, use your dodge tool with a reduced opacity to lighten the over dark area. I didn't bother with the crease, as that's basic clone stamping.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg JetJackson.jpg (22.2 KB, 19 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-02-2005, 11:31 PM

Here is my try but it is not right I know. see if you can see what I might have done wrong. Thanks Neb
Attached Images
File Type: jpg `94-Q-Web-2 copytry2.jpg (39.0 KB, 17 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-02-2005, 11:37 PM

Well, it doesn't look to bad, but the image is so small it's hard to see detail. How did you go with the gradient mask?
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-03-2005, 03:14 AM

Hi Neb, sorry I'm a bit late coming back with this one.

OK, when you've opened a new adjustment layer, you get the usual dialogue, then make your adjustments, and click OK.

Now, click on your layers tab to display the layers palette (see attached screenshot). Click on the mask (to the right of the levels symbol), this activates the mask.

Now go to your tools palette and Alt+Click on the Paint Bucket to select the Graduation tool. Make sure you've selected the Linear Gradient from the symbols on the bar at the top. Make sure your Foreground/Background colours are Black/White.

The Graduation Tool will give you a cross cursor on screen. Click this on RHS of image, now hold down LH mouse button and draw across to the RHS of screen and release.

You will now have created a graduated mask (You won't see it on screen). You will notice that the tone has either evened out, or got more unbalanced from L to R. If the latter, the mask is the wrong way round, to cure this, click and drag from L to R instead of from R to L.

If you want to see the mask on screen, Alt+click on the Mask in your layers palette. To change back to seeing your image, do the same again.

Hope this is clear, anything you don't understand just ask.

Gary
Attached Images
File Type: jpg layers.jpg (69.6 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg Screen.jpg (97.0 KB, 17 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-04-2005, 01:24 PM

not that good dead..not surprising though.
Gary, will give this a try later tonight , I have company coming for dinner so am busy, you both have been so kind to respond!! I will get this by golly!! Neb
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-04-2005, 02:01 PM

Hi Gary and Deadants:
YES !! I got it. I just saw that there is a difference in an adjustment and then a layers adjustment. Let me see if I now understand this right ok?

When you do a new adjustment layer the mask comes with it..is this right?

Now, next thing. I am having a hard time getting the right levels adjustment. Either get rhs too dark , or still too light. Can you gove some input into the levels box. There are three I'll call them arrows pointing up, I see each changes one of the boxes by the Input Levels. can you direct me to a tutorial about what each one controls or can you just explain please? This has been one of the best learning experiences I have had here, Thanks Gary, Dead and Nancy Neb
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-04-2005, 03:14 PM

Hi Neb,

When you open the Levels dialogue box, you get the histogram diagram.

By default, this consists of a graph showing the brightness levels of the combined R,G,B channel.

Underneath it is 3 arrows. The LH arrow adjusts the Black point, moving it to the R will darken the darker tones in your image. The RH arrow adjusts the White point, moving it to the left will lighten the highlights on your image. The centre arrow adjusts the mid tones on your image, move it to the left to lighten, to the right to darken.

Just to complicate things a little, underneath there is another bar with arrows. This is the output bar. Generally you don't need to use this, but it does have one use.

If you have an image with blown out whites, if you take the RH arrow, and move it to the centre, the blown out (Highlight) tones will darken.

To condense things a little.

To increase contrast, move the outer arrows on the histogram towards the centre. To decrease contrast, move the arrows on the output bar towards the centre.

The centre arrow sets the general tone of the image.

Hope that explains things a little.

Oh, just in case you feel comfortable with that, note that the RGB box has a drop down, that allows you to do adjustments on a channel by channel basis, ie for the Green, the Blue, or the Red channel. This allows you to do all sorts of things, but best not to throw all of that at you now. Just concentrate on getting the basics under your belt.

As usual, any questions just ask.

Gary
Attached Images
File Type: jpg levels.jpg (59.6 KB, 11 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help