RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Help needed with 1974 wedding photo

Old 11-19-2005, 10:56 AM

To Gary

Gary,

I am trying to follow your methods to work on the wedding picture. I work with layers but still have problems. How do you set a layer to colour mode? I just added a layer, did a selection on some trees, picked a green color, set the opacity lower and painted - is that what you did? When you added a new layer to clone out the red spots, I'm unsure about layers. If you add an empty layer, how do you get to the picture? Do you merge visible? As you can tell, I am getting confused with using the layers. Any help would be appreciated.

Bernie
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-19-2005, 10:58 AM

To Gary

Gary,

I forgot to say in my last reply - thanks for taking the time to work on my picture.

Bernie
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-19-2005, 11:03 AM

To Flora

Flora,

Thank you for working on my picture. Everyone is so nice at this website!

I am trying to follow your methods, also. When I used Image->Adjustments->Shadow/Highlights and changed the values, nothing was happening, so I must be doing something wrong. I am not sure how to use these adjustments. I don't understand the next step - blank layer set to Color, Selective Colors. I do use Color Balance Adjustment Layers.

Thanks in advance for explaining more.

I love the way the white dress really became white in the picture.

Bernie
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-19-2005, 11:06 AM

To Dbuckle

Dbuckle,

The picture does look nice, just in black & white!

Bernie
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-19-2005, 02:03 PM

Ooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhh Yesssssssssss Flora is back Ladies & Gents!!!

Its so lovely to see you, its horrible moving, hope you had no mishaps...

Big E hugssssssssssssssss

Ella
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-19-2005, 03:13 PM

Hi Bernie,

OK, first of all any layer can be set to a number or different modes, if you click on your layer palette, then in the top left hand corner of the palette is a drop down menu (set by default to normal), click on the dropdown, and select color from the list.

What this does, is allows just the colour information in the layer to be altered, the luminosity information remains unaltered. In laymans terms, by selecting a colour and painting on an object, it colours it, but retains all the detail, ie the colour is transparent.

So I just sampled a colour from an untinted area, and painted over the areas with a magenta tinge. By adjusting the opacity of the layer (again in the layer palette. Top centre) you can affect how much of the colour overwrites that in the image below.

For cloning I always work on a new layer, as it is easier to correct any mistakes I might make (just erase them using the eraser tool).

OK, open a new layer (a blank one). Now select the clone tool, and make sure that "use all layers" is checked in the toolbar at the top of the screen. This will enable you to select items from the layer below, but the cloned items will be "copied" to the new layer. Now if you make mistakes, just erase them, as you are on a seperate layer, they will not effect the underlying image.

Hope this clarifies things, if anything needs further explanation, just ask.

Flora, welcome back. As usual a peerless rendition. We've all missed you.

Gary
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-19-2005, 03:41 PM

Hi Bernie,

OK, first of all any layer can be set to a number or different modes, if you click on your layer palette, then in the top left hand corner of the palette is a drop down menu (set by default to normal), click on the dropdown, and select color from the list.

What this does, is allows just the colour information in the layer to be altered, the luminosity information remains unaltered. In laymans terms, by selecting a colour and painting on an object, it colours it, but retains all the detail, ie the colour is transparent.

So I just sampled a colour from an untinted area, and painted over the areas with a magenta tinge. By adjusting the opacity of the layer (again in the layer palette. Top centre) you can affect how much of the colour overwrites that in the image below.

For cloning I always work on a new layer, as it is easier to correct any mistakes I might make (just erase them using the eraser tool).

OK, open a new layer (a blank one). Now select the clone tool, and make sure that "use all layers" is checked in the toolbar at the top of the screen. This will enable you to select items from the layer below, but the cloned items will be "copied" to the new layer. Now if you make mistakes, just erase them, as you are on a seperate layer, they will not effect the underlying image.

Hope this clarifies things, if anything needs further explanation, just ask.

Flora, welcome back. As usual a peerless rendition. We've all missed you.

Gary
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-19-2005, 10:30 PM

Thumbs down To Gary

Gary,

Thanks so much for your explanation!! I played with the modes before, but obviously did not understand them. When I tried cloning on a separate new layer before, nothing happened, so I must not have had the 'use all layers' checked. Everything makes so much more sense now.

Thanks again.

Bernie
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-20-2005, 02:37 AM

You're welcome. Good luck with your restore.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-20-2005, 05:28 AM

Hi Bernie

The gradual mask I used at the top left was to balance that area with the rest of the picture and helped to balance Joe’s face. (Gary mentioned that).
However as you are using CS2 then using the shadow/Highlight would be better (I’m using PS7). This would not only help with Joes face but will also help with the blown out areas in the dress and veil.

The only areas I painted were the sky, the lake, the flowers and the jacket. All the other colours came from the original.

I remember those ‘Teddy Boy’ jackets as being very brightly coloured (pistachio)
I’d be interested in the true colour

Hope this Helps.

Ken
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help