RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

photo emulsion cracks retouching technique

Old 11-03-2005, 10:29 AM

photo emulsion cracks retouching technique

Hello,

It is amazing which photographs you, folks, manage to bring back into life!
Could you maybe suggest a solution of my problem?!
My father has a collection of old (ca. 1981) slides, which I would like to scan and preserve for the future generations. The film used is the German Orwochrome and some slides are in a quite poor state now. Take a look. It is not dust, it looks like cracks or hogging of photo emulsion. It covers the whole slide but better visible in dark areas.

Could you suggest a technique (maybe semi-automatic?) how to retouche such defects? I suspect it could be possible to create a mask, covering these nasty flaws. Could the filters like "Find Edges" of High Pass help???

Many thanks in advance for your efforts,
--Eugene
Attached Images
File Type: jpg damage_sample.jpg (79.9 KB, 82 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-03-2005, 01:20 PM

In Photoshop CS2, I used the dust&scratches filter at radius 3, threshold 5. I then reduced the contrast in the darker areas and sharpened.

That's as (semi) automatic as I could make it. There is still local work to be done, like restoring the eye catchlights.

Pierre
Attached Images
File Type: jpg damage_sample-panpan1.jpg (98.2 KB, 43 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-03-2005, 03:02 PM

juhanson,

welcome to RP!

what an odd bit of damage or artifacting. not sure what caused it.

it's an interesting study in fixing, however. you can take several different routes on this. one route is the semi-automatic with such programs and tools like Neat Image, Polaroid dust and scratch remover, photoshop or paint shop pro's dust and scratch tools... or, you can take the longer route of clone and clone type tools. both have pluses and minuses.

the advantage of the dust and scratch removing tools is speed. they do the bulk work for you. but they often have the drawback of doing too much and end up blurring the image to some degree.

the clone tools are slower; it's more manual and less automatic. the advantage is quality. you're only working on small areas at a time and not affecting the entire image at once.

so, the trick is, what do you want? do you want speed or do you want quality? and, can you get both?

my guess on this image is that you could get some of each. i would not go the full semi-automatic way on this one. you're having to compromise too much quality to get rid of the damage. so, if you ran something like Neat Image, you might set it to only remove a portion of the worst damage with the idea of going in manually to fix the rest. this would have the advantage also of cleaning up the noise in the boy's face in Neat Image while not blurring out all the texture in the rest of the image. you'd then just clone out whatever other major objects of damage still remained and then touch up the rest of the image with whatever might still be called for.

i'm enclosing 3 attachments. the first was done with psp's digital camera noise removal tool. it took a while to find the optimal settings on this one. it was a tricky picture. i then ran a high pass sharpen on it afterwards.

on the 2nd one i ran the same things but i also ran the original in Neat Image and then overlayed it on the digi noise removal image and blended with luminance.

and on the 3rd one all i did was clone in the hair and around the head a bit. i didnt do all of it. i just wanted you to see enough to know what i meant.

so, hopefully there's some routes for you to do some good.

Craig
Attached Images
File Type: jpg digi-noise-remove-sharp-1-k-1.jpg (87.1 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg withNI-1-k-1.jpg (90.2 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg just-clone-1-k-1.jpg (91.2 KB, 39 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-04-2005, 03:19 AM

Hi juhanson,

Went for a semi-auto attack on this one.

First made a duplicate layer, and applied Polaroid Dust and Scratches filter, set to remove light coloured blemishes. Then masked to uncover areas where detail was lost (like catchlights to boys eye).

Duplicated this layer, and discarded the layer mask. Now applied Polaroid D&S, this time set to remove dark blemishes. Applied hide all mask to layer, by Alt+Clicking the mask symbol at bottom of layers palette. Now I painted over the blemishes I wanted to hide with a soft white brush.

Not perfect by any means, but reduces the damage quite a bit.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg damage_sample copy.jpg (85.1 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg Layers.jpg (16.9 KB, 9 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-04-2005, 04:18 AM

Hi Juhanson,

I had a very similar kind of damage on some slides I had - we finally decided it was a processing problem:

This thread could be of some help:
http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/image-help/10470-another-strange-texture-what.html
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-04-2005, 08:05 AM

i'll tell ya, learn something new every day gary, i never knew polaroid d&s could be used as a plugin. i was using it as a stand-alone all this time. so, i went and did a google search and found a site where the guy said all you have to do to use it as a plugin is to move the .8bf file into your plugin folder. so, i did and it works!

so, thank you!

nice job, btw

Craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-04-2005, 08:57 AM

borrowing on gary's helps, flora's and caitlin's suggestion to read that other thread, and now having the polaroid d&s as a plugin, i tried this again.

i first duplicated the layer.

ran an edit selection and used the airbrush to mask the bad areas selectively. normally i would run a larger mask but i didnt want to blur the whole thing and i wanted feathered masking on the areas in question.

then i ran polaroid d&s on the masked layer. i ran it once on white and once on black, both on the same layer.

duplicated the previous layer.

ran psp's digital camera noise removal on the masked bits just like with the polaroid d&s. (remember, a mask is not necessarily specific to a given layer. so, when i made a new layer and selected it, the same mask is now applied to the new layer).

merge all and save.

Craig
Attached Images
File Type: jpg damage_sample-2-k-1.jpg (95.9 KB, 24 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-04-2005, 11:18 AM

Hi Craig,

Glad I could help. You'll find some of the functions of the stand alone are not available in the plug in, but it's much more convenient to use.

Really like your latest effort.

Gary
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-04-2005, 01:16 PM

gary,

yes, i saw that. that little toolbar isnt in the plugin, but since you can use the main program for all that, i dont miss it at all. and yes, much more convenient.

and thank you.

i think a global neat image or digi noise reduction would be the thing now. it would remove some of the grain in the boy's face and some of that background noise. and then, mix that with the polaroid layer with a blending mode and i think you've have a pretty good image. maybe a sharpen in there also.

Craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-04-2005, 03:22 PM

Sounds good to me. Obviously we're not dealing with a photo in peak condition here, so final result is always going to be limited, but what you suggest seems like it will give about as good a result as you can reasonably expect.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help