RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

New here, looking for help

Old 12-07-2005, 12:26 AM

New here, looking for help

My grandfather just passed away Nov. 30th and I have a lot of family members wanted these pictures to be fixed up to be able to get some large prints. These pictures were some that he had been carrying in his wallet, some for over 40 years. They have a lot of wear to them. I did what I could with them, and was told to try everyone here for some help. I was told that you guys are very supportive and helpful with these kind of situations. I appreciate any help you can give. On behalf of me and all my family, we thank you in advance for your time and hopefully your help.
Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg scan0001.jpg (57.2 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg scan0002.jpg (43.7 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg scan0003.jpg (39.9 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg scan0005.jpg (31.5 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg scan0004.jpg (46.2 KB, 9 views)

Last edited by chickieceba; 12-08-2005 at 12:27 AM. Reason: to repost the resized pics.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-07-2005, 01:34 AM

Hi, there!

I am very sorry about your granfather...

First of, I want to say that your pictures have a very low resolution. If you want someone to help you, you need to scan it at about 300-600 ppi

it is very important
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-07-2005, 09:38 AM
Patron

New Here Looking For Help

If you are trying to get a "print quality" file, then you should really scan the image at min 1200 dpi. Also because the file size limits on Retouch Pro are low, it might be adviseable to upload a high resolution file to another host and paste the link to it in this thread. Regards, MM
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-07-2005, 10:46 AM

The higher the dpi the better but I've had some fine print quality with 600-900 dpi as well.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-07-2005, 03:21 PM

i think it was ByRo that pointed this out in another thread. since i dont recall which thread i'll paraphrase what he said, since i also believe this to be true. ANY scan over 600 dpi is ONLY a digital enlargement and not an optical one. in other words, it's the same as if you moved the image into photoshop and zoomed in on the picture. it's just a digital enhancement past 600 dpi. so, you really dont need to scan at higher than 600 dpi if you have a decent paint program.

this also happens to be what digital zoom means on a camera (as opposed to optical zoom). it's just a digital enlarging, which you can do in any decent paint program. so, dont be fooled by scanners and digital cameras that claim high digital scan and zoom rates. it's nothing more than a digital enlargement!

Craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-07-2005, 04:03 PM
Patron

Chickieceba Welcome to Retouch Pro

All of us are glad you decided to visit. There is good advice on how to size your photos so you can upload the pictures at the proper size for this web site. Click: HERE

Several of us will be able to help you out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Child.jpg (11.9 KB, 13 views)

Last edited by philbach; 12-07-2005 at 04:16 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-07-2005, 04:09 PM

i took a look at the first one. and whereas a larger size might have worked better, i didnt really see much problem with the one posted. so, i went ahead and did some quick work on it.

Craig

edit: oh, and welcome to RP!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg scan0001-1-k-1.jpg (95.2 KB, 19 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-08-2005, 12:20 AM

Thanks so much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by philbach
All of us are glad you decided to visit. There is good advice on how to size your photos so you can upload the pictures at the proper size for this web site. Click: HERE

Several of us will be able to help you out.
Just want to say great job and see if you could possibly help with this one. I also wanted to try to see if I resized any better for this forum.
Thanks to all.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg scan0004.jpg (46.2 KB, 15 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-08-2005, 12:27 AM

Hi chickieceba!

Welcome to RP!

... So sorry about your grandfather ....

I agree with Balky here .... Size and resolution are very important .... the more details you have to work on, the better the results ...

The RP's size limit per attachment is 100KB (200KB in our Gallery) ... and you can add up to 5 Attachments per post ...

Phil has provided a link to a very detailed explanation about image size ... if you are working with Photoshop 7 or higher you can have a look at this...

That said, I had a go at some of your pictures ... The one with the young couple was the worst to work on as it had very few details ... but here is what I managed ...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F_scan0005.jpg (99.6 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg F_scan0001.jpg (98.0 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg F_scan0003.jpg (97.4 KB, 23 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-08-2005, 12:30 AM

Please retry. Really need help. I resized!!

I resized all the pictures I posted in the first post. Could you guys try to help me a little now? I just want to get these to be great for my family. They are all counting on me to try to get them to look good enough to have 5x7's made. I appreciate the help to those of you who have already replied.
Thanks,
Carrie
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help