RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

where to start :(

Old 11-17-2005, 06:28 PM

Hello, ok i tried the 4 scan trick but it seems to have more cracks than when i did it with 2 scans, tried different placement for each layer but still no better.

All have done with this scan crop and put each scan into own layer in one image convert to greyscale.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mick-0012-edited-B.jpg (78.7 KB, 33 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-17-2005, 06:36 PM

Can you post the individual images?
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-17-2005, 07:53 PM

Ok I had to work on this a little more tonight. I used the heal brush along with hand painting and smudging. I did a slight guassian blur mask as well. Not quite finished but getting there I think. I know you didn't ask me to "do" it but I've enjoyed working on it so I hope you don't mind.

Last edited by twinkissed; 11-18-2005 at 08:01 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-18-2005, 03:52 AM

No i don't mind as it give me ideas, plus if you really wanted to work on i could give you access to original scanned images.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-18-2005, 04:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikki
Can you post the individual images?

Hello, ok here are the latest scanned images in compressed tiff and jpg format, but instead of attaching them you can find original scanned images in link below.

These are as scanned but i did play with RGB levels when doing scan, not sure if this was good idea will try at default later.

What i want to do is get best base image to start with before trying out restoration techniques outline in this thread.

The tiffs are about 15mb each jpg 1mb but have also created a zip files of them, if these are too big let me know.

Large scanned images

Note the black mark on image is not beauty mark pr mole
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-18-2005, 04:49 AM

looking at the original and the scanned image and work others have done the nose has more detail on one side than the other, would it be a good idea to sample good side and then use this via flipping to recreate other side of nose?
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-18-2005, 10:09 AM

Hello, i downloaded the linux version of Vuescan to try scans again, it has more options and one which may help is when scanning as black&white is which colour to use as grey, as blue channel seems to have most detail i choose blue.

Trouble is my scanner is attached to a box which is running cutting edge linux compiler and filesystem (reiser4) which is causing problems with vuescan so can't actually get any scans yet
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-18-2005, 10:15 AM

It looks like you're having a hard time getting to two images aligned (I see some ghosting). I'd recommend adding some sharp fiducial marks to the scan. Ie., securely attach the photo to some backing (white piece of paper), then put four dots (one near each corner of the photo) on the backing which will show up in the scan. Then you can align the dots when you combine the scans--you can even temporarily use a "difference" blend mode to help with the alignment.

Bart
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-19-2005, 09:28 AM

Back again ok scanned image again 4x90 degrees, this time with vuescan which allow me more options, one of which was 3 passes.

The colour of scan is now more like the original photo and lot less yellow then xsane scan.

I took advice on alinement so there should be no more ghosting, the resulting merged image looks better but lighter, when i try playing with levels i can get more detail (darker) but cracks show up more, had slight improvement by using Gimp plugin 'sharpen (seperate lights and shadows)'

Question, how best to get more detail with out darkening cracks? or should i try touching up cracks with clone tool and then playing with levels?

many thanks

I have attached first untouched scan, second ismerged with above filter.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg scan1-untouched.jpg (84.7 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg 4scans-flat-filter.jpg (92.9 KB, 34 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-22-2005, 09:18 AM

carpman,

there comes a point where you can only do so much with a certain tool or a certain process. i think you've hit that point with the scanning techniques. in fact, i think you hit it earlier than your last attempt. you're not going to completely fix this image with just scanning tricks. the point of the scanning is to get the best image possible so that you can begin to actually fix the image. you've gotten some excellent help on this and i applaud those that got you here. now, it's time to move on and actually fix the image.

i'd start with one of those you have on your links page, the ftp page. i think it was 0012a.tiff that i loaded up. it looks like it would be a workable image. it's very sepia colored. i used the Fast Fix plugin to desaturate it quite a bit first. after this, it's clone time. time to remove the scratches and tear marks.... and you've got a lot of them. there's just no other way around it, so, roll up your sleeves, get out your clone tool and eraser and start

i actually started on the background with the eraser. there's nothing in the BG worth saving so i just erased it. we can put something back later.

after that, it's clone time. start on something easy. if you're not familiar with the clone tool, then practice on a duplicate image. try different settings and approaches till you're comfortable with the process. cloning is an art. it can take some time to perfect, but you can do incredible things with it.

the Gimp's clone is not the best, but it does work. practice, practice, practice!

i'm following this thread and working on your image also, so i'll jump in from time to time and we can compare results

good luck!

Craig
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help