RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

family photo needs help

Old 12-09-2005, 01:30 PM

family photo needs help

I'm new here -- Could use all the help I can get on "fixing" this photo -- I've made several attempts at it myself, but to no avail -- my photoshop trial expired as i was starting on it -- tried doing some work on it prior, but it didn't work out so well -- ultimately, i want it for a x-mas mailing card -- feel free to change background, clothing to reflect holiday -- and also smooth out picture overall and retouch faces -- thx!!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-09-2005, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by makeovermagic
-- ultimately, i want it for a x-mas mailing card -- feel free to change background, clothing to reflect holiday -- and also smooth out picture overall and retouch faces -- thx!!!!!!!!!
We will all gladly help you but we're not a free retouching service. The picture you posted is far too small to work with also.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-09-2005, 03:17 PM

Welcome to RetouchPRO! Do you have any image editing software now? You may want to consider something like Photoshop Elements 3.0. It's inexpensive compared to the full blown Photoshop and will probably do everything you will ever need. Also, can you post samples of your efforts. That way we can better make suggestions.
Cheers

Dave
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-09-2005, 03:23 PM

Elements 4 is the current version, last I saw was $79 at costco.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-09-2005, 03:54 PM

As NancyJ says, this is a learning forum, where we help each other to learn retouching and restoration techniques (and a whole lot more).

If you are wanting help with learning how to improve your picture, we will be pleased to help, though from the tone of your post, it is not clear that is what you want.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-09-2005, 04:51 PM

Ultimately, i would like some input on where to start on retouching this photo. My version of Photoshop CS2 just expired today and was unable to work on the picture any more -- the one I attached was the original. I was able today to install Illustrator CS2 -- is that comparable? I am trying to get my feet wet with retouching, and am looking for some guidance.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-09-2005, 04:53 PM

Illustrator is a whole different animal I'm afraid, and as I said in my original post we'd need a bigger picture really to offer any guidance. If that is the full original file then try rescanning it at a higher resolution - ideally around 200ppi.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-09-2005, 05:38 PM

i have a larger version of it -- i minimized it because of the upload capacity -- i can email a larger version to anyone interested -- i was hoping that the photo could get revamped, retouched, etc. with a description of what was done so that i could try it on my own -- i'm having trouble just "winging it."

Thanks very much!
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-09-2005, 06:50 PM

Unless you are able to acquire software for digital editing, you will not be able to replicate anything done for you here.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-09-2005, 11:48 PM

makeovermagic,

welcome to RP!

what the folks here are asking for is an image that is somewhere around 800 x 600 pixels in IMAGE size, but like you've found out there is a FILE size of 100k. these are different beasts, image and file sizes. what you have to do is RESIZE the image and COMPRESS the file size. most all paint programs should be able to do this. if you currently dont have one that can, you can get something like the free version of IRFANVIEW or the GIMP. just do a google search for these and you'll find them.

the GIMP is also a paint program which you can use to do the editing and retouching you want to do. we have several folks here who use it and you can then be helped better as we'll have some commonality. and like i said, the GIMP is free, open source, and freely downloadable. it's a decent program, not as good as photoshop, but decent. this would get you something quick to work with.

Craig
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help