RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Abc...

Old 12-07-2005, 06:37 AM

BLIMEY Flora that is very impressive, i cannot understand why you do not charge, you got a hell of a talent lady!
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-07-2005, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legacy~Art
BLIMEY Flora that is very impressive, i cannot understand why you do not charge, you got a hell of a talent lady!

Ditto from me.

Just started readind your post about blank layers - great tips there.

Peter
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-07-2005, 03:19 PM

Restoration

Flora, do you have xray vision? Your example of restoration on this project was amazing!! Thank you also for sharing your expertise. steve
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-07-2005, 03:36 PM

Flora. Thank you so much for your steps.

Using the healing brush takes longer, but definitely gives better quality. I guess this attention to detail is exactly what separates the good and the best.

Unfortunately in PS7 there is no ‘Sample all layers’ on the healing tool. So I have had to work on a copy of the picture rather than a blank layer. Have you and tips for PS7 users? I would like to work on a blank layer if there is a way (Non destructive)

Also, I wondered why you kept the colour, Is there any advantage to keeping it.?
After I ran FFT I just worked from there (in black and white) and added the sepia back at the end.

Thanks again.

Ken
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-07-2005, 04:17 PM

ken,

i dont have PS, but this might work in ps7. it works in earlier versions of psp that dont have the 'all layers' feature. and if 'heal' is somewhat the same as 'clone/makeover' then this might work also in ps7. 'set' your clone/heal on the layer you wish to copy from and 'clone' on a different layer. this is sort of a manual version of 'all layers'. you can even do this from one completely different image to another. at least you can in psp.

Craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-07-2005, 08:27 PM

Thanks Craig.

The clone tool in PS7 Does have ‘Use all Layers’ but is not giving the same results as the Heal tool. And the heal tool won’t let me choose different source and target layers/Pictures.

There is no real problem having to work on a copy of the picture but I would prefer to work on a blank layer if possible as it’s easier to ‘erase’ mistakes. It’s very easy to loose some detail (eg. in the ears) if the brush is too big.

I just did a search. The healing tool is mentioned 412 times in 95.000 posts here at RP. And only about 200 of these are prior to CS. A Very under used tool.

Maybe we need to start a new Glossary. – Glossary of Problems. – Where we could post faults and solutions.
There are so many tools and methods. The ‘Real Trick’ is finding the correct one

I did find these from the search which I need to try

http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/sho...hlight=healing

http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/sho...hlight=healing

Ken
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-07-2005, 11:22 PM

ken,

ok, the heal tool must be similar to the makeover tool in that it draws its solution from the surrounding info.

what you could also try is smudge/push. i sometimes use this in very tight quarters rather than clone. just use a very small brush on a medium opacity. and just because i dont know what you know, you do know that you can overlap the clone tool on a line of two different colors/opacities/and luminosities and clone both sides of the line at once, right (as in an ear) ?
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-08-2005, 07:05 AM

http://www.informit.com/articles/art...99806&seqNum=2
Sometimes you just can't find a good sample source in an image. All is not lost. In these cases, you can open a second image and sample it. Here's how:
1. Open the two images in Photoshop.
2. Select the Healing Brush tool.
3. Click the image you want to sample to bring it forward, hold down Option (Mac) or Alt (Windows), and click to sample an area.
4. Click the image needing repair to bring it to the front.
Click and drag to paint as you normally would.
End Quote

It looks like I CAN Sample from another image. I just can’t paint onto a blank layer.

Ken
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-08-2005, 08:50 AM

Quote:
It looks like I CAN Sample from another image. I just can’t paint onto a blank layer.
ok, that's a bit weird. maybe you could just cut and paste the area you wanted painted onto the blank layer then. or, and i have done something similar to this, put an extremely light fill, like 1% opacity of a light or white color, on the layer first and then use the other technique to 'heal' directly to the 'blank' (now with a very light fill) layer. i've done that with other tools that dont want to paint directly to a blank layer.

Craig
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help