RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Help needed with 1974 wedding photo

Old 11-20-2005, 12:42 PM

Hi everybody,

Nebgranny, Ella, Gary,

thank you so much for your 'Welcome back'!!!

Bernie,

...sorry for not reacting earlier ... was busy during the week-end.... Here are some details:
  • To minimize the yellow cast, I first used Levels' (Adjustmen Layer) 'Set white and Grey Point' (Curves works exactly the same way). I set first the White Point in one of the brightest veil point, then the Grey Point in a shadow part under the bouquet. (Attachment 1)

• Merge Visible ....(here is how to do it without losing the underlying Layers)

• Duplicate the Merged Layer

• Working on the duplicated Merged Layer, to balance Shadow/Highlights, I opened the Image>Adjustment>Shadow/Highlight Menu and checked the 'Show more Options' box at the bottom of the menu dialog box. (Attachment 2)

• In the new window, I pulled the 'Shadow' sliders to the left (0) and tweaked the 'Highlight' sliders as in Attachment 3. This procedure darkened noticeably the lightest parts of the image bringing out details otherwise very faded. (Bernie, this should help you with your question about Shadow/Highlights)

• I added a Layer Mask (hide All = Black) to the Shadow/Highlights Layer, and, with a soft white brush (adjusting its Opacity), I painted over the Blown out parts of the picture.

If you are not yet familiar with Layer Masks, I wrote a Tutorial for beginners ... here .... and here you can read Vikki's excellent Tutorial about the usage of Layer Masks
  • Merge Visible

• Duplicate the Shadow/Highlights Layer

• Working on the duplicated Shadow/Highlights Layer, next was the Dust&Scratches part ... Values/Numbers in Attachment 4... Neb, you are absolutely right ...this Layer looks very strange so, I added a Layer Mask (hide All = Black) to the Dust & Scratches Layer, and, with a soft white brush (adjusting its Opacity), I painted over the spots to correct (Attachment 5). Neb, follow the links about Layer Masks if you have forgotten details about how to....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SNAP-0004.jpg (48.2 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg SNAP-0005.jpg (73.3 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg SNAP-0006.jpg (34.2 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg SNAP-0007.jpg (81.7 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg SNAP-0008.jpg (95.7 KB, 13 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-20-2005, 12:47 PM

Having reached the 5 Attachments limit in my previous post, I continue here...

Bernie,

concerning the 'blank' Layers and their different 'Modes' and the Selective Colors Adjustment Layer I mentioned in my restoration description, here is how to do it:

Blank Layer:
  • Click on the 'Create a New Layer' button at the bottom of your Layers' Palette (Attachment 1)

• Click on the arrow right of 'Normal' at the top left of your Layers' Palette to get to the 'Mode' Options drop down Menu and choose the Mode you wish. (Attachment 2)

Selective Colors:
  • See Attachment 3

Hope this helps...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SNAP-0009.jpg (88.3 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg SNAP-0010.jpg (96.2 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg SNAP-0011.jpg (97.4 KB, 12 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-20-2005, 11:08 PM

flora,

i understand how to create the blank layer and the mode, but i dont understand how you're using it? it would seem to have no effect since there is nothing IN the layer itself. i also dont know what selective colors does since i dont have that in psp 10 or the gimp. is the selective colors bleeding down through the blank layer and being altered by the blank layer and then affecting the layer below that or what?

and, excellent work!

Craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-21-2005, 09:13 AM

Flora,

Thanks so much for your detailed instructions. I will try them as soon as I get a chance.

I noticed that in your restoration, the bride dress is really white, the green bodice ribbon shows a lot of detail, and the daisy bouquet is sharper.

I appreciate all the effort that you have put into this!

Bernie
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-22-2005, 05:32 AM

Hi,

Ken,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameraken
...I remember those ‘Teddy Boy’ jackets as being very brightly coloured (pistachio)
I’d be interested in the true colour
I'm curious too about the true colour ... I just went for the 'traditional/conservative' choice ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraellin
flora,

i understand how to create the blank layer and the mode, but i dont understand how you're using it? it would seem to have no effect since there is nothing IN the layer itself.
Sorry Craig ... just like the 'road you know' and assume everybody else does too...
After creating Blank Layers and changing their Mode according to what I want to do, I just paint on them ....
Let's say I wish to lighten a certain spot ... well, then, working on the new blank Layer set to 'Lighten', using a very soft/fuzzy Brush (Opacity 10-30%) and after having sampled 'lighter shades of colour/grey just around the spot, I carefully paint over the spot until it has 'faded' naturally into the rest of the surrounding area ....

The big advantages to use 'blank' Layers is to have correction you can still change or remove completely without having always to start from scratch and it definitely doesn't increase your file size as a duplicate 'full' layer would.

I've been asked a lot about 'my methods' and, being me, I usually answer in details ... but, I've always done it on replies to individual posts making it difficult to find ... That's why I'm thinking about writing a 'mini' Tutorial on a 'cocktail' of my methods for restoring pictures ... I'll let you know.

Quote:
i also dont know what selective colors does since i dont have that in psp 10 or the gimp.
Selective Colors is definitely one of my ... if not my favourite Colour Adjustment Tool .... It's the first one I turn to when it comes to correct colours ... It is incredibly versatile and gives you a lot of control over the correction.

Quoting from PS Help File:
"Selective color correction is a technique used by high-end scanners and separation programs to change the amount of process colors in each of the primary color components in an image. You can modify the amount of a process color in any primary color selectively—without affecting the other primary colors. For example, you can use selective color correction to dramatically decrease the cyan in the green component of an image while leaving the cyan in the blue component unaltered."

Quote:
is the selective colors bleeding down through the blank layer and being altered by the blank layer and then affecting the layer below that or what?
Usually, each Layer in PS 'interacts' with the underlying Layers according to its Mode ... and this goes for Ajustment Layers as well ... meaning:

* if I first create a new Blank Layer to lighten or remove a spot (the only visible changes after this procedure will be only on the parts I painted since the rest of the Layer remains transparent 'blank'),

*then I open a Selective Colors AL (Mode = Normal) on top of it, every change I make on the Selective Colors AL will cover\influence everything else underneath ... Lightening 'blank' Layer included.

You can always increase\decrease the strenght of the correction or reduce the area affected by it with the help of the amazing Layer Masks ...

In other words ... a Layer's Position and Mode are crucial for its interaction with other Layers and, therefore, for the end result of any correction.

Hope this helps...

Quote:
and, excellent work!

Craig
Thanks Craig!!

Bernie,

thank you so much for your kindness .... and so glad you liked my restoration!

Last edited by Flora; 11-22-2005 at 06:03 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-22-2005, 08:41 AM

Color of the Jacket

Joe's Jacket was a light green, not really a pistachio. I'm attaching a color sample, which looks true on my monitor. I don't know how it will show up on others.

Thanks again, everyone.

Bernie
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-22-2005, 08:46 AM

Jacket Color

try again with the attachment
Attached Images
File Type: jpg JacketColor.jpg (22.2 KB, 4 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-23-2005, 01:23 PM

flora,

ok, i answered part of this in the other thread where you directed me back to this one. boy, this can get confusing, talking about the same pic in multiple threads.

so, ok, you're painting in the blank layer with the blend mode. good. we've done this before, so that, answers that.

selective colors is not channel mixer or 'red/green/blue' (a psp color tool). not quite sure what 'process colors' are, but i think i get the idea from the rest of the explanation. i suppose the closest thing in psp is 'channel mixer'.

and yes, i know what blend modes are and do; i just wasnt getting that you were painting in the blank layer. and ok re the selective color al blending down through the other layers.

thanks flora

Craig
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help