RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Need Help:-(

Old 12-15-2005, 11:04 PM

Need Help:-(

Do any of you think that you can help me out with this one, I have tried a few things with little success.

www.cyberdesigns.us/old_proof.jpg

-Thanks-
-Rob-
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-16-2005, 03:54 AM

Hi Rob !
I downloaded your image to see what I can come up with. I am no expert on this but I am sure it will attract many of the "gurus" here.

Seems in a lesser extent like the last Nov 5 Contest. Fortunatelly your image does not seem to be discoloured.

What do you want to do with it, restore only, colourize, retouch ? All of them !!

I think I could have something to show by Saturday evening or Sunday morning. Hope you don't have a deadline to meet :o !

REgards - Martha
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-16-2005, 04:38 AM
Patron

Old Proof

Well I kept this image in Greyscale. I used levels which helped some, but the distribution of luminosity varies across the photo.

I removed the spots with various healing brushes and clone tools.
I copied the layer and used darken blending mode and a median filter. To this layer I added a black mask and painted in white where small spots where.

End result?? So so. There is a wavy irregularity across the print that I didn't try to remove.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg OldProof2.jpg (72.2 KB, 54 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-16-2005, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philbach
Well I kept this image in Greyscale. I used levels which helped some, but the distribution of luminosity varies across the photo.

I removed the spots with various healing brushes and clone tools.
I copied the layer and used darken blending mode and a median filter. To this layer I added a black mask and painted in white where small spots where.

End result?? So so. There is a wavy irregularity across the print that I didn't try to remove.
That damn wave, that is the part that needs to go but I do not think it is going to be possible. Marthig I just want it restored the guy I am doing it for has paid out a lot to other people to get it done with very poor results so I told him I would not charge him if I could not get rid of the wave on the photo. It is one of the worst I have ever seen so I do not know if it can be done.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-16-2005, 03:33 PM

Two ideas:

-Try a combination of highpass and lowpass filtering to isolate the variation and remove it.
-The pattern might be non-random or narrow-band enough that you can remove it using the FFT.

Bart
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-16-2005, 03:33 PM
Patron

Scan in Color

Perhaps scanning this in color would help with the restoration.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-16-2005, 03:38 PM

Hi Rob.

I have just spent quite a while trying to improve your picture and I can’t really improve on what Phil has done.

I also spent a while with FFT and although there are some stars to remove they don’t help.

We may be able to help you better if you could post the image in colour.
Please rescan in RGB and post it again.

Thanks.

Ken.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-16-2005, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philbach
Perhaps scanning this in color would help with the restoration.
Tried that, ended up converting to grayscale but I will post the color image anyway;-) Remember this is a PROOF image not a photo so the proof is extremely dark.

-Thanks Everyone-
-Rob-

Color Link Below:

www.cyberdesigns.us/old_proof_color.jpg

Last edited by Soul_Seeker_USA; 12-16-2005 at 03:57 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-16-2005, 10:51 PM

Blech! It turns out the waviness is low frequency random noise and it's about the same frequency as the people and the contours on their faces--so if you remove it, you remove the people too.

So you need a finer instrument--good ol' NR software. I used PSPX NR and gave it many samples of the waviness from the curtains and then cranked up the low frequency NR to nearly maximum and turned off the medium and high frequency NR completely. Even this didn't get it all, but it's better.

Prior to the NR, I cut out their faces, arms, and the bouquette's using the background eraser tool--if you don't then the NR flattens the shadows on the faces.

Then I ran a light dose of JPEG artifact removal and high frequency NR to smooth out the broad-band noise.

So the first picture is simply those three steps--LF NR on everything except exposed skin and flowers, then light NR on the result.

http://home.comcast.net/~zumbari/Ret...Proof2_fix.jpg

The second picture is just additionally using the clarify filter--I like how it boldens the image, but this is subjective so I included both. I didn't do anything else--it's pretty straightforward to remove the specs.

http://home.comcast.net/~zumbari/Ret...ix_clarify.jpg

Bart
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-16-2005, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bart_hickman
Blech! It turns out the waviness is low frequency random noise and it's about the same frequency as the people and the contours on their faces--so if you remove it, you remove the people too.

So you need a finer instrument--good ol' NR software. I used PSPX NR and gave it many samples of the waviness from the curtains and then cranked up the low frequency NR to nearly maximum and turned off the medium and high frequency NR completely. Even this didn't get it all, but it's better.

Prior to the NR, I cut out their faces, arms, and the bouquette's using the background eraser tool--if you don't then the NR flattens the shadows on the faces.

Then I ran a light dose of JPEG artifact removal and high frequency NR to smooth out the broad-band noise.

So the first picture is simply those three steps--LF NR on everything except exposed skin and flowers, then light NR on the result.

http://home.comcast.net/~zumbari/Ret...Proof2_fix.jpg

The second picture is just additionally using the clarify filter--I like how it boldens the image, but this is subjective so I included both. I didn't do anything else--it's pretty straightforward to remove the specs.

http://home.comcast.net/~zumbari/Ret...ix_clarify.jpg

Bart
Looks much better Bart, thanks. And about all the stuff you just ratteled off I do not have a clue:-P Damn I have a long ways to go in this field;-)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help