RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

where to start :(

Old 11-12-2005, 01:58 PM

where to start :(

Hello, ok i have got a picture of a mate when he was young, thing is it is the only picture and i mean only picture of him when he was young.

I have done a few picture restorations but nothing on this level, he really wants to get it looking better so he can give it to his kids at xmas.

So where do i start?

I have a snapscan 1236s for scanning and can do upto 600dpi, i use gentoo linux so will be using Gimp.

I currently have it in a weighted book to try and flatten some of the creases.

Any ideas on how to get as much detail out of image so i have somewhere to start?

cheers
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mick0001.jpg (95.9 KB, 162 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-12-2005, 02:02 PM

Scan the image again, only this time, flip it 180 degrees. Then put each image on it's own layer (within the same file). By playing around with the layer blends, you should see quite a few of the creases are diminished. Once you have the best you think you can get, flatten, and start working from there. I suggest looking at each color channel, to see which one has the most detail/information.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-12-2005, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikki
Scan the image again, only this time, flip it 180 degrees. Then put each image on it's own layer (within the same file). By playing around with the layer blends, you should see quite a few of the creases are diminished. Once you have the best you think you can get, flatten, and start working from there. I suggest looking at each color channel, to see which one has the most detail/information.
Hello, so what you are saying is scan it twice the second being a flip of 180 degrees?

I take it you then mean import both scanned images in same gimp file and align them then play with layer blends?

some impressive work you have done on restorations, if i can anywhere near that i would be happy
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-12-2005, 03:34 PM

OK...My TurnViki:
How can you tell which channel has the most detail? I am just learning about channels. What do I look for and how do I look for it??
When I look at them all I see is the graphic under a color of reg,green blue.. Thanks Neb
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-12-2005, 06:08 PM

Hi Neb,
If you look at each colour channel in turn, you will notice that the green channel on this photo seems to show the best detail etc. If you use photoshop, just click the eye symbol next to the colour channel to see just that channel. I've attached small copies of each channel from this photo as an example.
Hope that helps
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-12-2005, 07:31 PM

Hi Carp
Welcome to Retouch Pro

Vikki’s Post is a great start. I have a piece of glass to cover the picture on my scanner. I start the scan then rush to my scanner and press down very hard on the glass.
You could even try doing 4 scans at 90 degrees to each other. Usually setting the blending mode to the top 3 scans to lighten helps (but you can try other modes)

This should reduce the dark areas around the cracks a lot and make the restore a lot easier.

You should be able to remove all the black lines in my picture with re-scanning

Ken.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ken_mick0001.jpg (87.7 KB, 64 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-15-2005, 10:23 AM

Thanks for replies, will try scanner tricks.

A question though, what do you once you have found channel with most detail?

If can increase my knowedge i may have to go back to the couple of image si have restored and see if i can improve them
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-15-2005, 11:04 AM

Hope this is a little better

Well, I saw in another thread for another problem to first change it to CMYK and I like doing that. I can usually find a decent channel to keep that way. So I kept the magenta channel, changed it to greyscale and then adjusted the curves. Then I worked a lot with the poloroid scratch and dust filter in little sections. I notice a dot which could be on the picture but looked like a beauty mark and I like to try and keep as many features on a person as possible. I did a really fast job on this (only about 25 minutes) so it's just a start. My girls keep swinging on my arm like a jungle gym today so it's kind of hard to work and make outlines. I won't be working until naptime I see today Anyways, I hope this helps you atleast a little.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mick0001twinkissed.jpg (88.9 KB, 108 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-15-2005, 04:49 PM

Gimp has no cmyk support with a plugin and that not great.

I need to do some reading how to use channels.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-15-2005, 04:58 PM

Well done twinkissed that is awesome work!!!
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help