RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Extend an Image - Create what wasn't there

Old 12-12-2005, 04:53 PM

Extend an Image - Create what wasn't there

I don't know the right term for this so I'm not sure if this was covered before.

I've got an image that I'd like to extend the wall of. The couch will have objects on it so what I have already done is passible... although i'm open to advice to make it better.

As you can see, there is a black gap in the wall that needs to be filled. I have a problem of extending the wall because of the gradients. I have tried creating a tecture from the original and applying it to the space, but that doesn't look right at all. Using the rubber stamp is to hard to be convincing here.

I'm doing this in Fireworks MX with which I'm more familiar than Photoshop with, but I have PS4 (and GIMP if that helps ). I decided to post in a Photoshop forum (hope you don't mind) as Fireworks forums are less involved in such photo manipulation. But I'm sure that a technique in one can be relatively applied to another program.

Any tips appreaciated.

Thanks,
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-12-2005, 10:14 PM

clone and push. the Gimp has both of these.

Craig

edit: had to reduce this quite a bit to make it fit the 100k limit. so, it doesnt look right as posted here.

edit: oh, and welcome to RP
Attached Images
File Type: jpg redroom_extend-1-k-1.jpg (97.6 KB, 63 views)

Last edited by Craig Walters; 12-12-2005 at 11:45 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-13-2005, 08:51 AM
Patron

Room Extension

Well in photoshop I selected the lamp and its shadow and copied that to a new layer. Since the lamp was now out of the way I selected all of the wall from the top of the sofa to the ceiling and painted a gradient with the foreground sample being the lighter ceiling and the background sample being near the sofa. I added some monochromatic noise to this gradient to give a feel of texture.

The photo that you posted had evidence of previous cloning. The background sofa shows irregularities and the carpet doesn't fit under the sofas very well. Oh well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Extension.jpg (99.1 KB, 50 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-13-2005, 09:14 AM

Hello Metal_Guru

I copied the image to a new layer, then erased the black area and the dark paper curl.

I stretched the wall starting at the painting and above the lamp to cover the transparent area to the right.

I copied that stretched wall to a layer I put behind the background copy. I stretched the wall down to the sofa. With a 10% eraser, I made the two layers match.

I brightened the lamp shade affected by the paper curl to be consistent wih the shadow.

You will have to add cushion separations in addition to objects to make the clone-stretch of the sofa work. Also the painting is awkward, but that part is not your fault.

Pierre
Attached Images
File Type: jpg redroom_panpan.jpg (99.4 KB, 45 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-22-2005, 01:52 AM

Thanks all!

Thanks guys. Sorry that is took me long to reply, its just its been a really busy week and I couldn't get to work on this. And I didn't expect people to go through and do all the work to show me. I suppose its like flicking your fingers for you, eh? Thanks again for the images and advice.

With your help I have extended the wall perfectly. It didn't occur to me that I could cut off from the edn of the painting... and I was thinking of extending it from where it ended... silly of me.
The easiest way turned was to create a red solid box and give it some noise. My mistake at first was to cut a strip and extend it or use it as a fill.

@Kraelin - what is the push? You mean the smudge?

@Panpan - I an going to replace the painting within the frame. I don't like it either.

@ Philbach - Yes, I understand that the carpet isn't realistic, I am trying to work out some passable effect. Know of any?
As for the couch, I shall have figures sitting on it so I'm sure that the overlaying layers will not be seen. Heres hoping anyhow.

Interested, if you guys have Photoshop, why do you know GIMP? Or do you just like playing around with other programs? I hear lots of people complain that the shortcuts are different but I wonder why they use it if they know Photoshop. Curious...
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-22-2005, 04:41 AM
Patron

Building a room

Well to make the rug better you have to do it like you would at home in your living room. You need to put the rug down before you place the sofa on it. And while your at it you should paint your wall before you hang pictures and a lamp.

So to do that digitally you carefully select your sofa, lamp and picture and get it out of the way by putting it in a separate layer. Place your carpet down and "paint" the wall on lower layers and then place your furniture in the new room.

By carefully managing the shadows and stuff you can make it look normal and natural.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-22-2005, 03:36 PM

metal guru,

Quote:
@Kraelin - what is the push? You mean the smudge?
push is sort of an extra heavy smudge in paint shop pro. it not only smears like smudge, but continues to take the same color/texture you first picked up and carries on with it. very handy in some situations.

as for why some folks use more than one paint program, your question to me about push answers it somewhat. diff programs may have the same tools but they arent always one to one the same in effect. and, some programs just dont have what others have. you'll commonly see folks with pscs2 also using painter, for instance. whereas pscs2 is the cadillac of graphic editors, it just doesnt do everything or everything the same way.

craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-22-2005, 10:08 PM

As it has been mentioned, this picture was worked on.
I'm not sure I was the only one that noticed it, but the picture is "squashed" and it is specially noticeble on the family picture on the corner table on the left.
The heads look like horizontal ovals.
I adjusted the height of the image, moved the carpet under the couches and rebuilt the lamp shade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal_Guru
I don't know the right term for this so I'm not sure if this was covered before.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg red_room.jpg (97.1 KB, 20 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-22-2005, 11:43 PM

Quote:
I'm not sure I was the only one that noticed it, but the picture is "squashed" and it is specially noticeble on the family picture on the corner table on the left.
Ha, you sure are observant, Frank. Actually, I streched it as to get the best possible width, but still lacking some, I had to add more wall to it. I didn't think anyone will notice the family portraits... but it doesn't matter as I'm going to remove those too... in fact I doubt how much of the original image will be left at this rate.

Quote:
moved the carpet under the couches
really, why? I noticed you darkened it and yes, that's better...

@Craig - Gotcha, thanks.

BTW Frank, I like your site.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-23-2005, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal_Guru
...moved the carpet under the couches...
really, why? I noticed you darkened it and yes, that's better...
@Craig - Gotcha, thanks.
BTW Frank, I like your site.
I moved the carpet for the same reasons that philbach mentioned: you first add the carpet to the room and the color to the walls an then you add the furniture and the accessories. It could be done the other way around but it becomes very difficult to match the carpet to the fringe of the couches.

And thanks for visiting www.franklopes.com
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help