RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

paper weight

Old 12-06-2005, 11:14 AM

Photo in paper weight

Someone came to me with this issue: He has a family photo that is adhered to the bottom of a half-round of glass that is used as a paper weight. He wants the photo to be duplicated so it can be printed and framed. I tried scanning, but the scanner didn't give good results, so I tried taking a photo of it and though I got much better results, the photo is still .... blurry(ish). I hoped that maybe someone who is more familiar with the workings of a camera might be able to tell me what settings I can use on my camera to get a clearer digital copy of the photo to work with. Thank you.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-06-2005, 03:05 PM
Janitor

Without removing it (perhaps a hair-dryer?) I can't think of a thing. Using the largest f-stop setting (smallest aperture) you can on the camera might help with varying focus, but you'll still have the obvious refraction problems. Perhaps the liquify filter could help with those.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-06-2005, 04:03 PM

Hi PJ.

I’ve never done this. But here are some thoughts.

Your best chance of a decent picture is by using a SLR type camera.

The glass may alter the focus distance so use the viewfinder to focus.

You will have to experiment with the aperture. Normally you use a small aperture to copy photos but if there are any imperfections in the glass then a larger aperture may be better.

Even when you manage to get a sharp image it will be distorted. You may be better trying to take pictures from different angles and then stitching them together
Also you could try a macro lens and a telephoto to find which gives the best results.

Reflections.
A polarising filter will cut down any reflections off the glass if that is a problem.

Lighting.
Must be even. Outside on an overcast day. There are some tips here
http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/photo-restoration/11621-please-help-glare.html

Good Luck

Ken
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-06-2005, 04:21 PM

I would think that the top surface of the glass is also scratched, rough, and unless you cleaned it, very dirty and greasy. This of course will add to all the points raised above.

Is the print in color or B&W?

Have you tried an SLR camera, and what did the result look like?

Mike
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-06-2005, 05:10 PM

I wonder if you could take it somewhere and have them resurface the glass part to make it flat so that a photo could be taken easier?

Just a thought.

Loverly
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-11-2005, 06:45 PM

Cameraken, I have a Canon Powershot S2 IS. It's digital and 5 Megapixels. I don't know what an F-Stop is, but I'll give a run through the owner manual and figure it out. I apologize for my ignorance, but I don't have a lot of experience with cameras. I get around Photoshop very well, so manipulating an image is no problem, but I've never had a desire to get into photography.

Mike, the surface of the glass is neither scratched, rough dirty, or greasy. It's just like new. The print looks like sepia tone.

Loverly, the paper weight does not belong to me, so I can't have it resurfaced.

Thank you all for you suggestions.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0021.jpg (59.6 KB, 25 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-20-2005, 10:24 PM

paper weight

This photo is in a paper weight and the owner wants it as a regular photo to put in an album. The photo can not be removed from the glass it's under. I couldn't scan it, so my only alternative was to take a photo of the paper weight and try to remove the refraction from the glass so it appears square and flat as a normal photo would. I realize there will be much cloning to bring the leafy background into a square, but my main concern is... well... obvious. How does one "un-orb" an orb?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0027.jpg (40.0 KB, 39 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-20-2005, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ Staley
This photo is in a paper weight and the owner wants it as a regular photo to put in an album. The photo can not be removed from the glass it's under. I couldn't scan it, so my only alternative was to take a photo of the paper weight and try to remove the refraction from the glass so it appears square and flat as a normal photo would. I realize there will be much cloning to bring the leafy background into a square, but my main concern is... well... obvious. How does one "un-orb" an orb?
Hey happy holidays!
Sorry I've got back problems going on or I'd sit and do you up an example.. But I've done this before! Yaay something I've got an answer for!

Liquify has a lovely little tool called "pucker". The trick is select the orb as a whole, use your select/transform selection option til you have the whole thing. Then go into liquify, choose "pucker", make sure your brush covers the WHOLE orb as the center of the brush will be where you want it to be less destorted, and gently click starting out small until you have the image somewhat less distorted. It can take a few seconds, or a few hours, depending on the glass and/or the angle of the light refraction.
By the way, this is a lovely little bit for those old convex glass photographs.
Good luck!
Teri
P.S. fabulous tool for photos of your inlaws if your upset with them. good therapy!
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-21-2005, 06:33 AM
Patron

UnOrbing

Well I didn't adjust the proportions of the photo, the couple looked about right, but I did select the couple and worked on them and the background separately. I used levels to adjust the luminosity and Shadow Highlight on a masked layer to brighten up some dark areas. I also desaturated the image using the red channel which seemed to have the fewest artifacts.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Paper.jpg (13.8 KB, 30 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-21-2005, 09:10 AM

pj,

welcome to RP.

this is actually fairly simple. make a selection of the circular image.
using the distortion tools in the effects menu, pick 'pinch'. set this to about 24 and apply. it shld remove the distortion pretty well.

now, that's in psp 10. what the equivalent in ps is, i'm not sure, but probably fairly similar.

craig
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help