RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Noise - Really thick and nasty

Old 12-18-2005, 12:27 AM

Noise - Really thick and nasty

AFter many years of experience in photo manipulation with photoshop as a hobbyst i recently started photo restorations a part time job in a photo lab.

I have a picture of a man sittiing in a table hugged with other people. My task is to isolate that peson. I managed to do the extraction right but the problem is the huge and thick white noise of the picture that completely ruins the face. Note that the image is scanned at 300 dpi and the face covers only a very small portion of the picture ... so it is very small.

I tried all noise removal filters ( im using PS 6.0) like median or dust and scraches but at the point they remove the noise the image gets extremelly blured. What i ended up doing was smudging all over the image to make it smoother but that made it like a painting and it didnt seem to satisfy my boss.

I ll try to clone the image with PAinter IX but i dont know if it can give something realistic enough.

Do you think that scanning the photo at a bigger resolution will help. Bigger resolutions usually are better but in this case i think this will also magnify the noise.

Ooooffff too much text. I wont post a sample cause the client might not want his photo on the net.
What do you suggest? Thanks in advance for any advice.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-18-2005, 12:53 AM

hi barretlight,

and welcome to RP.

one thing you can do when you think folks might object to posting their pictures is, post a portion of it so we can get a better idea.

another thing you can try is the plugin and stand-alone called Neat Image, which is an excellent noise remover and there is a free version. the free version wont act as a plugin, but it's the same software. so, it wont be dependent on whether or not PS 6 can use that plugin.

however, almost all noise removal tools/programs have a compromise with them. they tend to reduce the sharpness or clarity of an image. one can limit that liability with practice and the use of blending modes and other tricks which you can read about on these forums.

and, as you've discovered, smudge is the wrong tool for that job, at least as the main tool. you want clone or heal or in some instances, push (which is similar to smudge, but not quite the same). clone is probably what you want here or possibly clone and a combo of that and something like Neat Image.

you might also try the free Polaroid dust and scratch removal plugin. that one is also good for certain cleaning processes.

not being able to see your image it's hard to say which tool you really want for sure. but that shld give you some ways to go on this.

Craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-18-2005, 06:47 AM

THanks for the advice. I ll try neat image right now. And i ll propably try to get a new version of photoshop that has the heal and push commands you mentioned.

Thats a sample of what i'm talking about.
http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/3...na401sm2mg.jpg

Last edited by BarretLight; 12-18-2005 at 06:54 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-18-2005, 08:18 AM
Patron

Noisy Photo

Well I used Neat Image with aggressive Low Frequency and smooth edges settings. I also adjusted the color and luminosity of the image.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Noise.jpg (18.6 KB, 71 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-18-2005, 01:24 PM

Well i did almost the same thing. Neat image is very powerfull and it is free!!!
I never thought it could do such an impressive job without bluring the image.Thanks for the support.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-18-2005, 11:10 PM

barret,

yup, neat image is a standard around here

i went a couple steps further and also didnt use neat image, but rather paint shop pro's digital noise remover followed by the polaroid dust and scratch remover. however, i hated those bottles in there, so i removed them

Craig
Attached Images
File Type: jpg psina401sm2mg-1-k-1.jpg (94.0 KB, 31 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-19-2005, 12:10 PM

If you have Photoshop CS2, there is a great new filter included called Surface Blur. I ran it once on your image at default settings. Quite a difference
Attached Images
File Type: jpg swampys-psina401sm2mg.jpg (31.7 KB, 39 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-19-2005, 12:32 PM
Patron

Surface Blur

Darn I didn't even know about that. Thanks for the tip and it does work great on this type of photo
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-19-2005, 01:01 PM

Hehe, Phil... Stick with me, hon, one day you might learn something.. That one feature alone was worth the price of the upgrade. LOL
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help